'19 54cm CAAD12 Disc Dreambike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Denverweenie

by Denverweenie

After 1 ride, so far so good, need to adjust front derailleur so it doesn’t rub in big/ middle gears

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Denverweenie

by Denverweenie

Quick update:

I'm liking eTap but I'm getting rubbing in the big ring and the middle cogs. The weird thing is that it appears to rub when I'm riding, but not on the stand. Can't figure it out, but otherwise it shifts like a dream. I find myself shifting a lot more often because it's effortless.

I've swapped the C3 bar for an Easton E100 with Lizardskin tape. Amazingly, the stock bar plugs were extremely heavy expander bolts that I was happy to chuck.

I also decided to keep the carbon SAVE seatpost and chop 100mm off of it, saving significant weight because of the battery holder hardware at the bottom.

These mods alone allowed me to go from 16.09 to 15.74 lbs, a third of a pound!

Next up is a lot of bolt swap outs including:
6x C3 stem bolts
2x SAVE seat clamp bolts
4x disc brake mount bolts
New steerer tube expander bolt assembly
Front through axle lever attachment bolt, or just remove it and store it in my tool kit.
Possibly replacing my Ritchey Micro pedals with Xpedo

With any luck, I might break 15.5 lbs but gettign below UCI 7.8kg/15 lbs seems out of reach

Stunningly, I realized that the brake lever clamps and bolts are steel!

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Nice ride, love silver frames but yet to own a non Ti painted silver frameset. Maybe one day. I think you mean 6.8kg^ not 7.8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

Denverweenie

by Denverweenie

Here's another pic

MountainAddict

by MountainAddict

Up in Genesee Park I see - nice! Bike is looking good.

Easy weight savings would be to trim the excess steerer tube.

Denverweenie

by Denverweenie

Yup, steerer tube is on my list. I just want to get some more miles in first to see how I like the stack height first.
That said a centimeter of carbon fiber tube and spacer won't add up to much. It will mostly be aestetic.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Super nice ride! I’ve been eyeing the 105 silver version and upgrading it with mech DA.

Is the silver painted or just clear coat? I hope just clear coat, harkens back to the Caad8 which was way ahead of its time.

I have a Caad12 dark grey ano that I built up with Chorus that I’ve used as a crit bike and winter training bike and travel bike. It’s had a few bashes but is going on strong. I did try the Helix post but got a lot of slippage so went back to the save one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denverweenie

by Denverweenie

The bike is silver painted, with a metalic glitter-like finish. It also has some small yellow-green neon accents and some black stripes as well, but nothing as gaudy as large orange stripes on the 2018 version https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bike/ ... 8bbf9a9911.

I wish there was clear coat version, but with just one model for 2019, I guess we have to be thankfull that there's any CAAD12 disc offered.

One thing I'm just getting used to is the quick handling. It feels like a crit-bike compared to my rather generic Motobecane that I've been on since '06.

I like your matte finish bike. Where is that, Lake Como?

ilikegreen

by ilikegreen

Love this bike!

Would you mind please sharing your experience with the i9.35s?

I'm considering a set to add to a CAAD12 with eTap also so any feedback you have on your build would be thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated.

Denverweenie

by Denverweenie

The i9.35 was a bit of a leap, as there's very scarce info online about them. I wanted an ultra lightweight climbing wheelset, with tubeless ready, disc-specific rims. Previously, I found myself breaking spokes on my drive side rear with increasing frequency as my aluminum wheelsets (Ritchey, and Bontrager) approached 5 years old. That's why I was really attracted to the i9.35 double spokes on the drive side rear and the disc side front. I also prefer straight pull spokes to j-bend, centerlock to 6 bolt, and I was ready to jump on the wide rim bandwagon.

The weight comes in around 1350 grams which is astonishing to me, over 100 grams ligher than my aluminum, non-disc clincher wheelsts. The wheels are light, stiff, and I can really feel the difference cornering with the wider rims. I'm running 25mm Hutchinson tires, and I couldn't imagine going narrower. 28mm would probably be a bit more appropriate, but I don't like the extra weigth and rolling resistance. I did pull off about 20 grams worth of heavy duty vinyl stickers from both sides of both wheels.

They are a bit loud, as most people say, and they don't come with disc lockrings or skewers/through axles. I hope that helps.

Do you have a link to your specs for your CAAD12 disc?

ilikegreen

by ilikegreen

Thank you so much for your reply, it's fantastic to hear confirmation of the reviews from an actual owner -especially one who looks to be taking full advantage of them as you seem to be.

My plan is to build a homage to my now-gone CAAD4. It was an Atom Green triple with Yellow-Orange fade stickers and orange Mavic Open Pros. Loved the look and feel of the bike and remember it fondly as it helped me to lose 76kg (my ex-wife vetoed its purchase and she weighed 60kg).

Right now I'm looking out for a 58cm flat-mount disc frame in any colour and spec for a good price in Australia. And for some misfortune money to arrive. There's a 2018 Ultegra that has appeared so I'm holding my breath. Hopefully the timing will work out and a set of i9.35s with orange hubs and spoke nipples will be in an airbag for Christmas :)

But enough about me and more about your dream bike that happens to be the same as mine, except more tangible and less gaudy. What's the current weight now that you've presumably cut the steerer tube down to an aesthetically pleasing level? And have you overcome the eTap issues?

Denverweenie

by Denverweenie

I haven't overcome my etap issues, mostly because I haven't had the time to ride, let alone troubleshoot it.

The latest additions are bolt on through axles front and bolt on skewer for the rear. Thy reyplace the rather overisezed stock QR handle attached with a steel bolt in the front, and the DT Swiss QR with ti axle I bought in the rear. I went with chinese stuff from ebay, with a double butted ti axle rear. I figure that tubeless tires flat so rarely, and I always have an allen key set on my anyways. Saved about 65g total and it looks a hell of a lot more cleaner and more aero too. That, and I got rid of the shimano lockrings on the disc rotors and went wtih KCNC. Barely any weight savings, but it just seemed so weird to have shimano lockrings on a bike with no other shimano parts. And as I've mentioned, I'm not a big shimano fan, to put it mildly.

I haven't had the steerer cut down yet, as I still want to put a few more miles on it to make sure I like the position. That, and I want to replace the stem with an Extralite Hyperstem. The stock stem is 6deg, 100mm, and I'm thinking of going to 12 deg and whatever increase the lenghth (110 or 120 I guess) so I can remove spacers and lower the stem on the steerer tube while still getting the bar in the same place. That will enable cutting down the stem a bit more, for weight and aestetics.

I also have a much lighter stem plug on order to replace the stock boat anchor. It's really baffling some of the heavy parts that come stock on such an awesome frame, but then again, it comes with aluminum bottle bolts and a ti seatpost bolt, so it makes no sense.
Current weight is down to 15.6 lbs, and I'm guestimating that the new stem, expander plug, and cutdown, along with replacing about a dozen steel bolts with ti should bring me down to 15.3. Oh so close to the UCI limit, but not quite. My best guess is that maybe in a few years someone comes out with a compelling aftermarket road disc brake caliper set that's ultra light, and perhaps some kind of ti or carbon rotors that get me under UCI. (which may very well change by then anyways). Superlight pedals might be an option, but I'm a little over the weight limit for the Xpedos I want. Till then, I just don't see it with this frame and fork.

I'm not in a huge hurry, as I really only get to ride a few times a month in the winter due to cold, snow and lack of daylight in Colorado this time of year. I also like to get in a little snowboarding when I can, so there's that. But I'll be signing up for next year's Triple Bypass ride soon, and I'll be training hard once again come early spring.