by JLBSLR

DJT21 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:49 am
JLBSLR wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:35 am
DJT21 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:31 pm
Looks far better with the Zipps.

Gum walls should be banned unless you're middle aged and can't slam your stem.
I'm 41 and its slammed! Am i classed as middle aged yet :wink:
A slammed stem is like a fountain of youth. When we can only judge people online based on pictures of their bikes, I'd have said you were mid twenties :wink:

Deeper wheels and black tyres just look sharper and are more in-keeping with the rest of the aesthetic of the bike.
I've been blessed with good genetics to slam a stem but would trade in a heartbeat for a better aerobic capacity :wink:

I liked the Corsa's when i first put them on but now after 1800km they look like a bad spray tan. All patchy with the grime. Probably won't replace them with another set.

JLBSLR

by JLBSLR

bilwit wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:11 pm
JLBSLR wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:37 am
Guy's i'm sitting on the fence with regards to which look i prefer the most. The C40's are for everyday use and the Zipp's have moved on. Some C60's or Bora One DB Tubulars are most likley on the cards for racing.
Team BMC uses (used? RIP) gumwall corsas on theirs.. yours is virtually the same build now with the C40s and 3T bars. Can't really go wrong with a World Tour build IMO :P

I also tried them on my white Teammachine.. have to say I initially didn't think they looked as good as full black GPS4K Contis but they've grown on me as of late. I'm thinking I'll go black contis + 40mm deep wheels for everyday use and the gumwall Corsas with a deeper section wheelset for the fast days. IME the Corsas don't last as long as the Contis anyway (tread wear/"life" is fine but they get cut and shredded to bits before they're actually truly worn)
I have had a much better run out of the Michelin Power Competition tyres. Did almost 5000km on the rear before i started having punctures. With the Corsa's i had 4 punctures in teh first 1000km. They don't like wet roads it seems

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bilwit

by bilwit

JLBSLR wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:32 am
I liked the Corsa's when i first put them on but now after 1800km they look like a bad spray tan. All patchy with the grime. Probably won't replace them with another set.
Yeah the instant you use them on wet roads the clean aesthetic is gone. Some people on here have tipped me to use Aquasure on the sidewalls which is basically just a light adhesive used as a sealant to prevent discolouration. Haven't taken them out in the rain to test this yet though. Another thing about the Corsas is that they weigh quite a bit more than comparable tire (like the Contis) AND are more expensive to boot :x

DartanianX

by DartanianX

You’ve almost convinced me to get one!

I had my Trek Emonda SLR stolen last week so I’m in the midst of getting a new bike through insurance.

Couple of quick questions, can you;
a) run a regular stem with the cables still routed as if you were running the ICS?
B) just how slammed can you have it with the ICS and internally routed cables, ie does the guide have much / any stack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JLBSLR

by JLBSLR

DartanianX wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:49 am
You’ve almost convinced me to get one!

I had my Trek Emonda SLR stolen last week so I’m in the midst of getting a new bike through insurance.

Couple of quick questions, can you;
a) run a regular stem with the cables still routed as if you were running the ICS?
B) just how slammed can you have it with the ICS and internally routed cables, ie does the guide have much / any stack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm running my stem as low as you can get it. The ICS stem does have a large stack height compared to a regular stem to allow for the hydro cable to pass through. The steerer tube is a slightly different shape as well to let the cables pass through. I normally run a 56cm frame but when i worked out the extra stack height of the ICS stem i decided to go for the 54cm and run a 10mm longer stem.

DartanianX

by DartanianX

Hmmm, that's a shame.

I currently ride a 56 with a 140mm stem so even if I went down a size I'd not be able to go any longer than the 130 it would seem.

Back to the drawing board unless I can figure out a way to run a 150mm stem or -17 on the 56cm.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

I saw a picture on Instagram in the past of someone running a non-ICS stem on their Roadmachine 01 which also uses the ICS stem. I believe it was only temporary and I couldn't see exactly how the cables were managed, but they were certainly run underneath the stem and passed into the frame like the ICS stem does.

The other option is the SLR02 disc which has traditional cable routing and stem so you could use a longer/lower stem.

JLBSLR

by JLBSLR

DartanianX wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:46 am
Hmmm, that's a shame.

I currently ride a 56 with a 140mm stem so even if I went down a size I'd not be able to go any longer than the 130 it would seem.

Back to the drawing board unless I can figure out a way to run a 150mm stem or -17 on the 56cm.
What is the reach of your bars? I had a similar issue many years ago hence why i run Rotundo's now which are about 89mm in reach.

STUB1

by STUB1

JLBSLR,

Awesome bike. I just got one and took it for my first ride today, super impressed. Looking at your underneath stem shot, do you have only one group of cables running under the bars? Are your di2 cables running through the stem?

JLBSLR

by JLBSLR

STUB1 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:33 pm
JLBSLR,

Awesome bike. I just got one and took it for my first ride today, super impressed. Looking at your underneath stem shot, do you have only one group of cables running under the bars? Are your di2 cables running through the stem?
My Di2 cables are shrink wrapped to be hydro cables to the point they transition in to the stem. Approx half way along the plastic cover they then seperate and take their own path down the head tube. Hope that helps.