New (re) Build: S-Works Epic HT (7.00kg Goal)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

DOUG wrote:Any updates on this one @weeracerweenie? Your SS was really nice so looking forward to seeing the finsihed product on a bike with gears and whatnot.
Crikey, didn’t see this reply. The bikes been up and running for months now and has had some serious abuse. Update below
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Update:

What’s been changed,

- Pedals, the TI upgraded XTR were rubbish. Last fine for about 500km then both started their journey to seizing. Replaced them with 9100 XTR race pedals and they are fantastic.

- Brought a Thomson Masterpiece Setback post. Yet to weigh the two separately (Elite vs MP). Waiting on an S-Works Power saddle to appear before I do the swap.

- Metallic Pads, to attempt to get more bite out of the brakes but I feel like the rotors are holding me back here. Currently trying to decide on a new rotor since XTR isn’t available as a 6 bolt.

- K Edge Mount. God it’s good.

What’s next:

- XD driver hub and XX cassette. Should net a solid weight saving with no performance drawback.

- Rotors, looking for ideas here. Need light but has to bite.

- Wheels, potentially. The current wheels are still flawless. But I do want to drop a tickle more weight and go to a real boost hub (as opposed to the converted non boost currently).

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Damn that’s pretty!!

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Forgot to mention. Also ditched the PowerCordz. They are terrible, I’m sure on the right bike, they work fine but on this thing they weren’t even close. Moved back to a siltec shimano inner.

DOUG

by DOUG

weeracerweenie wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:13 am
DOUG wrote:Any updates on this one @weeracerweenie? Your SS was really nice so looking forward to seeing the finsihed product on a bike with gears and whatnot.
Crikey, didn’t see this reply. The bikes been up and running for months now and has had some serious abuse. Update below
:lol: all good, figured you'd either mothballed it or built something else. Nice to see its out there getting raced.

Very nice job, love the paint on those Epic frames. What did the overall weight end up coming in at?

Also Ive recently begun using Extralite grips and thought I had used enough contact glue to hold them on securely but one of them has come loose. I do really like them but a grip coming loose in the middle of a race is not somethign I want to worry about! Considering just going back to ESI's, any tips for getting the Extralites to stay put?

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

DOUG wrote:
weeracerweenie wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:13 am
:lol: all good, figured you'd either mothballed it or built something else. Nice to see its out there getting raced.

Very nice job, love the paint on those Epic frames. What did the overall weight end up coming in at?

Also Ive recently begun using Extralite grips and thought I had used enough contact glue to hold them on securely but one of them has come loose. Considering just going back to ESI's. ANy tips for getting them to stay put?
It’s 7.2/7.3 with no cage on it. I can only really take weight off in areas I’m to afraid to do, I have a habit of breaking bits so I’ll keep it there for a while

I use spray glue (Ados). Haven’t moved a millimeter

DOUG

by DOUG

Man thats light, makes me want to go back to a hardtail! Nice one.

Will give the spray glue a go. I just used PVA glue on my first attempt and wasnt super confident they were going to hold up (turns out my instincts were right).

On the rotors, Ive found the best compromise for peformance/weight is still the SRAM Centrelines. I tried a set of KCNC's on my road bike and they were horrible. Unfortunately its one of those thigns that you can really only test to find out for your self if the performance is acceptable. Especially on a MTB where braking feel and power is such an integral part of the overall performance of the bike.

scant

by scant

weeracerweenie wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:23 am

Hope X2 Lightweight. they still have a decent surface area so they work perfectly.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

scant wrote:
weeracerweenie wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:23 am

Hope X2 Lightweight. they still have a decent surface area so they work perfectly.
Yeah these and some Magura ones are high up the list. Will keep ya updated