Bianchi Oltre XR2 - The rebirth

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

GregarioForHire

by GregarioForHire

Hi there. Figured the best way to introduce myself was with a build!

My Oltre XR2 had begun to look a bit tired having been ridden to death the last four years. However, after not finding anything currently frame wise that I felt could adequately replace it's ride. I decided she would stay but with a whole new lease of life.

So firstly she's getting repainted, then the fun begins as I try and drag the weight way down. I'm not going to lie, she was a bit of a porker. 7.6kg in a size 57 with cages and pedals. (Although the main culprit was the near 1kg FSA Powerbox.) All that is going to change though. We start with the frame and build up again.

Here she is right now:
Screenshot_20180827-213600_Instagram.jpg
Frame with all hardware removed:
Frame stripped size 57
Frame stripped size 57
Fork with just the expander and crown race in place:
Fork
Fork
Seatpost collar:
Seat collar
Seat collar
Seatpost was 205g with clamp and bolts.

I have no idea where this is going to go, what the target weight is or what rabbit holes this will take me down but just plan to have fun with it. The only changes I won't be making just yet are the wheels (Bora One 50 Clinchers) and shifters and mechs. (Chorus) The Boras I like too much to part with and having weighed out SR and Chorus the saving of 39 grams in the three components I'm keeping is not worth the outlay at this early stage, I'll have another look when i'm struggling for cheaper grams. The planned paintjob is not for the faint hearted. But again, this is meant to be a fun project.

I'll update as I go.

Cheers!

peroni

by peroni

Looking forward to see what comes out of this project!

p.s.
My 2014 XR2 size 57 with mechanical SR, zonda c17, Bepro pedals and two bottle cages is exactly 7.1kg
Bianchi Oltre XR2 2014 Campagnolo SR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

coriordan

by coriordan

I do like a striking paintjob.

GregarioForHire

by GregarioForHire

peroni wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:22 pm
Looking forward to see what comes out of this project!

p.s.
My 2014 XR2 size 57 with mechanical SR, zonda c17, Bepro pedals and two bottle cages is exactly 7.1kg
What Bar and stem combo are you using currently?

I had been using a Team Issue 120mm stem and 42cm Gossamer Wing pro bar (I have a good deal with FSA, hence the powerbox) But with the stem weighing 166g and the bars 315g, the first thing I'm doing is scouring the cockpit options. Firstly I toyed with Deda Superleggera / Superleggero combo as these can be had pretty cheap at the minute, then I was thinking about the Extralite hyperstem & Schmolke roadbar combo. However as it's all getting painted up I think I'm settled on the Bontrager XXX Integrated bar and stem which comes in circa 240g for 110mm 42cm and I can just sand them down along with the seatpost, (opting for 110mm over 120mm due to the longer reach) Not seeing too many deals on them at the minute but I'll keep hunting. That should be around an immediate 240g off the front end.

As for the crankset, The Extralite QRC 2 and Octalink combo seems appealing and I can drop nearly 500g with them over the ridiculously heavy powerbox and about 150g if I were to put the chorus crank back on.

Saddle wise I have a Fizik Antares R3 large but am looking to a Berk Lupine wide, another 100g gone.

All easy early wins. I've read the threads on The Extralite cranks but any recent updates or experience of them would be appreciated.

peroni

by peroni

GregarioForHire wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:17 pm

What Bar and stem combo are you using currently?

I had been using a Team Issue 120mm stem and 42cm Gossamer Wing pro bar (I have a good deal with FSA, hence the powerbox) But with the stem weighing 166g and the bars 315g, the first thing I'm doing is scouring the cockpit options. Firstly I toyed with Deda Superleggera / Superleggero combo as these can be had pretty cheap at the minute, then I was thinking about the Extralite hyperstem & Schmolke roadbar combo. However as it's all getting painted up I think I'm settled on the Bontrager XXX Integrated bar and stem which comes in circa 240g for 110mm 42cm and I can just sand them down along with the seatpost, (opting for 110mm over 120mm due to the longer reach) Not seeing too many deals on them at the minute but I'll keep hunting. That should be around an immediate 240g off the front end.
My stem is a KCNC Arrow, 120mm and -17°, 153g with the six mounting screws. Handlebar is default FSA K-force carbon compact, I never put it on the scale, other users reports it at around 220 grams for the 420mm version.
I vote for integrated bar, mostly for the looks!
Bianchi Oltre XR2 2014 Campagnolo SR

