What's in the garage thread

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well I start off with one that's going to be in the garage but since I only finished it this morning it's still got to get home.

Pinarello stelvio.

I bought this frame in May I think. The paint was good as is the chrome but sadly the decals had that Pinarello disease. So off to the painters it went.
The chrome has not been touched.

The bike is a 58cm with a 58cm top tube.

Build spec
Campagnolo Record 11 speed drive train with chorus shifters. A chorus 12-29t cassette is fitted. As the groupset is second hand the rings are 50/34t which is not my preference. I might go 1x on it. I have a 46t chainring from garbaruk for 5 bolt 135mm bcd. Maybe I'll get used to the lower gearing. I probably will. the single ring will be kept for something else.

Pedals are my favourite, Campagnolo Record Titanium.

Headset is a Campagnolo Record 1" threaded.

A Cinelli grammo 120mm quill stem is fitted. I actually could not use a Nitto Quill with these bars. The Grammo quill steem clamp can be opened more being Ti to get round the tight bend without marking the bar too badly. If I used a nitto quill the bars would have been marked or dmaged or I would have dmaged the stem trying to get them to fit which would have meant a quill stem adpater and a Nitto A head stem. This bike needs a quill stem and the Deda Murex is only other quill stem I could have used. But since I have a spare Grammo why not use it.
Bars are Nitto M106 NAS 42cm. the shape of these is perfect.

Seatpost is a Nitto S83. The saddle is something I had kicking around. I think it should be changed. I live with it for the time being as I have spent too much as it is lately.

Bar tape is Cinelli Volee.

The wheels I have had a while. HED C2 Belgium tubular rims laced to Campagnolo Record hubs 28H with Sapim Cx-rays spokes. Continental Competition 25mm tyres are glued on. I built this bike because the wheels were sitting about unused.

Bottle cage are from Nitto.

Total weight is 8.83kg but this is a 2kg steel frame, steel fork with parts picked not for being light.

The QR's will be changed. I think this bike needs a set of original Campagnolo Record quick releases or Royce Talent. I have a new set of silver Chorus QR's but these don't look fitting somehow.

I am looking forward to the first proper ride on it.

I'll slowly post all 21 bikes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Nice Neo-Retro! I love older frames with more modern gear...built to be used!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

It will be used. probably next week. I feel some long commutes coming on.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Early to mid eighties Carlton Kermese. Built with Renoylds 501 tubing. It's no weenie.

A customer dropped it off for restoration. I did the job but he has vanished that was two years ago. Do as its my size ill keep it. 58cm again.

The brakes and levers are weinman, nothing special there except they have been polished.

Headset is a Tange Seiki Levin for 27.0mm crown race.

The chainset, shifters and mechs are shimano 105 golden arrow. Polished of course. The bb is the original cup and cone effort. Pedals are Olympic XXI

The wheels that were in the bike were pony. Old mailard hubs that did not turn and a rim that had split at the join. As I had a pair of nos campagnolo tubular rims strada and chromo I figured I'd use those. Another good customer clearing out his loft before moving gave me a set of tubular wheels with campagnolo hubs. As one of the rims was split the other was a Mavic monthlery Pro fir which I had nothing matching I built the set you see here. 32 spoke front and 36 spoke rear. The hubs after a full cup and cone change are perfect. The shells did require polishing. You can tell the polishing I did and the polishing done by wyatts polishing in Thetford. They also chromed the forks and bb lock ring.

Dugast Paris roubaix 27mm tyres finish it off.

The freewheel came if those gifted wheels. A 6 speed 13-18t. I think next year I'll do Paris roubaix on it.

Weight who cares. I don't.

time poetry

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Sannino back from painting.

58cm steel Columbus genius frame. 1630g

Rear wheel. 38mm deep tubular on hope to glide hub. Cassette is campagnolo record ti (9 ti sprockets one steel pole sprocket) with a Royce ti lockring. Carbon Ti skewer included in weight of 1188g

More to come

michael jackson kids real names
Last edited by bm0p700f on Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The parts well most of them that are going on.
Some are well all are a bit dirty so need cleaning but as I found with the headset that is not easy. Really an ultrasonic bath is needed. The groupset is record 10 speed except the front mech (chorus) and the brakes which are Daytona.

Record chainset 537g
Royce BB 180g
Daytona brakes 355g
Record 10 speed ethos 336g
Chorus 10speed FD 76g
Record 10 speed rd medium cage 200g
Columbus nominal fork cut to slam the stem actually cut after the steerer cracked a few years ago with bung 336g
Deda superleggaro stem 140mm and 42cm bars 403g
Use alien seat post and seller Italia SLR l3 saddle
Campagnolo seat binder bolt 10g
Front wheel 38mm Deep tubular 18h with hope to glide hub.
FSA orbit 1" headset 79g
Cane creek top cap and steel bolt 11g
Down tube boss adapters
Record ti pedals but there is corrosion. They work fine though. 271g
King cages 91g

michael jackson kids real names

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Alan competizone 1980/81. This is a glued and screwed frame. I have had this 6 years.

