A classic lightweight, a curly wurly, and the rest of the parts bin

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

kgt

by kgt

The Hetchins is gorgeous! It deserves a serious restoration IMHO.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

themidge

by themidge

Thanks :D, it could do with a repaint at least, some touring induced scratches in the paint and a tiny bit of surface rust in places. Perhaps I'll strip it down and send it off to the painters in the winter, but for now I'm just riding it!

themidge

by themidge

Nice ride on the Hetchins today. The handling feels really odd getting on it after riding the (more similar, between each other) Cannondale and Vitus, but I get used to it pretty quickly and I love the ride quality. Also found myself in harder gears than I thought I would be, never used the 26, the one below only once, and the others similar to the ones I'd use on the much lighter Cannondale in the same situations. Not sure why, I experience the same thing on the Vitus which has a 38t little ring compared to the Cannondale's 34t :noidea:. Anyone else noticed this?
myphonecameraissobad!

I didn't get on perfectly with the saddle though, so I've swapped it out for my (still heavy, but saved a few grams!) stock B'twin SLR style saddle.
Madison G11:
B'twin SLR style:
The seatpost is now at max length, so we'll see how that goes, but it's fine for the moment.

themidge

by themidge

Winter is coming, and the B'twin is getting built up again.
Not sure how I managed to get my foot in that photo :D .
Got the cranks out so I can replace the super worn BB, and my goodness they are heavy!
So are the chainring bolts, more than twice as heavy as the ones on my Cannondale:
And here's what I need to buy to get me up and running, not a huge amount thankfully, including tools I need anyway:
ImageImageImage
ImageImageand a brake nut
This thing is gonna weigh like 11kg, but winter bikes are supposed to be heavy :twisted: .

Edit: forgot bar tape:
I don't think my usual Tesa tape is really cut out for winter, so I'm trying Deda Mistral. Fluro orange might not be the best look, but it'll match the highlights on the frame at least.

themidge

by themidge

Dug out, disassembled, cleaned, and weighed some of the parts for this winter build that aren't on the cannondale.
ImageImageImage
Bontrager 10cm -7* stem, b'twin handlebars, b'twin (probably tektro) brakes
ImageImageImage
bearing cover + ring, bottle cage bolts, RD hanger + bolts
ImageImageImage
B'twin fork (alloy steerer :?), shimano 105 5700 FD, SKS chromoplastic mudguards (from the Hetchins)
ImageImageImage
carbon spacers 5cm, top cap and bolt, seat clamp
ImageImageImage
mavic aksium front wheel, mavic aksium rear wheel, mavic skewers

Yeah this is going to be a heavy bike :mrgreen: .

themidge

by themidge

More weights:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Std. gramin mount, shimano tiagra cassette, shimano PD-R540 pedals, shimano BB-R60, shimano 105 5700 shifters, shimano 105 5700 RD
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
selle italia slr flow vanox saddle, prowheel (praxis) 50/34 chainrings, elite custom race cages, ciamillo pad holders w/ b'twin bolts, b'twin triban 540 frame w/ headset, b'twin seatpost w/ lock holder

Other stuff like bar tape I can't be bothered to upload all the photos, but it's on the spreadsheet:
The Hetchins is still heavier! :P

themidge

by themidge

I have created a monster :lol:
It goes awrite, similar handling to the Supersix but a touch twitchier and slightly shorter and lower. It feels nice and stiff as well, I think the DA c24's I had on the Supersix were a bit flexier than these heavy Mavics.

In other news, I rode the Hetchins this sunny afternoon, love this bike :D.
I roughly measured the trail of the bike and got 30mm, but I'd be surprised if it really is that low. Apparently low trail bikes are good for carrying front loads, so I strapped onto the bars the Carradice saddlebag my Grandad also gave me:
The handling wasn't adversely affected, it felt more or less the same. However, I couldn't hold the tops properly and the bag is a bit wide, if I decide I really need a handlebar bag (I don't at the moment) I'll make one in just the right size.
I've got some upgrades planned for this bike:
Old gloss black paint ----------------------> New gloss black paint (probably metallic, with gold lug-lining), I like gloss black paint
Shimano 105 1050 brakes---------------> Mafac Racer/Competitions, partly because they look cool, but mainly because of improved clearance for...
No mudguards/SKS chromoplastics---> velo orange 'fenders', 35mm
Panaracer Pasela 20mm(!) tyres-------> 28mm Panaracer GravelKings, because Veloflexes are a bit flimsy for the bumpy tracks I'd like to ride more often
Suntour Perfect 5 speed freewheel----> a 'narrow' (because 120mm spacing) 6 speed freewheel
I might also see about getting a one inch threadless stem too, as the headset design means there's a good amount of unthreaded steerer tube poking out the top of the frame, enough to safely clamp a low-stack stem on anyway.

