New (re) Build: S-Works Epic HT (7.00kg Goal)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Nice. You making me want to put my single speed on a diet.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Klaster1 wrote:
weeracerweenie wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:38 am
Glam shot of the Titanium Planet M9000 Parts.
Hey, I see that you got cage pivot axle among the other parts, what's the weight and how much original weights? Same goes for other RD-M9000 bits, if you changed any.
New Ti Clutch Bolt was 5gm, old was 10gm. I’ll update this further in my derailleur tune post. Just waiting on Derailleur Jockey Wheels to show up. Not sure how far tuning and drilling wise I’ll take this build yet.
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

bm0p700f wrote:Nice. You making me want to put my single speed on a diet.
Definitely should, judging by some of your other builds you have exquisite taste!

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

weeracerweenie wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:53 am
New Ti Clutch Bolt was 5gm, old was 10gm.
Ooh, that's a nice find, I should get one too. BTW, I'm not promising anything, but there's a chance a Ti cage tension spring might hit the market. Can you weight it when opportunity arises?

About pulleys: did you get aluminium bolts? Stock tapered bolts have limited compatibility with Carbonice pulleys and probably others. I plan to fetch my set of bolts from post office this weekend, gonna post details in my thread.
Last edited by Klaster_1 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Klaster1 wrote:
weeracerweenie wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:53 am
New Ti Clutch Bolt was 5gm, old was 10gm.
Ooh, that's a nice find, I should get one too. BTW, I'm not promising anything, but there's a chance a Ti cage tension spring might hit the market. Can you weight it when opportunity arises?
I have a spare one, and I’ll definitely be keen on that spring. I had seen rumours about that. Give me a minute and I’ll get the exact weights of them now

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

5.2gm vs 9.7gm.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Some more wee bits showed up today:

Power Cords Shift cable. I’ve had mixed success with these. Going to give them another shot.

Hopp Fox 32 SC tuning parts. Jesus these are pretty.

Carbonice 11T pulley wheels. Very pretty, will see how they wear. I’ll do a complete tune on the rear derailleur in detail when all the Titanium bolts show up. Still waiting for Toronto Cycles to reopen Image

Also on a side note, I got my old Stumpjumper HT Sworks Frame repainted and some custom stickers made for my sister. Her nickname is “Spotty”, hence all the spots. Think it looks good, still going to get the clear coat and completely build done this week.

The forks are from a recent Scott Spark, and the colour was custom made.

KCookie

by KCookie

Those jockey wheels are light. I took delivery yesterday of a pair of Extralite jockey wheels at 9.9g.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

weeracerweenie wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:44 am
Cassette (XTR 11-40) + Extralite Lockring (3gm saving)

If your wheels take an XD freehub (most MTB hubs do) you can use a 10-42 XX1 cassette @ 265g, and you'll get more range too. Great used deals too currently.

XD freehubs are lighter than standard too usually :D

Edit: Saw that you have a reason to use the Shimano cassette. But still...

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Marin wrote:
weeracerweenie wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:44 am
Cassette (XTR 11-40) + Extralite Lockring (3gm saving)

If your wheels take an XD freehub (most MTB hubs do) you can use a 10-42 XX1 cassette @ 265g, and you'll get more range too. Great used deals too currently.

XD freehubs are lighter than standard too usually :D

Interesting. I primarily kept the shimano freehub to be able to single Speed it. But to be able to drop 60-70gm and extend the range a little would be great. And the freehub is an easy swap so I can always do that. Thanks mate!

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

KCookie wrote:Those jockey wheels are light. I took delivery yesterday of a pair of Extralite jockey wheels at 9.9g.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
They are indeed. I’m unsure how durable they will be. But the bike is meticulously maintain so I’m not panicking about it.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

More bits fitted today. Converted both wheels to ceramic bearings, saved maybe 2 grams but this wasn’t really about that. Feel smooth, and the old ones were RUINED anyway.

Old jockeys

New Carbonice Jockey wheels

Stock Fox 32 Step cast dials

Hopp Carbon 32 SC dials Image

Stock Alloy bottle cage bolts, these also fit into the frame for the optional SWAT bottle cage box, and for the front derailleur mounting plate which I’ll never use. So I swapped the bolts for these...

TIDDS. They cost like £2 so why not.

Temporary Shimano Siltec Shift cable.

New PowerCordz Shift cable, the initial set up on these is a massive bitch to get right. I spent an hour and a half doing it, not including all the time spent doing the work to route the cables first time. Mixed opinions about the PowerCordz. Sometimes they are great and sometimes they are a headache. I’ll make my mind up after a couple rides.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

@weeracerweenie did you change pulley bolts? RD-R9100 bolts are incompatible with Carbonice pulleys and I think RD-M9000 uses the same.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Klaster_1 wrote:@weeracerweenie did you change pulley bolts? RD-R9100 bolts are incompatible with Carbonice pulleys and I think RD-M9000 uses the same.
Yup I did change the bolts. The reduced shank size on the stock bolts did cross my mind and worried me a little. I had some spares lying around I used instead

DOUG

by DOUG

Any updates on this one @weeracerweenie? Your SS was really nice so looking forward to seeing the finsihed product on a bike with gears and whatnot.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com