GregarioForHire

by GregarioForHire

peroni wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:21 pm

I vote for integrated bar, mostly for the looks!
I agree with your vote. Bontrager XXX Integrated bar ordered!

Radiokopf

by Radiokopf

Nice project! I wonder what she will look like after the repaint...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

GregarioForHire

by GregarioForHire

Well, the decision to keep the Chorus parts didn't last long as an opportunity came up and well, it was going to happen in the end right? Shifters acquired, 4 entire grams saved.
Shifters.jpg
Just waiting for the Bontrager XXX integrated bars to arrive and those, the frame, fork and post will be off to the painters.

GregarioForHire

by GregarioForHire

Frame is now at the painters and more parts have been acquired. Did not like the shape of the Bontrager XXX bars so went back to Deda despite the weight penalty.

Items added:

Super Record Shifters
Super Record Rear Mech
Deda Superleggero 110mm Stem
Deda Superleggera 40cm Bars
Berk Lupina 150mm padded saddle
Rotor 3d+ Crankset
Extralite Octaramp 50/34 Chainrings + Extrabolts

Items on the list but not yet picked up:

Tune DC130 Skewers
Tune Wassertrager 2.0 cages
Extralite Ultratop & Ultrabottom
KMC X11SL Chain
Rotor UNO Cassette (Yes I'm going to gamble on this, 136g with steel 'most used' sprockets so worth a try
Raceware direct Wahoo mount
Lizard Skins DSP 1.8
brakes. Brakes, brakes, brakes. What to do about brakes...

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

Curious how the extralite chainrings will shift. I bought some for my build also but the more I read, the less excited I'm becoming about trying them. Havent found much on the new cr2 model which is supposed to have much better performance, but I'm still a bit nervous.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Nick, they're pretty trash. You might get them to mildly acceptable, but it will never be good shifting.

GregarioForHire

by GregarioForHire

It's finally finished.

Yes there are drive-side photos to come but it was shot first this side to fully appreciate the paintjob. The respray was done by Tom at Kustomflow and he's done an incredible job. There is a light flake all the way through and lightning bolt pattern in the clearcoat that you can only see at very specific angles and in certain lights. It's truly incredible. It was all designed by me and carries my son's name on the top tube and my cycling clothing brand's (We Can Be) logo. It's a conversation starter for sure, no shortage of opinion on it. but that is the point.

It's not been far yet, but no problems at all with shifting on the extralite chainrings or the recon cassette, that's with a Chorus front mech mind. It's all talking to each other beautifully.

The details:

2014 Bianchi Oltre XR2 size 57
Campagnolo Super Record mechanical Shifters, brakes and RD
Campagnolo Chorus FD
Campagnolo Bora One 50
Deda Superleggera / Superleggero bar and stem
Rotor 3d+ crankset & BB
Extralite chainrings
Berk Lupina saddle
KMC X11 SL chain
Recon Cassette
Tune Wassertrager 2.0 cages
Tune DC100 / 130 QRs
Schwalbe One tyres
Lizard Skins 1.8mm Bar tape
Campy cables and outers
Time Xpresso 12 pedals
FSA orbit headset
Ti bolts all round

Total weight: 6.32kg
Attachments
IMG_2673.jpg
IMG_2687.jpg
IMG_2645.jpg
IMG_2667.jpg
IMG_2665.jpg
IMG_2657.jpg
IMG_2664.jpg
IMG_2659.jpg
Last edited by GregarioForHire on Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Wow the final product is incredible!!

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

Droolworthy!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nestornnk

by nestornnk