themidge

by themidge

^Everyone ought to have a pair of Simplex Retrofriction shifters in their life :D

The Hetchins is basically a race bike at the moment:
But I don't need two retro race bikes (not sure I even need one, but let's not talk about that :wink: ) so the plan is for it to become a fast tourer/do-it-all. A bit like this one, but not painted on a plate:

themidge

by themidge

Inspired by this blog post, I've made myself a tyre-fit gauge:
It fits over the skewer put in the frame by itself, and different tyre widths slot on either a 650b or 700c rim radius. Checking it against actual wheels with actual tyres on, it seems to be accurate enough. You want a bit of leeway when it comes to tyre clearance anyway!
Apparently I can fit 650b x 38mm tyres in the Hetchins if I want to.

themidge

by themidge

Is this weight any good for a reynolds 531 fork?
I was expecting it to be heavier, given its material and age :noidea:.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Yes that fork is fine.

That btwin is not heavy. In fact we need a heavy bike anti weenie thread.

I already have simplex friction shifters in my life along with modolo carbon shifters and friction thumbies. The kids of today with indexed shifting don't know what they are missing. I need to change gear, I can't be bothered moving my arm so I'll stay in top. Its how those corn cob freewheels came about.

Yes you do need to keep both old bikes. There are bikes in my garage I may ride once a year breifly. I will never sell them. Buy more in fact.

themidge

by themidge

bm0p700f wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:28 pm

Yes you do need to keep both old bikes. There are bikes in my garage I may ride once a year breifly. I will never sell them. Buy more in fact.
I will certainly never sell the Hetchins, it's priceless to me. If I were to sell the Vitus it would only be the frame, and that exchanged for a bigger Vitus, since it's on the edge of way too small for me. I think the agony of having a bike I love but can't ride* would be worse than the sadness of letting it go to a new home.
I certainly hope to acquire more old bikes :D I love their looks and the different experience you get riding them. For any kind of bike where super light weight or modern technology isn't really necessary, retro is the way to go I think.

* as in, a bike that is perfectly serviceable but somehow incompatible with the distraut rider.

themidge

by themidge

themidge wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:08 am
If I were to sell the Vitus it would only be the frame, and that exchanged for a bigger Vitus...
Uhhhhhh...
Weight Weenies, meet Andre... Andre, meet Weight Weenies
That's right, it's another, slightly bigger, white Vitus 979 :D.
It's a lightweight boi too:
The steel grub screw is a bit heavy, but I bet it's still lighter than a proper clamp:
So is the Campagnolo BB that came with the frame, spins really nicely:
And guess what, I snagged all that for £166.89 8) Better still, it's a size I can actually ride (the 'benotto' is a 51, this a 56) and in practically perfect condition. All of me is smiling :D.

Since the frame is bigger, I can use the old seatpost with the expander. I wondered how much the expander mechanism weighed:
Quite a lot! But I like it better than using the grub screw as the only seatpost holder-upper.

I'll be swapping over most of the parts from the Benotto, but a new chain, cables, and bar tape are in order.

themidge

by themidge

Unfortunately the fork had to be sent off to get a new steerer, the threads were damaged and the whole thing too short. While I wait, I thought I'd do the bar tape (here resting on the old 'benotto' frame) and engage in a bit a electrical tape art :D

My bar end plugs (ITA flag) are a bit confused though. With the world champs stripes on the new frame as well as the french flag, this is going to be quite a multicultural bike.

I also found the other end of the internal cable routing when I undid the old bar tape:
Whoever drilled these holes either had their handlebars at a terrible angle, or just did it wrong :? Oh well, we'll call it aero.
It should be more like this:

A longer stem will help, the 80mm one from the benotto is probably a bit short anyway.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com