Urgestalt on a diet, now 4662g. Update 03.05.20

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Aeo

by Aeo

KCookie wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:17 am
Extralite jockey wheels installed saved 5.9g. Had to use wider bolts from a spare RD as there was play with the originals.
Be careful, my Extralite jockey wheels broke and ruined the rear derailleur and hanger.

Nice project, are you going to get the Darimo in 3K?
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

Aeo wrote:
KCookie wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:17 am
Extralite jockey wheels installed saved 5.9g. Had to use wider bolts from a spare RD as there was play with the originals.
Be careful, my Extralite jockey wheels broke and ruined the rear derailleur and hanger.

Nice project, are you going to get the Darimo in 3K?
Thanks for the heads up.
No I'll be getting UD matt to match the bike, unfortunately they are 8-10g heavier plus another 8-10g for reinforcing the pre drilled holes, so I might drill my own holes again to save that added weight.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

KCookie

by KCookie

Unfortunately on yesterday's ride the new C-bear BB creaked like mad. Every BB has now done this. It's driving me crazy.
Don't know what to do next.

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

KCookie wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:48 am
Unfortunately on yesterday's ride the new C-bear BB creaked like mad. Every BB has now done this. It's driving me crazy.

Was the BB installed with grease or Loctite? If the bike shop installed it I would check with them as it is more likely an installation issue rather than a BB issue I suspect.
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

KCookie

by KCookie

kgibbo1868 wrote:
KCookie wrote:

Was the BB installed with grease or Loctite? If the bike shop installed it I would check with them as it is more likely an installation issue rather than a BB issue I suspect.
Was installed with grease. THM, AITA and now C-bear have all creaked. I'm wondering if there's an underlying problem some where. Not only is it bloody annoying it's time consuming and getting expensive keep having the BBs changed and re installed.

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

KCookie wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:40 am
kgibbo1868 wrote:
KCookie wrote:

Was installed with grease. THM, AITA and now C-bear have all creaked. I'm wondering if there's an underlying problem some where. Not only is it bloody annoying it's time consuming and getting expensive keep having the BBs changed and re installed.

Loctite 609 retaining compound is the fix!
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

KCookie

by KCookie

kgibbo1868 wrote:
KCookie wrote:
kgibbo1868 wrote:
KCookie wrote:

Loctite 609 retaining compound is the fix!
Will give that a go, Cheers. Hopefully that will work or I'll just have to wear ear plugs on every ride. Image

Aeo

by Aeo

KCookie wrote:
Was the BB installed with grease or Loctite? If the bike shop installed it I would check with them as it is more likely an installation issue rather than a BB issue I suspect.Was installed with grease. THM, AITA and now C-bear have all creaked. I'm wondering if there's an underlying problem some where. Not only is it bloody annoying it's time consuming and getting expensive keep having the BBs changed and re installed.

Contact Hambini, you can measure the bottom bracket shell and he manufactures a custom bottom bracket that fits perfectly. Maybe the off-the-shelf one works, too.
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

KCookie

by KCookie

Aeo wrote:
KCookie wrote:
Was the BB installed with grease or Loctite? If the bike shop installed it I would check with them as it is more likely an installation issue rather than a BB issue I suspect.Was installed with grease. THM, AITA and now C-bear have all creaked. I'm wondering if there's an underlying problem some where. Not only is it bloody annoying it's time consuming and getting expensive keep having the BBs changed and re installed.

Contact Hambini, you can measure the bottom bracket shell and he manufactures a custom bottom bracket that fits perfectly. Maybe the off-the-shelf one works, too.
Thanks. Didn't know that. Worth a shot if all else fails.

RyanH

by RyanH

If worse comes to worst, sram pf30 bb. If that creaks then it's not the bb.

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

Movement causes the noise, a retaining compound will fill the void between the shell and BB, thus eliminating movement and noise. You have had several BB's with the same issue so I suspect your BB shell is slightly to big or has some wear.

This is a quote from a Calnago post:
"If your pressfit application is such that there is creaking (caused by movement between the surfaces) then you should really be using a retaining compound (Loctite 609, plus Primer Loctite 7649). Applying grease to a creaky fit will just mask the issue for awhile by preventing the “creak” sound as it moves, but it is actually facilitating that movement, and associated wear. The creak will return eventually. That is not what you want. You want no movement and retaining compound is appropriate in these cases."
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

KCookie

by KCookie

Many thanks for the info. Will definitely use those two. Let's hope this will be the end of it. Nothing worse than riding a creaky bike.

rlpaul

by rlpaul

Not to beat a dead horse here, but if there's an alignment issue with the shell, then creaking can happen as well. If that's the case, then the bottom brackets that are two seperate cups will pretty much always creak. This is what RyanH is alluding to - at that point the bottom bracket shell on the bike is the issue, not the bottom bracket itself. This is actually a fairly common occurence.

Hambini is an option like mentioned, and he has a lot of experience here, but there are other one-piece BBs, like the BBInfinite. A one-piece PF shell will go a long ways to keeping the bearings in alignment, and eliminate that as a cause.

rlpaul

by rlpaul

I should mention, it'll take some precise measurements to figure out if it is an alignment issue - both a shifted (one side higher/further forward than the other), or a slanted (not perfectly vertical) side can cause alignment issues.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

KCookie wrote:
kgibbo1868 wrote:
KCookie wrote:

Try increasing the bearing preload. I've had success in eliminating BB creaking by simply increasing the preload without adding additional bearing seal drag.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com