Back in the saddle - Litespeed T6

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

rlpaul

by rlpaul

Thanks guys. This has probably been my favorite frame to build up.

I haven't ridden in a group in years, so one chainring fits me just fine. There's some steeper descents that I'd likely spin out on, but my current routes don't hit them, and riding by myself, it wouldn't bother me that much. On the other hand, if I was riding in a paceline, I'd likely opt for a double.

leicaman

by leicaman

Any chance of some up close photos of the fork please? I can’t decide whether to sand my Litespeed fork down or leave it as is.

Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rlpaul

by rlpaul

I'll try to get some proper sun powered photos this weekend. I'm not done sanding the fork, just haven't made the time to complete it, so keep that in mind.

New seatpost clamp came in today. Already replaced the bolt with a blue ti one.

Believe this is under advertised weight, lucky lucky.

rlpaul

by rlpaul

@leicaman I actually took this a week ago, but have had some craziness happening. Without further ado...

My particular fork has the seam on both sides for the outer UD layer right in the middle, as you can see in the photo, rather than on one of the edges. The clear coat masked this. Also, obvious I have more sanding to do :) I'm hoping a thin layer of matte 2k finish will 're-mask' the seam.

rlpaul

by rlpaul

Dura-Ace 9100 shifters:

Wait... Dura-Ace? Yep, switching back to Shimano. I've always had a love-hate relationship with SRAM, but I haven't owned Dura-Ace since 7800... only thing I didn't like back then was the hood shape. And since that's completely different now...!

rlpaul

by rlpaul

As a years-long SRAM Red user, Dura-Ace shifter weight has always been a bit disappointing. So, let's trim a bit off.

Dura-Ace 9100 clamps:

Funny how Shimano does a real good job with these. I'm not really saving all that much weight vs my old B-T-P clamps...

The B-T-P clamps are on the bike currently, so just have to unbolt the SRAM, and put the DA ones on. Easiest mod ever.

happyon2wheels

by happyon2wheels

Great build report, thanks for all the detailing.

Spectacular looking bike - especially with the climbing wheels. They somehow match the whole balance of the bike really well.

And codus for using JT as inspiration for wanting a ti bike. He was the style icon of the early MTB era if any asks me :thumbup:

rlpaul

by rlpaul

Being a teenager in the 90s, for me, Tomac was The Man. I rode a Klein Pulse in the 90s, so I enjoyed watching Tinker ride them for a bit, but it was Tomac that I always wanted to read about. As pretty and cool as Kleins were, Titanium is something else altogether, and Tomac rode some pretty famous Ti bikes.

I don't mountain bike anymore, so a Ti MTB doesn't make sense, but I can honestly say Ti is worth it to me on the road. I'm glad I finally took the plunge.

rlpaul

by rlpaul

In other news, I have packages coming from the UK, France, and... Spain. More updates coming!

The obvious missing piece is the DA 9100 rear derailleur. Hoping it'll be here before the weekend. Bike is currently pedal-less as I'm modding some new pedals. Teaser:

Ti bolts, Ti bowties. I've ran alloy bowties like the Nanos before, but not successfully. Bent them after only a few rides. They also chew up rather quickly.

rlpaul

by rlpaul

Since I'm going to Shimano, with their increased pull ratio for brakes, I want some brakes designed for said ratio.

I have some old 7900 brakes. Never particularly liked the way these looked, but functionally, they're very good.

From what I've seen, 7900 brakes are lighter than any of the 9000 series. I like the way 9100 looks... but I think I can do better for the price.

Enter some NOS TRP Magnesiums, specific to modern Shimano pull.

I've always wanted to try the TRP Mags. These in particular are the 979 SL. They're quite possibly the beefiest looking caliper I've seen. SR brakes look like toys next to them.

SR Skeleton is lighter (by like, 5 grams or so), but they're completely the wrong ratio, so they'll go on my single speed project.

ukracer

by ukracer

What chainring and size did you go for, and would you make any changes in hindsight to the number of teeth?

rlpaul

by rlpaul

I'm still running a Garbaruk 42 tooth. I think a 44 would be good for my area, since I don't have much in the way of long ascents. I usually ride around 90-100 RPM at speed, which translates to around 30 mph/48kmh in the 42x11. For now, that's good enough for me, but it's also the crappy weather time of year, when I'm riding more for base miles at a lower speed. We'll see how things look come summer.

Keep in mind that I primarily ride solo, not in a paceline. I'd likely go back to a double (50/36) if I were riding in a paceline regularly.

rlpaul

by rlpaul

Finished tuning my Speedplays.

RyanH

by RyanH

Alloy butterflies? If not, need some more details on those spindles.

Curious what your take is on the 979SL's is. I was searching for awhile for a reasonably priced pair. They're pretty cool looking in person.

rlpaul

by rlpaul

Ti butterflies. I've had two bad experiences with alloy butterflies.

These are the Dulight spindles. Almost exactly the same weight as my Ward spindles.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com