2015 SuperSix EVO 5.37kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

refthimos

by refthimos

Background: I would consider myself a “lapsed” weight weenie. I had some of the cool stuff back in the 90s, like Magic Motorcycle cranks when they first came out, Dean Titanium seatposts and stems, ti stanchion tubes on my Manitou fork, etc. I even remember going J-Disc on my TT bike since the mylar cover was pretty light and yes, I did the Lance/Hampsten thing for a while with just one STI shifter for the rear derailleur and a down tube shifter for the front derailleur. Real weight weenie stuff!

I gradually moved away from WW priorities to Aero priorities. Was on an S5 for several years but made the move to a SuperSix EVO about 3 years ago. Partly for sponsor reasons, partly because I considered the front end of the S5 noodly and sometimes scary in blustery crosswinds.

I had heard rumors of a Cannondale aero bike for the last couple years and was very excited when the new SuperSix was announced. I knew this would be by new “main” road bike, and so the question became what to do with the SuperSix. First thought was to sell it and get another disc road bike as a backup/”winter” bike, but I really love the SuperSix and so I decided to return to my WW ways and have a fun project with it. So here goes.

Requirements/constraints: I wanted the bike to be light, but not “stupid light.” I tend to be relatively light on equipment, but I still race between 72.5-75kg (160-165lbs) – so not a flyweight – and put in decent miles and no-so-decent road. I also had the following specific requirements, so this too limited how low I could go:
  • Di2: The SuperSix already has 9070 Di2. I just can’t see ever going back to mechanical shifting, so the Di2 will stay
  • Speedplay pedals: My fitter has me on +12mm spindles – I know, heavier and more importantly not as aero as I could be, but fit is first and foremost – so these will stay
  • Crank-based power meter: Pedal-based PM not an option (see above), and apologies to anyone I offend, but I consider single-sided PMs like Stages to be “power estimators” rather than “power meters” and I want to run a light rear hub and be able to swap wheels easily
    Q-Rings: Yes I know there is science that says they are rubbish but they feel good to me
  • Other: Aero, rolling resistance and drivetrain resistance are still important to me so there are some decisions I made with these considerations in mind that compromised weight savings
So with that, it was time to create the build sheet. I knew I was not to make changes incrementally rather than tear everything down to the bare frameset – after all this is my only road bike as I patiently await delivery of the SuperSix, so my methodology to estimate final weight was to weigh the bike as it began – that came out to 6.93kg (15.28lbs), as shown here:

I would then weigh each current component and its replacement, calculate the difference for each, then apply the aggregate difference to the starting weight. This initially gave me a projected weight of 5469g (12.06lbs), but after correcting for some incorrect assumptions (some noted below), the current projected weight is 5507g (12.14lbs). Here is the current build sheet, I’ll explain the assumptions and most likely disappointments below.

For the weights listed, if the number is:
  • in italics, then it is just an assumption based on research. It doesn’t really matter if the number is correct or not, because these components are not being changed. Since I am calculating the difference in weight on a component-by-component basis, the italics items do not affect that calculation in any way.
  • in GREEN, then it has been weighed on my gram scale and the weight is confirmed. These items should not introduce any error into the calculation.
  • In RED, then it is an assumption based on research and has not yet been confirmed. Because this component will be changed, any error in the assumption will result in an error in the calculation. The idea is that by the end of the build, there will be no red numbers, other than sealant/glue – I have no idea how much sealant is in my tires, though I typically go with about 30ml in each, and I am not going to try and weigh tubular glue. Other than that, I’m going to verify and document as much as possible here.
Last edited by refthimos on Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 7 times in total.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

refthimos

by refthimos

** PHASE I: From 6.93kg to 6.47kg **

I got most of the parts I needed in, the big exception being the wheels (we’ll get to that later). But my Schmolke bars, while purportedly built Di2-compatible, arrived with holes too small for the E-Tube wiring. So that means I must hold off on the front end changes – so no change to the bars, stem, tape, brake cable or sprint shifters.
So for Phase I, the components that changed were:
  • Stock HS bearings to FSA SL
  • Stock Cannondale BB to Hawk Racing stainless steel
  • Rotor 2Inpower MAS Aero (175mm) to SISL2 P2Max NG (175mm)
  • 52T Rotor aluminum Q-Ring to 50T Qarbon
  • 36T Rotor aluminum Q-Ring to 34T aluminum Q-Ring
  • Rotor chainring bolts to KCNC SL
  • Dura-Ace 9070 brake calipers to Cane Creek ee
  • Arundel Mandible cages to Carbon Works
  • Zipp SL Speed seatpost (27.2x400mm) to Darimo T2 SB (27.2x280mm)
  • Stock seatpost binder to Tune Schraubwurger
  • Zipp stainless steel aero skewers to Tune DC100/130
  • Stock 9070 RD cage to Ceramic Speed OSPW
  • Bontrager cork pads to SwissStop Black Prince
Photos and comments on each change below. And yes I know the last two were weight increases, rather than deductions, but I had my reasons for those. The weight increase on the BB came as a surprise to me (I incorrectly estimated starting weight there), but no regrets.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

refthimos

by refthimos

** HEADSET BEARINGS **

Swapped the stock Cannondale headset bearings (20.7+27.9=48.6g) for FSA SL bearings (14.1+16.9=31g) for a savings of 17.6g.

