New (re) Build: S-Works Epic HT (7.00kg Goal)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Looking good.

I have the exact same stem and had no trouble getting the logos off.... maybe check that's acetone in the bottle :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Gearjunkie wrote:Looking good.

I have the exact same stem and had no trouble getting the logos off.... maybe check that's acetone in the bottle :thumbup:
Red logos or Blue logos? Might try another bottle. Cheers
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

I've "cleaned" several with red logos. Don't think I've had blue.

siim

by siim

Here's a video of myself removing the logos from a Kalloy Uno stem: https://www.instagram.com/p/BgPJbpDgGoT/

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

God knows what was in the bottle I used, but acetone ripped it straight off.

Thanks guys!

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Tuned a set of old M9000 XTR pedals for this. The pedals were completely worn out so no worries rebuilding them to avoid replacing them. The loose ball bearings are easy to find, I got some ceramic balls that cost me about $30. Some Titanium axles and eventually I’ll replace the 3 bolts on each side of the cage with some new ones. You may see in a photo or two, one of the pedals has a cage bolt replaced with a spare cleat bolt, after I lost one at Single Speed world champs last year.

New Axle

Old Axle

The replacement loose ball bearings if anyone wanted the info. They are 3/32 and you need something like 26 per side.

Pedals were 308gm stock? Close to that anyway, the new weight is a healthy wee saving of nearly 40gm. It’ll go a little more with the new cage bolts. The big difference is the ceramic balls, they feel obviously smoother. Adjusting them is a bit of an art though?

Yeah you could go to Ti Eggbeaters, but for now these will do. Can’t beat shimano reliability.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Cassette (XTR 11-40) + Extralite Lockring (3gm saving)

Siltec M9000 / Dura Ace Chain. Uncut in packing. I’d expect it to be more like 230 once cut.

M9000 factory shift cable. Currently fitted while I wait for some new PowerCordz to show up. It’s been a few years since I’ve run PowerCordz so I’ll have to make sure they work flawlessly, or I’ll remove them.

Starting to look at the idea of lighter hydraulic casing as well? Anyone have recommendations? Otherwise waiting for more trick light bits to show up. More to come

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

weeracerweenie wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:44 am
Starting to look at the idea of lighter hydraulic casing as well? Anyone have recommendations? Otherwise waiting for more trick light bits to show up. More to come
You seem to use Sram/Avid brakes, so how about a BFO hose?

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Klaster1 wrote:
weeracerweenie wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:44 am
You seem to use Sram/Avid brakes, so how about a BFO hose?
XTR brakes this time, I’ve had a wee look at the BFO hose, but not sure about compatibility

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Here’s the fork weight, this includes the cable guide, axle, star nut and base bearing seal.

Here’s the front axle weight

I had to replace the star nut anyway, so here is the one I put in, supplied with the frameset from Specialized.

I have the whole set of Hopp parts for the Step Cast 32 fork coming. Hopefully they show up soon and I can save a little more weight. The forks weren’t as light as I’d hoped, but I’m hoping as a complete fork I can get it below 1300gm with the Hopp components and a new Axle.

I also ran into a couple small issues fitting the cranks. Raceface produce a BB to fit the frame directly but it’s a little more beefy than I’d like. I took the opportunity to get some spacers made to suit the Reset Racing BB, and also some custom other parts I’ll go into further later on.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Any reason why you chose the XTR cassette when something like the XG1199 would save ~60g and have more range?

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

tonytourist wrote:Any reason why you chose the XTR cassette when something like the XG1199 would save ~60g and have more range?
Two reasons. The wheels I’m running have a shimano freehub, not the XD driver, this was primarily so the wheelset was still single Speed able. The other being the local Shimano rep is a good mate and I couldn’t really say no to the price.

It’s likely in the future that I’ll go to a Garbaruk cassette to get a little more range and loose a little more weight.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Started building the bike up this week. It’s going to be over the weight target by a bit but that’s no issue. I have plenty of tricks up my sleeve.

Chain came in at 240gm cut to length

I modified the XTR M9000 brakes as much as I ever would, and honestly I’m a little disappointed at what we saved here vs money spent.

I ordered, Banjo Kit, Olives, Brass Expander, Hose ends, bleed nipples and cylinder screws and the total weight saved? About 15grams on the brakes. I still haven’t done Ti caliber mount bolts or lever mount bolts but I was hoping for closer to 30gm before I’d done that. That brings each brake to approximately 184gm (Front) and 201gm (rear).

I do however like the fact all the hardware is black, and although I had to re machine a lip off one of the bolts the Titanium Planet parts are well made.

That’s all the original Shimano parts I removed

This is more than what I replaced it with. There’s an extra bleed screw and cap screw on the scales here which kinda fluffed up the comparison weights.

I also got some machining done to the Extralite cassette lockring to make it more comfortable with the 11T cassette. And I got some Delrin Barrel adjusters made. I made heaps of them back in high school and then promptly lost all of them. The guy I’ve got to make my parts is fantastic (@twowheelsandpedals on IG) and nailed the barrel adjusters. 0.8gm each

I’ll put a pic of them soon.

Also had some Ceramic Hybrid wheel bearings show up, I doubt they are lighter but they perform in a different way.

More coming later

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Glam shot of the Titanium Planet M9000 Parts.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

weeracerweenie wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:38 am
Glam shot of the Titanium Planet M9000 Parts.
Hey, I see that you got cage pivot axle among the other parts, what's the weight and how much original weights? Same goes for other RD-M9000 bits, if you changed any.
Last edited by Klaster_1 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com