Ryan's Forever Bike: A Litespeed T1sl #tongue-in-cheek

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Is that a temporary QR? Those Campy QRs are heavy. I had a failed experiment with the Extralite Aliens 4. Right now I'm using Mavic QRs with Ti shafts. They are fabulous.

RyanH

by RyanH

Yeah, temporary. My go to noise free light skewer is control tech ti bolt on (44g). The shaft is slightly larger in diameter than most 40g skewers so it's more resistant to expanding and contracting due to heat, which ends up causing creaking later in the morning.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Wow, what a gem! I think you really outdid yourself on this build but is that a bike bell that's flipped upside down? That has to be titanium too right? Wonder a titanium bell sounds like? :mrgreen:
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Nixster wrote:
They measure 40cm c to c at hoods and drops (no flare). I believe they were 190g actual. They're solid performers and the drop looks similar to the Pro Vibe bars I was previously using, but 35g lighter. The tops are flattened a bit which makes them nice to rest your hands on.

I've never really messed with light bars since my 172g Zipps. I nearly sold a bike because of those. I thought the poor downhill handling was the bike not the bars. I've contemplated getting Schmolke Evo but always hesitated since they were always 155g or so and that wasn't worth $500. I'm still not a huge fan of the Ergonova like side profile, I prefer a rounder bend like the spesh and pro vibe.
Thanks Ryan.
Frame looks great and under a kg too - outstanding!
:beerchug:
I'd love a set of the S-Works Classic bend bars in 40cm.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

RyanH wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:21 pm
Yeah, temporary. My go to noise free light skewer is control tech ti bolt on (44g). The shaft is slightly larger in diameter than most 40g skewers so it's more resistant to expanding and contracting due to heat, which ends up causing creaking later in the morning.
Didn't you get on with the ti Skyliner bolt ons? I'm sure you were using them at some point. I'm looking at some lighter skewers just to help get the 2nd bike under 6.8kg.

JerryLook

by JerryLook

RyanH wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:21 pm
I noticed Control Tech sells two different bolt on skewers now, one is advertised as a “race” version and are 26 grams for the pair. I think the race version has scandium ends on it.
The others are shown as either 46 or 47 grams per pair. I assume those are the ones you have? Or do you have an older version?
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

RyanH

by RyanH

It's a stainless steel spurcycle bell.

The Tune Skyline titanium bolt ons work fairly well, much better than the J&L skewers. The threading is much finer so they don't seize like the J&L did for me. However, I would get creaking from them from time to time on the Ti bikes. On carbon dropouts a little carbon paste will prevent any noise.

Regarding the control techs, I believe the race version has mixed reviews, I have the regular. Actual weight was 44g.

kode54

by kode54

I miss a few days on WW and RyanH gets a new frame and finishes his build. looks great! so much for the breakaway.

Is this a 52cm Small frame? weight is excellent! and that was fast build!
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

indeed a fast build... I felt my build time was 5x ....lots of waiting for parts
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

RyanH

by RyanH

Bill, yeah, 52cm frame.

Fairwheel Bikes, Universal Cycles and Western Bike Works are all super on top of getting stuff out quickly, so once the frame was ordered it wasn't too difficult to get everything in hand prior to the frame. After almost two dozen builds, I don't have to spend much time researching parts anymore, just go off mental inventory of favorite items. My ability to count on the other hand (and order everything I need) could use some improvement. I measured my frame for Di2 wires and managed to somehow forget one of the wires and I didn't click add to cart on the charger. Fortunately, a friend came through on the latter and Amazon same day delivery brought my Di2 wire...at 9pm. It was the 1400mm one too and I couldn't setup shifting and wire the rest of the frame until that arrived. Delivery dude was also taking his sweet ass time. You're able to watch their progress on the Amazon phone app and he took like 3 hours to deliver 5 packages.

I've gotten my weekend rides in under the belt on the new frame and I'm super happy with my decision. It's pretty similar to the T3 but I feel like it's a touch calmer descending. I don't think I notice a stiffness difference (it's supposedly stiffer than the T3) and comfort is very good. The component selection is probably my favorite mix so far: 9100 brakes feel amazing (with the Boras); Di2's button placement is superior (drops, hoods, climbing on hoods, faux aero, whatever, you don't need to move your hand to shift); the Fizik tacky tape is nice and grippy regardless of how sweaty I am; it's nice being able to shove a bottle into the Mandibles without concern or looking down; the Bora 35s with Veloflex just glide over the pavement (it's pronounced coming off the Bora 50 disc with Corsas); and, it's been super fun being back on 53/39 and being able to attack downhills. Oh, and best of all, not a single f&^%ing noise or rub.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

RyanH wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:04 pm
. Oh, and best of all, not a single f&^%ing noise or rub.
too funny.... I went disc. Got a few tings and sounds but nothing lasting more then 1-2 seconds. Coming down Diablo was a good test for this I hope. Hard 10mph(for cars) corners and then sprinting out. I'll find out the pain of multiple wheelsets soon enough.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

kode54

by kode54

Ryan, that sounds great. Yeah, after multiple builds in a few months...it becomes second nature...especially with whom to order because certain places ship with precision and others like you said, tend to sit on it for awhile. i have to check out the Fizik tacky tape. I've been using the Bontrager Supertack tape which feels similar to the Shimano hood material...and since I ride without gloves these days, I want something that stands up to sweaty days on the saddle. Its been really humid out east...unlike CA dry-ish conditions.

I tend to order from the sister company of Western bike, Biketiresdirect, since they have a loyalty program that gives you points for purchases. In your case, you can build up tons of points fairly quick. Haven't ridden the Malibu Canyon in years, but when I did...there were some choppy sections, especially in certain key areas that'll rattle your teeth...including areas of Mulholland where it hasnt been paved in a decade. The build looks great and if I ever get rid of my Guru, I'd be all over the T1SL. Nice job!
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Nixster

by Nixster

Any chance of a full build list?
:D

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Hello Ryan. How is the Lightning PF30 bottom bracket working so far? Since it is metal on metal do you notice any creaking or ticking sounds? That SRM crank arm looks like a THM crank. Do you think a Clavicula SE crank would work on your build using the Lightning BB?
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

...and if so, is weight better than THM's "portly" PF30 BB?