Last edited by refthimos on Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

refthimos

by refthimos

** BOTTOM BRACKET **

Here I made a miscalculation that I didn’t really regret. I thought I had a Rotor PF30 BB on the bike, and research showed that would weigh approximately 106g. I decided to swap to a Hawk Racing stainless steel BB (85.5g) for an expected savings of 20.5g. This was the first of several areas where I deviated from pure WWism and took into account other factors, in this case drivetrain resistance/durability. The Hawk Racing BB has tested well by Friction Facts, is by all accounts well made and durable, and so I went with it. When swapping the BB, I found that I still had the stock FSA BB in there, and it weighed only 79.7g. So I ended up gaining 5.8g there. But for the reasons mentioned above, no regrets. I am sure it is all confirmation bias/placebo effect, but the BB/crank feels great after the swap.

EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

refthimos

by refthimos

** CRANKSET / POWER METER **

Swapped the Rotor 2Inpower MAS Aero crankset/PM (679.3g) for SISL2 crankset with Power2Max NG spider (130.9+132.1+77.9+155.3=496.2g) for a savings of 183.1g.

I could go on and on about the virtues of the Rotor 2Inpower. It’s my all-time favorite PM, and I have had my share – I was in the PowerTap pilot program way back in the day, and along the way have had multiple SRMs, Quarqs, Pioneers, PowerTaps and other P2Max PMs. And the 2Inpower is my favorite of them all. But when compared to a SISL2/P2Max combo, you just can’t ignore the weight savings. So much so that I think I am going to move away from my beloved 2Inpower on the SuperSix when it arrives – I just can’t bear to add 183.1g to that bike! The thing I may miss the most is the soft pulsing glow when charging the 2INpower with its snap-on magnetic charge cord:

[Vimeo]https://vimeo.com/259056614/17899fc13c[/Vimeo]
Last edited by refthimos on Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

refthimos

by refthimos

** CHAINRINGS **

Swapped the 52T aluminum Q-Ring (140.9g) for a 50T Qarbon Q-Ring (125.4g) for a savings of 15.5g. Swapped the 36T Q-Ring (41.3g) for 34T Q-Ring (31.8g) for a savings of 9.5g. Since this is meant to be a climbing bike, I made the change from 52/36 to 50/34. One thing we found when mounting the Qarbon ring is that it didn’t clear the SISL2 crankarm – so we had to cut it along the mounting points, similar to this stock offering from Rotor:

We cut out less than the area shown in the image above but no, I didn’t get the scraps so was unable to weigh them. Probably 1g or so. But who knows. Also, if you want to compare new rings rather than the used rings I took off the bike, the difference would be 6.0g for the big ring and 0.6g for the little ring. Not sure if mine started out different weights or if that is chainring wear.

Used 52/36 Q-Rings:

New 52/36 Q-Rings:

New 50T Qarbon/34T Q-Ring:
Last edited by refthimos on Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

refthimos

by refthimos

** CHAINRING BOLTS **

Swapped the Rotor chainring bolts (10.0g) for KCNC SL (7.5g) for a savings of 2.5g.

EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

refthimos

by refthimos

** BRAKE CALIPERS **

Swapped the Dura-Ace 9070 brake calipers (133.8+138.7=272.5g) for Cane Creek ee (172.5g) for a savings of 100g. This was another area where I consciously dialed back (a little) the WWism. Sure I could have gone for AX Lightness 3000s or Tibias but I wanted legitimate braking (so decided no AX Lightness) and didn’t want to pay over $1,000 for brake calipers (so no Tibias). The ee brakes seemed like the right choice. I only have two rides on them, but so far so good! I also over-estimated the weight of the 9070 brakes in my initial calculations, which accounted for some of the difference between my initial projection of 5469g (12.06lbs) and the current projection of 5507g (12.14lbs).

EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

refthimos

by refthimos

** BOTTLE CAGES **

Swapped the Arundel Mandible bottle cages (24.1g+24.9g=49.0g) for Carbon Works (6.8g+7.0g=13.8g) for a savings of 35.2g. This was a good example of an area where the WW replacement had to actually work and not just be light. I do a good amount of group rides and I can’t be ejecting bottles. Sure this bike will get used sparingly once the SystemSix arrives but still, I’m not trying to play Spy Hunter, dropping bottles into the wheels of riders behind me. Researched the Carbon Works cages and took the plunge. I find that inserting/removing the bottle is not as smooth as it is with the Mandible cages, but it’s becoming NBD and there is no denying that the Carbon Works cages work, at least so far for me.

EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

refthimos

by refthimos

** SEATPOST **

Swapped the Zipp SL Speed seatpost (27.2x400mm, 20mm offset) (191.5g) for Darimo T2 SB (27.2x280mm, 25mm offset (92.6g) for a savings of 98.9g. 51.7% savings! If I could do this with all components, the final bike would weigh 3.35kg (7.39lbs)!

My fit requires a setback seatpost, and IMHO every other WW setback seapost that I came across looks less than elegant. Enter the Darimo. This thing is a beauty! I really love the design. My scale measured it exactly at its labeled weight of 92.6g. So we know the tag, string and faux saddle rails add up to 3.4g. Thankfully we get to ditch that weight!

Last edited by refthimos on Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

refthimos

by refthimos

** SEATPOST BINDER **

Swapped the stock Cannondale seatpost binder (17.0g) for a Tune Schraubwurger (10.0g) for a savings of 7.0g. I may have gone a little conservative here, but I wanted something that would work well, was dependable and would not cause my any issues with my precious Darimo seatpost. Could this be a future upgrade? Perhaps, but not too many more grams to be saved here.

EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

refthimos

by refthimos

** SKEWERS **

Swapped the Zipp stainless steel aero skewers (37.0+40.8=77.8g) for Tune DC100/130 (37.2g) for a savings of 40.6g. Another area where I could have gone lighter, but I don’t want to trust my life to U20 skewers when descending at 50mph. There is a good chance I run a pair of View Speed S3 skewers instead anyways. I took the front S3 off my TT bike and it came in at 20.5g, so I’m guessing the total weight for the pair would be 45g. That ~8g increase would likely be offset by aero gains, though both so small as to be practically immeasurable. Nothing against the DC100/130, as they are working great with no squeaking. The View Speeds are super solid, however, and very sleek on the bike with no lever poking out. I’m in no rush at the moment to swap to the S3s but probably will at some point.

EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

refthimos

by refthimos

** REAR DERAILLEUR CAGE **

Swapped the stock Dura-Ace 9070 cage (41.7g) for a Ceramic Speed OSPW (66.0g) for an increase of 24.3g. As mentioned above, this is not intended to be an exercise to hit the lowest weight possible. The bike’s purpose is all about going uphill as fast as possible. I believe that the weight penalty here (and to be fair, we should add a few grams to account for the increased chain length) is more than offset by drivetrain friction reduction. Plus it looks cool!

And here is a stock 9070 rear derailleur with stock cage:
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

refthimos

by refthimos

** BRAKE PADS **

Swapped the Bontrager cork pads (15.5g) for SwissStop Black Prince (29.2g) for an increase of 13.7g. To be honest, I have never had a problem with the Bontrager cork pads on my Aeolus wheels (and 9070 brakes). But I know that they are often criticized, and with the move to the ee brakes and eventually, my non-Aeolus tubular wheels (more on those later), I thought I would give the Black Prince a try. Whether it’s the ee brakes or the Black Prince pads, or overall setup, I am getting squeal that I didn’t get with my 9070/Bontrager cork combo. So I’ll look to adjust setup to see if that can be fixed, and may well go back to the Bontrager cork pads. We’ll see. I’ll make the final call based on braking performance – the weight difference is not much either way.

EDITED on September 5, 2018: Brakes were noisy after the swap. Not sure if it was the change in pads, the ee brakes, setup, or something else. In any case, I didn't notice any significant change in braking performance over the Bontrager cork pads and since I am still riding the bike with Aeolus 5 wheels, I am going to switch back to the Bontrager pads. Will note this in a post below and this will save me a few grams.

My brake pads were pretty worn, it’s perhaps worth noting that a new pair of Bontrager cork brake pads comes in at 8.1g, or 16.2g for the set of four.
Last edited by refthimos on Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

refthimos

by refthimos

** PHASE I RESULTS **

From the spreadsheet, we can see that the changes above should have resulted in a total reduction of 466.1g. With a starting weight of 6.93kg, that means we should expect a weight of 6464kg after Phase I. I weighed the bike at 6.47kg, so we’re right there, within the scale’s margin of error I’m sure and let’s not forget that all those new parts required grease!

Last edited by refthimos on Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast