A classic lightweight, a curly wurly, and the rest of the parts bin

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

themidge

by themidge

Mudguards fitted to the Hetchins, just in time for spring :wink:.

They were a bit of pain to fit, but now I've got it all set up I thought I'd show how it's set up.

The 'fender' (since these are American) is fitted to the fork crown with a daruma, an eyebolt which hangs from the brake bolt like this:

Looks pretty clean I think.

The rear is a bit messier, but I tried to keep the 'L' bracket tucked away neatly:

Since the chainstay bridge isn't drilled, I borrowed the 'P' clip from the old SKS chromoplastics and wrapped the bridge in some electrical tape for paint protection and rattle prevention:

And tucked the end of the mudguard quite far below the BB:

My favourite bit is the bolts which attach the stays to the mudguard:

I even used the two spare ones for fixing the front stays to the fork, shame I had to use the proper part at the rear:

themidge

by themidge

I forgot the weight! Heavy is the answer, and quite slow too until I get some veloflex masters on instead of these awful 20mm panaracers. Comes in at ~10.5kg at the moment, will easily stay under 11kg with the following changes that I'm definitely making:
  • handlebars - cinelli criterium -> 3ttt superleggero, -40g (already on their way)
  • brakes - shimano 105 SLR* -> mafac competition, +30g
  • brake levers - shimano 105 SLR -> mafac, unsure of weight, +/- a few grams
  • front rack - none -> dia compe ene, +160g
  • tyres - panaracer pasela -> veloflex master 25, -32g

I also have some other weight saving but style preserving ideas:
- new, lighter freewheel with better ratios
- lightweight alloy/Ti seatpost
- drill stem for centre pull cable instead of using hanger
- huret jubilee derailleurs, but I want some of those for the Vitus too!
- simplex retrofriction shifters
- lighter pedals, that's a problem on all my bikes :D

* really good single pivot brakes, but centre-pull is necessary for rack mounting and style points.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

themidge

by themidge

new handlebars arrived quickly, 3ttt competizione superleggera 38cm

Saved a fair chunk of weight compared to the old Cinelli Criteriums

The Cinelli 1A stem in 85mm is also quite light after taking out the unnecessary expander

themidge

by themidge

Uhhhhhh
It was only £20!

Relatively decent tubing, though I did weigh the whole of the above and it was 3334g!

The only place where the frame isn't in really good condition is the DS chainstay, but all that mess might get covered in a chain slap guard.

Isn't this stem the coolest thing ever!

I like it, hopefully it fits :P. Probably going to do a drop bar supple-tyres gravel thing on the cheap.

MiloAS

by MiloAS

Did i just see this on LFGSS as well? Lovely retro mtb

themidge

by themidge

Yeah, bit of cross-posting going on :D

I'll try to do the frame justice, but it'll be a while before it's up and running given that I have to source a whole bike's worth of parts: canti's, 26" wheels, some decent tyres (slick, preferably gumwall, basically Compass without the huge price tag but that might be wishful thinking), seatpost, bars, saddle. The groupset will probably be the 105 from the cannondale once that eventually gets upgraded.

themidge

by themidge

I still haven't done anything about the state of poor Andre Bertin's front fork :(. However, I did do a bit of a mock-up yesterday to see how it might look once I get round to it.

I really need to get my act together before I grow out of this one too or something!

The muddy fox is also still as it was in April. I think I might try to streamline my 'stable' to three bikes: Cannondale Supersix, Hetchins Super Brilliant, Vitus 979. But then there's winter riding (I'd rather not on the Hetchins) and running around town and what if I want to go MTBing or cross riding, etc :mrgreen:

BmanX

by BmanX

Following
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

themidge

by themidge

Oh dear, looks like the Scottish winter has finally taken its toll on my DA c24 rear wheel :(
I noticed my brakes were rubbing on a very short commute yesterday, but this morning I had a look and two spoke holes have delaminated, along with a loose spoke. I suppose I went over one cobble too many :D, the rim is also rather concave which probably weakened it.

Before I take the wheel apart, does anyone know what the dimensions (for calculating spoke length) of the DA7900 rear hub are? I want to rebuild the hub since it's still running nice and smoothly.

The front wheel is still fine, but if anyone knows any good 16h alloy clincher rims that are ≤500g then I'm all ears as I don't expect it to last much longer.

themidge

by themidge

ImageImage

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I like those honjo guards

themidge

by themidge

^ They're beautiful aren't they :D. Actually Velo orange not Honjo, but basically the same thing. Unfortunately the rear one cracked at the brake, so the Hetchins is back to being a racer. I'm tempted to ride it fixed, I have 4 other geared bikes, and it would originally have been fixed or single speed anyway.

In other news, I finally built up that Muddy Fox Pathfinder I guess as a pub/gravel bike. I can see why mtb caught on in the 90s, it's great fun smashing round off road and on gravel trails, even with the shit tyres the wheels came with it's way better than #roadbikegravel.