Urgestalt on a diet, now 4662g. Update 03.05.20

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

KCookie

by KCookie

Hi Guys,
Some of you might have read on this forum that a month ago I had a serious accident, it's now been a month and with nothing to do other than think, I thought i wonder if I could get my Urgestalt under 5kg. No reason really, just something to keep me busy. It's great to be in the 5kg club but getting under 5kg would put me with the minority.
The bike is at the LBS so from old workings out I think I have anywhere between 236g-242g to loose.
I have ordered some AX lightness Ultra 25t of Nils, he has been so helpful and weighed all the wheels to get me the lightest so they are 784g.
So my my Obermayers are 935g - 784g = 151g good start there.
Changing tyres from Veloflex Carbons to Extremes should save another 23g+ estimated, they should arrive by Thursday.
Changing Berk List padded 82g to Berk 1k Carbon should save 8-10, saddle on its way.
Jure has made me two seat post clamps, mine weigh 45g hoping to loose 20-25g, they are on route to.
Valve extension can come off, obviously not needed on 25mm wheels, 3g saved.
KMC chain I think was 220g, three PYC 1101 on way, hoping to loose 5g.
Now this is where I'm starting to struggle, I know if I had the tyres glued on I could save 30g straight away and hit the 4.99kg I'm after, as the Tufo tape I use weighs 30g per wheel, but I can't do it and I really hate removing the glue to.
I'm also thinking I could change the bar tape mine is 40g, I've look at Deda Traforato, the add says 29g but I don't know if that's for each roll or both.
Extralite Lockring would save another 2g.
The rear inner brake cable is Jagwire and weighs 16g is this worth changing, don't won't to loose durability. I've look at KCNC TI and Powercordz.
Unfortunately I can't change the Urgestalt seat post, a Darimo post could have saved a good chunk of weight. Everything else is staying put.
So guys your help would be most appreciated helping hit my target of 4.99kg.
Cheers.
Last edited by KCookie on Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:55 am, edited 4 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Some easy things to look at
- bolts tuning
- expander plug and top cap
- skewers (tune skyline bolt-on skewers)
- brake pads (Corima cork pads if you use carbon wheels)
- brakes?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Learn to glue, it's easy and actually becomes pretty calming once you get used to it.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

KCookie

by KCookie

All the above done. I'll post a parts list asap.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

KCookie

by KCookie

Forgot to mention what about changing the shifter clamps to Schmolke TI or Carbon. I see the Carbon ones are for Shimano and Campag but the TI ones I can only see for SRAM.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Red cassette
Carbon ti chainrings
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

KCookie

by KCookie

spdntrxi wrote:Red cassette
Carbon ti chainrings
Got a Sram Cassette ready and Carbon TI are heavier than my Exralite rings.
Really what I mentioned is the only parts I can change. It's a challenge but will be fun trying.

KCookie

by KCookie

Nefarious86 wrote:Learn to glue, it's easy and actually becomes pretty calming once you get used to it.

Messy and time consuming, tape is so quick and easy, but these AXs might be clued, not by me though. Lol.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Stem? At 106g, you could save ~20g with Extralite, MCFK, THM or AX

RyanH

by RyanH

Red cassette is 161g and shifting is flawless with Di2 cause Di2. Tune titanium bolt ons are 21g.

Learn to glue, people make it overly complicated. I never remove old glue unless I bought a wheelset that had a different brand. My glue process in total is like an hour total for both wheels if I'm taking my time. Process for new wheels:

Forgot this pre-step:
0) scuff new rim with sandpaper and clean with alcohol.

1) thin layer of glue on front wheel, set aside for ten minutes.
2) same for rear wheel.
3) Inflate tire to about 30 psi or however much to get it to roll with base tape facing up.
4) glue around holding tire in one hand and having the opposite end rest on the sink. Set aside for 10 minutes
5) repeat for tire #2
6) repeat #1 and #2 (for first time wheels only, skip if previously glued)
7) deflate tires to about 15psi
8) firmly mount them stretching as much as possible around the valve hole to prevent a hop. I generally follow a line on the base tape and match to a point on the rim.
9) put wheels on bike upside down and check for straightness, fix as you go around. If you need to fix, it's best to try to lift it and readjust rather than just rotate. It's a bitch to just rotate.
10) inflate to 120psi and roll around on the bike with full weight to get the tire fully contacted against rim.
11) Let sit for minimum 12 hours

I don't pre-stretch good tires like Vittoria and Veloflex, there's no need. If using conti stretch those suckers for days and plan on raw fingers. I also don't glue 8,000 layers like a lot do. There's no need.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

KCookie wrote:
Nefarious86 wrote:Learn to glue, it's easy and actually becomes pretty calming once you get used to it.

Messy and time consuming, tape is so quick and easy, but these AXs might be clued, not by me though. Lol.

Honestly its not that messy once you get the swing of it. Get them glued but get the person to teach you while they do it. If you were local I'd offer to help.

Using Tapatalk

KCookie

by KCookie

AndreLM wrote:Stem? At 106g, you could save ~20g with Extralite, MCFK, THM or AX
But I love my stem, it matches and its rare. I've never seen another one.

KCookie

by KCookie

Thanks Ryan for the detailed explanation. Much appreciated. Might get the LBS to show me as this would get me to my target weight. I have read the Gluing thread, but I can tape and ride within 10 minutes.

KCookie

by KCookie

Nefarious86 wrote:
KCookie wrote:

Honestly its not that messy once you get the swing of it. Get them glued but get the person to teach you while they do it. If you were local I'd offer to help.

Sure you don't fancy a trip to Adelaide. Lol.Image

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I should be down for TDU ;)

Using Tapatalk