2016 pearl white Allez Sprint build!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

themidge

by themidge

07stuntin6r wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:03 am
. The cable was only shorted depm when I switched the brakes out. I'll see of I can pull more thru this weekend.
Eh? The cable is too short, not too long!

Edit: and by cable, I/therestofthepeoplewho'vementionedit mean the outer cable, not the inner.

AJS914

by AJS914

07stuntin6r wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:04 am
AJS914 wrote:The tube mounted sideways looks like non-aero, like it catches a lot of wind. And IME, tubes don't last exposed to the elements.
I keep my bike inside so elements wont really hurt it.
I'm talking about when you ride. Under the seat, all the muck will also hit your tube. I store tubes inside a plastic bag even inside my saddle pack. It keeps them fresh.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

moonoi wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:21 am
.lucky I had a second tube in my jersey
which is where spare tube belongs.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

All this noise about spare tubes.... I don't even cary them anymore.

Nice Sprint BTW, if you haven't put it there already... we have an entire thread for them.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

IrrelevantD wrote:All this noise about spare tubes.... I don't even cary them anymore.

Nice Sprint BTW, if you haven't put it there already... we have an entire thread for them.
I haven't yet, where is it located under?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

07stuntin6r wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:48 pm
IrrelevantD wrote:All this noise about spare tubes.... I don't even cary them anymore.

I haven't yet, where is it located under?

If the below link doesn’t work, look for “201X Allez Sprint”

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... b#p1430462
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

mattr

by mattr

07stuntin6r wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:07 pm
"We're all idiots" ...from what i've seen just seems like everyone on this forum is opinionated douche bags.
Or just far far far more experienced than you?

It does happen you know.

jih

by jih

07stuntin6r wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:09 am
When I originally said the outer looks too short this is the photo I was looking at.

You can see how the cable exits the brake at an angle because the outer is being pulled tight by being too short. This means that the inner will have to go around a very tight bend during braking and could eventually snap.

The cables should exit the brakes in a flowing line from the part with a continuous bend, not a sharp angle and then a straight line.

Good news is it just needs a new piece of outer that’s maybe 25mm longer, and possibly a new inner. Both are simple to fit and doable with just basic tools.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

jih wrote:
07stuntin6r wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:09 am
When I originally said the outer looks too short this is the photo I was looking at.

You can see how the cable exits the brake at an angle because the outer is being pulled tight by being too short. This means that the inner will have to go around a very tight bend during braking and could eventually snap.

The cables should exit the brakes in a flowing line from the part with a continuous bend, not a sharp angle and then a straight line.

Good news is it just needs a new piece of outer that’s maybe 25mm longer, and possibly a new inner. Both are simple to fit and doable with just basic tools.
If you mean the part that goes into the caliper I've taken it to the shop already about that to see if they couldve installed a different "ferrel" whatever they are called. They said I could just take the one on there off and it should fit flush. Just didn't t get to it yet.

jih

by jih

I'm talking about the outer cable. The cabling is in two parts - the inner and the outer. The inner looks like a normal wire; the outer is the hollow cable that the inner runs inside.

The outer is too short on your bike. This makes the ferrule come out at a weird angle, and makes the inner turn around a shorter radius than it is designed for. If you run it like this the inner will probably snap one day and your rear brake will instantly stop working.

If your shop tells you it is fine as it is, stop going there. Either find a new shop or work out how to replace a cable yourself. Takes about 5 minutes with practice, or an hour if you've never worked on a bike before. Only tools you need are a brake cable cutter and a hex key.

jih

by jih

Yours is much shorter than the 'too short' example:
cables.png
Read here: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cables.html

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

07stuntin6r wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:36 pm
jih wrote:

If you mean the part that goes into the caliper I've taken it to the shop already about that to see if they couldve installed a different "ferrel" whatever they are called. They said I could just take the one on there off and it should fit flush. Just didn't t get to it yet.

I see what jih was talking about. I'd definately say you need to take care of that, and if there were cable stops in the top tube, it might present a problem as others have indicated. HOWEVER, since the Sprint it's full cable housing from the levers all the way through the top tube to the brakes there should be no problem or concern here.

As the shop said, all you really need to undo the break cable, remove the metal cable housing end, and then re-attach the brake cable. From the other photo's you posted, looks like you have pleanty of housing at the other end of the top tube. Maybe just pull a slight bit more back to give it a little more loop so if something pushes on the cable (IE: your leg, you lean it against something, etc) it doesn't knock the brake caliper out of alignment. You may need to replace the ferrule at the end of the cable, but if you're handy with a pair of needle nose pliars, you might be able to un-squish it and re-use the one that's on there.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

jih wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:01 pm
I'm talking about the outer cable. The cabling is in two parts - the inner and the outer. The inner looks like a normal wire; the outer is the hollow cable that the inner runs inside.

The outer is too short on your bike. This makes the ferrule come out at a weird angle, and makes the inner turn around a shorter radius than it is designed for. If you run it like this the inner will probably snap one day and your rear brake will instantly stop working.

If your shop tells you it is fine as it is, stop going there. Either find a new shop or work out how to replace a cable yourself. Takes about 5 minutes with practice, or an hour if you've never worked on a bike before. Only tools you need are a brake cable cutter and a hex key.

---------------

cables.png

Allez Sprint is full housing for the rear brake, this isn't an issue. It's fine, pleanty of excess at the front of the top tube from the other pictures. What you're seeing is the housing end not fitting into the cup on the brake caliper. End just needs to be replaced with one that fits or removed all together.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

IrrelevantD wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:36 pm
jih wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:01 pm

---------------

cables.png

Allez Sprint is full housing for the rear brake, this isn't an issue. It's fine, pleanty of excess at the front of the top tube from the other pictures. What you're seeing is the housing end not fitting into the cup on the brake caliper. End just needs to be replaced with one that fits or removed all together.
That is what I was saying I needed to do. The cable housing has not been touched what so ever since I received the bike new from the bike shop.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

07stuntin6r wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:00 pm
That is what I was saying I needed to do. The cable housing has not been touched what so ever since I received the bike new from the bike shop.
Yea, full length housing isn’t exactly common these days on road bikes, especially race bikes. Once I figured out what they were going on about, didn’t take me long to realize that they probably aren’t familiar with the frame. Still, that angle where the end doesn’t fit into the stop on the brake caliper might lead to a frayed cable. You really should fix it, and probably should check the front as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com