New (re) Build: S-Works Epic HT (7.00kg Goal)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Hi all,

A few of you may remember my previous hardtail. See:

2017 S-Works Epic HT Single speed.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t

Long story short, I broke the frame, Specialized NZ kindly replaced it, same colour and size. I decided to take the opportunity to do some “Upgrades”

When spec’ing my race bikes i am fairly particular about how to build them. I’ve built road bikes well below 5kg, but that bike was never truely reliable. My XC bike for the last year has been mainly Single Speed around the 6.5kg mark (see previous post link). And while that bike has been stunning, I want to ride and race more events where I need gears. Over our Christmas holidays I spent a period of time in hospital, particularly unwell, and started to come up with a plan.

So with that in mind my new build won’t be built with silly light parts I don’t trust, the bars and stem are beefy, the wheels aren’t going to be noodles. It HAS to perform. I can run up to 1800/1900W so I’m not at all interested in breaking critical components. The bike also needs to be practice, so shifting, braking and handling are not going to be compromised. The bike will run a power meter, bottle cage, practical pedals etc.

Old bike:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Also it’s worth apologising now for my spelling and grammar.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Specialized claim the frameset weighs in “under 900gm complete”. I’ve asked for clarification on what that meant got very vague answers, somewhat understandably.

Here is what my frameset tipped the scales at:

Complete Frame, including all fitted hardware, not including thru axle.

Frameset with NOTHING on it. No hardware, no chainstay protector, no thru axle, no hanger. Nothing

Thru axle weight

Seatpost clamp

Hanger

Hardware

Chainstay protector

Who knows if the claimed weights is without paint, or what the deal is. Either way 887 is not heavy and for how it rides, I’m not complaining. This frameset easily outperforms every other bike I’ve ever owned.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Glamour shots for you as well

stoney

by stoney

I can't wait to see the finished product!

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

stoney wrote:I can't wait to see the finished product!
Can’t wait to ride the thing! Been a couple months riding on the tarmac now, missing the dirt!

scant

by scant

I hope you've healed okay, being injured/ill & off the bike sucks.

following with interest. will you be sticking with the rigid fork?

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

scant wrote:I hope you've healed okay, being injured/ill & off the bike sucks.

following with interest. will you be sticking with the rigid fork?
Illness rather than injury. Mostly under control now.

I still have the rigid fork but the Fox Factory 32 SC that I have are too damn nice to stop using. So for now I’ll be running that. They also well outperform the rigid in terms of stiffness too. No real drawbacks apart from the weight

scant

by scant

i've been running the 32sc for a while now & really like them too.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

scant wrote:i've been running the 32sc for a while now & really like them too.
I was genuinely impressed. I think it outshines all the Rockshox forks I’ve had for a while, the Kashima is bloody smooth.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

On my last build I ran a XX1 GXP Crankset, which i used in a Eccentric Bottom bracket as the tensioner for my single speeding. The B.B. was not light, although the GXP cranks, paired with the stages power meter never gave me any issues I decided to mix it up this time.

I took the plunge and brought a set of Raceface Next SL G4 cranks. Although I couldn’t source these locally I did source the matching spindle power meter locally (which is due in next month). The cranks were a claimed weight of 363gm without B.B. They were bang on that weight (didn’t get a scales photo sorry)

For a chainring I also went local. A local company called Revolution Components has been helping me out with chainrings for a while now. I went for a 36T, 3mm offset ring from them. At a claimed weight of 75gm it certainly rivals the Garbaruk and Absolute Black. In the 4 years I’ve been riding Revolution Components rings I’ve never once dropped a chain. They are durable as hell too, honestly great gear.

Anyway here is some glam photos.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

As promised:

439gm for the complete crank and chain is pretty good really. Very happy!

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

For the Bottom Bracket I decided to go for a Reset Racing PF30 B.B.

By god it’s a nice piece of kit, the bearings are stunning, the case is nicely made. Very happy.

Claimed weight was 80gm, my scales say 81gm, although mine doesn’t include any grease in it. In time I’ll put a pair of Ceramics in, as virtually every other part of the bike is ceramic already. Time will tell if it’s noisy or doesn’t take any abuse. I’ll update this later on.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Here’s some other bits and bobs I’ll be re-using.

Stem, 130mm -17 UNO stem. These things are so under rated for the $. And the weight is pretty good, especially for something this long. It has the steel bolts in it currently, just waiting for Toronto Cycles to re open their website. I’ll probably paint this as well, for some reason Acetone won’t budge the paint.

Bars are S-Works Prowess Carbons. Cut to about 670mm. I use these because they are VERY stiff and last time I tried a lightweight bar I broke it on the first ride.

Headset is controlled by a Extralite Ultra Topcap, I’ll replace the bolt, the 3mm sucks in them, and the expander needs to be dry and cranked really tight. Unsure if I’ll use the expander or just a bog standard star nut.

The cockpit on the bike is pretty beefy in all honesty. There’s no stems on the current market I feel perform like that UNO does, so it’ll stay for a while. The bars, I’m tossing up between the Darimo and Ceetec, I just have my reservations of stiffness. While I’m not a big guy I do swing on the ends of the bars and my position is front heavy. I do not want another failure like I have already experienced. So while you could easily knock 100gm out of the bar setup, I’m just not going too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Forgot to add,

Best grips in the whole wide world, including barplugs