Trek madone slr 6 disc

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Stitchking

by Stitchking

Final weight + bar weight. Tape was horrible and really thick so definitely weight savings to come. Just needed to get it rideable. Will post pics of complete bike when i can get some decent light. Its 1030pm now and im calling it.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

A couple of comments:

1. Looks like Trek kept the same headtube system from the Madone 9, which would support the claim that the SLR bar/stem is backwards compatible with the older Madone 9 frames. That's good to know, especially if you're having problems with the fit of the prior generation bar/stem combo. I might look into it when I rebuild my bike for Di2.

2. What size is your frame? It looks like a 54, but I wanted to be sure. Even with the brake still attached, the weight isn't that bad. I am still concerned that the IsoSpeed adds weight for a marginal improvement in comfort. Even on the less-than-ideal roads around Houston, I've never really felt a desire to change the comfort level of my bike. I kinda wish Trek would have left this feature alone, from the prior generation, and just concentrated on the bar/stem and disc brakes, and dropping weight from the frame (maybe make the disc brake verion the same weight as the Madone 9 rim brake version).

hannawald

by hannawald

It is obvious that weight is dead, aero is the king! I mean this is Trek's best frameset using their finest OCLV 700 carbon. It is hard to judge the frame itself, you can guess how much weight goes to aero, stiffness..but using heavy axles (plug in would save 50g), bar stem combo with 500g and 250g seatpost, it really seems they don't care about few hundred grams..

Stitchking

by Stitchking

FIJIGabe wrote:A couple of comments:

1. Looks like Trek kept the same headtube system from the Madone 9, which would support the claim that the SLR bar/stem is backwards compatible with the older Madone 9 frames. That's good to know, especially if you're having problems with the fit of the prior generation bar/stem combo. I might look into it when I rebuild my bike for Di2.

2. What size is your frame? It looks like a 54, but I wanted to be sure. Even with the brake still attached, the weight isn't that bad. I am still concerned that the IsoSpeed adds weight for a marginal improvement in comfort. Even on the less-than-ideal roads around Houston, I've never really felt a desire to change the comfort level of my bike. I kinda wish Trek would have left this feature alone, from the prior generation, and just concentrated on the bar/stem and disc brakes, and dropping weight from the frame (maybe make the disc brake verion the same weight as the Madone 9 rim brake version).
I ride a 56cm frame, so a 54 should be marginally lighter.

Fwiw, the isospeed update stems from issues with smaller frame sizes being roo stiff, and xl frames being too flexy. By having the flex in the seat tube, it effectively changed the length of the carbon "spring" depending on frame size.

This meant a 52 was far stiffer than a 58, which is the opposite of what is desired from a frameset, especially when you take into account the assumed rider weights of those frames.

Relocating to the toptube makes flex consistent across the whole size range

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Interesting - I'd never heard of that issue, and I ride a 60 H2, and never experienced that. I'm definitely enjoying the build, though. Keep us posted!

Stitchking

by Stitchking

@fijigabe you probably just have a really cushy ride. Not too much to complain about there! I think the issue was in the smaller frame sizes

spartan

by spartan

liking this thread. might pick a slr for my next build. can not decide between a 54 vs 56.

stichking what is your saddle height measured from center of bb to top of saddle? your height?
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

Stitchking

by Stitchking

spartan wrote:liking this thread. might pick a slr for my next build. can not decide between a 54 vs 56.

stichking what is your saddle height measured from center of bb to top of saddle? your height?
My centre bb to top of saddle is 785mm. I'm 6 ft tall pretty much bang on.

Stock the slr seatpost will only get you 765mm on a 56 hence why im running the longer post.

Stitchking

by Stitchking

First ride last night sucked. Seat post qwas slipping, and i couldn't get it tightened enough to stop. Got about 500m down the road before i turned around.

The bolts on the seatpost fastener were bottoming out before they drove the wedge to the specified torque. Fixed by removing and replacing with same length and no washer. Extra 1mm seems to have done the trick.

Rode down the road and got a nice baaw.

Comfy and lively are the first impressions. Also feels light (to me) as my current bike (s3) has a 2kg wheelset on it. Image

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

fantastic bike! what's that paint scheme, seems like 2-colour option?

I've ridden a Madone 9 H2 for a day past week (I'm going to order an SLR as soon as I figure out what I really want in terms of drivetrain, wheels etc... paint... ) and it kinda suprised me with a really nice rear end (so smooth and fast) but the front end, with their integrated bar-stem combo, not so much. it felt harsh, but not very stiff (if it makes any sense, it was a 110mm/420mm), but I gather the SLR is completely redesigned in that department, so I'm hoping for a more balanced feel.

as for weight - thanks for sharing! I couldn't get any decent info even from the lbs who's sold like few of them. that 1.4kg for frame looks really nice. given the discs' and Shim's weight, I wonder if there's a chance to build it around a 7kg mark for a 56 size (I'm going with rim brakes anyway, and if Santa finds out I was good this year, perhaps SR 12spd and another shot at Boras - this time 35mm) - with
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

FIJIGabe wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:40 pm
A couple of comments:

According to Trek Benelux customer service the new bar and stem are compatible with the 'old' Madone.
They will be offered soon by Trek dealers.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

bruno2000 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:57 pm
FIJIGabe wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:40 pm
A couple of comments:

According to Trek Benelux customer service the new bar and stem are compatible with the 'old' Madone.
They will be offered soon by Trek dealers.
Yeah, we had talked about this, before. Now that I see how the headtube is designed, I'm sure it'll just be the logistics of matching it to the old frame, if anyone is going to upgrade.

Speaking of switching parts, what is the reach/drop on the stock bar?

spartan

by spartan

SKU: W561897
UPC: 601479943814
Width : 400mm
Stem Length : Not applicable
Rise : Not applicable
Drop : 124mm
Bend : VR-CF
Reach : 90mm
Color : Dnister Black
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

Stitchking

by Stitchking

spartan wrote:SKU: W561897
UPC: 601479943814
Width : 400mm
Stem Length : Not applicable
Rise : Not applicable
Drop : 124mm
Bend : VR-CF
Reach : 90mm
Color : Dnister Black
See attached pic for 42cm barImage

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Still a long reach.
I'm used to ride handlebars of Easton with 75mm reach with a 120mm stem
Would you advice a 100m stem in this case?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com