Godzuki26 goes pink - Litespeed T1SL but first a 4.05kg Scott Addict R2

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I have been wanting a rideable bike that is titanium. The 3.76 kg or 8.29 lb Purple Freakon Litespeed Ghisallo was very fun to put together but terrible to ride. I can say now that a bike that is tuned too much takes away from simply riding the bike and having fun. Questions like "am I going to snap the rear derailleur cage?", "am I going to be able to descend and be able to stop?", "Is the fork going to snap on me?", "is the slightest bit of wind going to road sail me into the curb?", "will I snap teeth if I shift under load?", ect always run through my mind when taking those kind of bikes out. The Ghisallo frame in size S is very difficult to acquire and I am not going to part with it just yet. I will redo some of the parts to make it more rideable. Soft pedaling around to not break parts is not something I want to continue doing.

So for round 2 with titanium on Weightweenies, I want to build a light bike but not be too crazy with the tuning. This bike will need to be under 10.5lbs so I am shooting for sub 4.70kg. I hate logos so I will definately debadge everything going on this bike like I usually do. I will still tune some parts that won't affect performance such as the top cap and little things like that but I will not do anything with the drive train other than removing logos.

Some of the bikes I have always wanted was a full 6/4 Reynolds seamless tubed bike like the Moots Compact SL or the Airborne Torch. The Merlin Works 6/4 was also another bike I have always wanted. The 3 bikes mentioned above are almost impossible to find in a size S so I stopped looking. Although the Litespeed T1SL is a blended 6/4 frame, I love all the crazy shaping that they do to make this bike. I heard someone use the term "Technical Titanium" for this bike and I can see why. The chainstays have unique shapes that you will never see on a Seven or Moots who stick with the standard round tubes. The seamed 6/4 toptube on the T1SL looks like it takes a lot of skill and time to shape. I remember reading an article by Seven on the lack of benefits on 6/4 titanium. This article turned me away from Seven forever because I took it as they simply don't want to deal with 6/4 because it is too time consuming and difficult to work with. Yet they charge the same, if not more than Litespeed. To take a flat sheet of 6/4 titanium and manipulate it into a diamond shaped top tube takes skill, precision, and tons of time. The toptube on this bike is stunning. Much more labor intensive compared to a round butted top tube. The T1SL is the definition of technical titanium.

As I wait for the frame, I am going to use parts I have already. I want pink highlights because my purple fever has been satisfied through the Felt AR FRD and the Litespeed Ghisallo. So to get me started here are some pink parts:

Last edited by godzuki26 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:35 am, edited 13 times in total.
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Good timing. Just as RyanH is abandoning Ti you are embarking on a new Ti build. I will follow this thread with high interest. The T1SL was at one time on the top of my list. I ended up going with a custom Ti build. I love my bike but I would love to add a second Ti bike in the future. Just curious. Have you looked at another boutique Ti builder Bill Holland? I grew up in San Diego and a Holland should be the official bike of San Diego, lol. They offer a unique Ti/Carbon matrix tube that looks quite sexy.

Good luck with your build and a good choice not to pursue an extreme WW on the build.

danbjpa

by danbjpa

Yes. Here we go again.
Following!

romanmoser

by romanmoser

I've found a litespeed t1sl frameset but with 3T fork :( in my size ML for a good price ...
I'm trying to resist the need now that I've switched to a disc brake aero bike

But it's one of the few rims brake frames on my list that I want to try
damn

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@pdlpsher1 - I have seen the Holland bikes with the Carbon and titanium matrix. My buddy has one and it is a beautiful frame. My buddy also had a Titus RacerX Exogrid many years ago and I really loved the the look of it. Right now I am craving an all metal bike. My ultimate dream bike is a Passoni Mito with ISP. I could have owned one years ago from someone who wanted to trade me the frame for a Barcelona lounge chair and Noguchi coffee table but my wife said she will kill me if I did it.

@Romanmoser - Yes I know which frame you are talking about. $1800 on craigslist. I wish it was my size. I am not quite ready to switch to disc. I have too many wheel sets that will become useless if I make the leap. The T1SL disc is super clean with the internal cable routing and I think it is the disc bike I would choose if I was ready to commit. I will switch when THM releases the Scapula disc fork and Trickstuff releases RoadHydraulic brifters✌️

ImageFelt AR FRD

Vuong05

by Vuong05

This is going to be special as always. Subscribed.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I have owned multiple Schmolke TLO handlebars purchased from multiple retailers both domestic and international. The claimed weight on the Oversize TLO Road bars are always listed between 135g to 155g. The half dozen bars I have purchased are always between 153g and 155g. I emailed Schmolke and asked them why. They told me that for retail sales they overbuild them to compensate for the wider range of users who may or may not be leaning towards the max weight capacity. I asked them to give me the lightest one they have in stock and they said sure we have one that is 133g. I wanted the new EVO shape which suits me better and has more of a modern shape. I also asked for an extra set of decals in black. The red just throws everything off.

Last edited by godzuki26 on Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Of course I don't need them to be that long so I trimmed them down. I also took the decals off with acetone. The replacement decals must be baked back on. I really don't want to do this so I will keep it stealth and decal-less. 130 grams for a 31.8 mm oversize bar is crazy light. If you want one this light, purchase straight through Schmolke's website.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I will need the lightest 120mm stem on the market. That would be the Ax Lightness Rigid stem.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

The bar and stem combo is 208.5 grams. That is lighter than my 110mm Ax Lightness Zeus and 26.0mm Ax Lightness handlebar combination. I always thought you had to go retro with the 26.0mm bar stem combo to be lighter but I guess I was wrong.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I love these Schmolke boxes. I don't like jewlery but is this how my wife feels when she gets a blue Tiffany & Co Jewlery box? The only problem with the Schmolke is she didn't give them to me....I bought them myself. :mrgreen:

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Not saving too much weight with the end caps but man they are well made and look nice. I will not butcher these by drilling holes down the middle. There is a stealth Schmolke logo etched into these. I like them a lot.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

As for the titanium shifter clamps, they do not come with bolts so I will need to provide my own. Comparing the weight to stock stainless steel clamps, there is some weight savings here. About 3 grams per clamp. Not a whole lot.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

So with the bolt, the stock clampset for the Etap Levers are 26.42 grams. I need to find a light bolt. The stock hollow steel bolt is not very light.

ImageFelt AR FRD

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

lookin good!
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com