Urgestalt on a diet, now 4662g. Update 03.05.20

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Not to beat a dead horse and repeat all the good advice above, but I too find that creaks usually aren't from the BB even though it sounds like it. From most common to least common (for me) here are the places I look when there's a creak:

+ Cassette freehub (put grease between the cassette and the freehub.
+ Dropouts (put carbon paste between all contact points, all sides where hubs and skewers contact the frame).
+ Pedals (spray ceramic lube, or any penetrating lube) where the pedals contact cleats and on springs. Grease pedal threads).
+ Chaing ring bolts (grease all contact areas between bolts and chain rings, all sides).
+ Headset, stem and stem bolts.
+ Seat post and saddle (look for cracks in rails etc).
+ Only then look at BB

:beerchug: :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

Ok many thanks Gearjunkie, will work my way down the list.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

KCookie

by KCookie

ccache wrote:Next level build KCookie! Image
Many thanks, much appreciated. Be even better without the bloody creak.

KCookie

by KCookie

I greased the chainring bolts and copper pasted the skewers, went for a ride and it was completely silent for 28 minutes then yep you've guessed it, the bloody creak came back.
When I hold the crank arms and add pressure they move towards and away from the frame. So with that slight movement I'm guessing that's the problem. Having the two grub screws I thought that would eliminate the cap coming loose. The THM website says to use thread lock, so that i will and I'll see if it comes loose again.

kode54

by kode54

maybe its your knees trying to make a comeback. :D

good to see you out and about.
KCookie wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:45 pm
Thanks guys, will check all other areas mentioned. I have changed the skewers but no change. My creak has just started to happen sitting down, not very loud mind you and intermitten, but when I stand going up hills it's that loud and constant it's hard to believe it could be from anywhere else but the BB area.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

KCookie

by KCookie

kode54 wrote:maybe its your knees trying to make a comeback. :D

good to see you out and about.
KCookie wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:45 pm
Thanks guys, will check all other areas mentioned. I have changed the skewers but no change. My creak has just started to happen sitting down, not very loud mind you and intermitten, but when I stand going up hills it's that loud and constant it's hard to believe it could be from anywhere else but the BB area.

Vilsheimer

by Vilsheimer

Hi KCookie - stunning bike at an incredible weight! Great job there!
Was very tempted by that frame, too (especially as there's a massively discounted one hanging around in stock at a dealer in my town) - but decided that I gotta get away from black bikes, as I got 3 of them already. ;)
So went the opposite way and am now waiting for a Cento 10 Pro in Ramato.
Received the AX Lightness Ultras to go with it yday - do yours come with a sanded brake track? Or clear & shiny?
How are they holding up so far? How's the braking?
Mine arrived yday with clear-coat tracks and ~70g overweight - slightly disappointed...
Thanks!

KCookie

by KCookie

Thanks so much for the kind words.
My wheels have the clear & shiny brake track, to be honest didn't know there were different textures. The braking is good, I only have the Lightweights to compare with which are on par, I don't ever ride in the rain so can't comment on that, but I know they wouldn't be great. I like them that much I haven't even considered changing back to the Gipfelsturms or Obermayes.
Agree 70g is way overweight. Id be more than disappointed. It might be worth contacting Nils and let him now. Have you tried using different scales, it just seems to far out.
Make sure you post your new bike.

KCookie

by KCookie

Well at last the creaking has stopped. Went for a three hour ride today and it was so peaceful, i actually enjoyed it.
Put some thread locker on the THM center cap and hey presto. Shame it took 3 BBs, wasted time and money for a 30 second job and $15 tube of thread locker.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Good news KC........ and amen to the saga, slept better last night ?

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

KCookie

by KCookie

beanbiken wrote:Good news KC........ and amen to the saga, slept better last night ?

BB
Thanks mate.
Certainly is a weight of my mind. Can't wait to go for a ride today now.
Now I can concentrate on more mods. Once I've seen your bars an order will go ahead. Hopefully ill see them Wednesday.

KCookie

by KCookie

O well that didn't last long. Back to square one. Bloody crank has come loose again and the creaking has started. I just can't figure out why it's coming loose. Email to THM I think. See what they say.

KCookie

by KCookie

Hey Guys.
Well six months has past since my last post. Been trying to up my km since my accident but failing miserably as all I'm doing is still playing catch up and working way to many hours.
I did find the time to order some new bars though. Some Darimo UD Matte 40cm weighing in at a very respectable 136.6g with 3 pre drilled and reinforced holes, saving me about 35g.
I'm still trying to get the seat post cradles made in carbon. Jure failed badly, after a year, yes a whole year of having my spare cradles he just sent two of his stock ones.
I have now been speaking to Alexia and I'm hoping Darimo is going to make them. That should be about another 25g lost.
I have also noticed some damage to the frame from continuous chain dropping. Problem now solved so I'm thinking of getting it fixed and maybe a repaint in a different colour. I'm away in the UK for all August and September so thought it would be the best time to get fixed. I know this is WW and it's going to add weight and I've spent small fortune getting my bike under 5kg, but let's be honest I'm not really going to notice the added weight, am I. I love the paint on the cipollini. Expensive and heavy I'm assuming.Imagevery surprised how light they are.ImageHoles drilled for internal routing. ImageUnfortunate damage by chain dropping.
Sent from my SM-G960F

ImageI'm leaning towards this colour way.ImageAbsolutely love this paint work. Will get a price and weight for this.ImageStriped the coating off as it was peeling off. 1.5g saved. Yah.ImageImage

KCookie

by KCookie

Well it's been eight months since my last update so I thought I'd report in with some other upgrades.
Back in July I got myself an awesome deal on a 2018 Urgestalt frame mainly due so I could use a round post and not be stuck using the supplied really heavy post by Lightweight, plus there's some damage to my Urgestalt frame that needs attention so it will give me a bike to ride whilst being repaired and probably painted in apple candy red.
This week a Darimo post and sub 4 clamp arrived along with new TI cables, new Carbonworks cages ( mine broke) and two new Extreme tyres ( trying to get some light ones) so I'm expecting the new weight to be around 4790g.
The build won't happen for a few weeks until I can get to the LBS.
Once that is built I will try my hand with help from a mate at re-building my original frame ( never built a bike before as you guys know I'm shit at this) with all new to me but second hand parts I've collected over the last few months, which consists of all DA DI2 parts, 9070 shifters, battery, 9100 crank with 4iiii PM and Brakes, Jagwire Elite cables, bar end junction, Lightweights own stem and my Obermayes will stay on this bike for non windy days which is very rare here hence I hardly use them and the AX lightness on the other build.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com