It was a racing bike once. Weight is approx 10kg.
Super champion Arc d'ciel tubular rims 32h laced to Campagnolo Record hubs. 22 mm conti gator skin tubs are glued on. It needs nicer tubs. In fact I have a set of nos Wolber 22mm tubs in great condition. I should stick those on.

Campagnolo brake levers are used. Not sure which ones perhaps c record. Either way I lack hoods for them. The brakes are Shimano 105 single pivot. These are poor. How people raced and stopped back then is beyond me. The bars are 3ttt and so is the stem. The bars are not comfortable though. The tops is good, the drops are fine. Hands on the hoods is not great and it's not the lack of hoods that's the problem.

The drivetrain is roper old school. 177.5mm Campagnolo Strada cranks possibly super record. Chainrings are 52:44t. The front derailleur is super record. The rear derailleur is triomphe. The shifters are of course campagnolo. The rear shifting is shall we say period and requires practice. The front shifting is odd. In 52t: 14t or 13t you can't downshift into the 44t ring without chain being caught in between the rings. You have be mid or upper freewheel first before downshifting the front.

The freewheel is a suntour 13 to 18t micro 6 speed. Now this the freewheel all the cadance control advocates should use.

The headset and BB are period campagnolo.

The pedals are look pp76 which made an appearance in 1984 but went on sale in 1985 I think. The saddle is a seller Italia turbo.

It is of course wonderful to ride. All it flaws simply add character. On a modern bike they would simply be flaws. Yes it could be cleaner but the aluminium tubing is pitted and scratched in places making a good clean difficult.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

This is in the house tonight. Orange Stage 4. This bike replaces the Kenesis FF29 which was stolen in France. Insurance paid out and I got this. The king is dead long live the heavier king. The stem is not the final choice. The stem can drop a bit and the steerer can be cut once that posotion has been proven over a few weeks. Then I will change the stem. I have a few different chain rings to test out too. A Carbon Ti very oval chainring, a Garbaruk which is orange and a Leonardi track ring which is what they call there asymmetric ring. I have a Leonardi 9-48T cassette (12 speed) to try out as well.

Frame and Fox rear shock 3.04kg - XL
Hope headset
Fox R34 stepcast fork
SRAM XX1 shifters, cassette, chain and derailleurs
Fox transfer dropper post
Shimano XTR M9000 brakes and Shimano centrelock rotors although I hanker after some Hope brakes.
Thompson carbon All mountain bar and Cinelli Vai 90mm stem
Sella Italia SLR L3 saddle
Rotor REX1.1 chainset and rotor 36T Q ring currently
Training wheels 29er BORG35 wheels (35mm external width) with DT Swiss 350 boost hubs because I lacked the hubs I wanted to use, Sapim Froce spokes with PTN.
IRC Mythos 29x2.10" tyres tubeless.
Wheel set planned
Carbon Ti boost hubs and BORG30 carbon rims probably with PTN tyre inserts but can I really be bothered given the bikes weight. Yes is the answer eventually.
weight nearly 13kg so it not great up a hill but on the flat and down hill its great.

12hr race this weekend in Thetford forest solo. So this will be its first race. The bike is so comfortable and the unsophisicated suspension works so well. I love it.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Sannino nearly done. Just one bolt to remove from the stem and new decals for rims. New hoods needed too.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Cycles Gitane. This is a dream wet bike. I am a self confessed rim brake, close ratio 5 arm dinasour. Dream bikes can be modest.

I have always wanted a campagnolo 8 speed groupset so this bike is born. Ebay turned up a cycles gitane frame made from super vitus double butted tubing. Weight 1830g for a 58cm frame and 610g for the forks.

The wheels I already had and are kinlin xr22t/rt rim on miche hubs. The tyres are IRC formula pro guard 28mm and a schwlabe one 25mm which I need to wear out.

The shifters are campag 8 speed but unknown model. They are a later model with resin paddle and ergo body. The original set I have with alloy paddle and body have shifting issues so need repair. Shifters cost £45 of ebay.

The rear derailleur cost me £25 of ebay and is a record 8 speed model. Sadly the old stratos rd i had is missing it barrel adjuster and this adjuster is no longer avilable. A modern one wont fit unless the thread is altered.

The front derailleur, athena chainset and monoplanar brakes I already had. These items were pretty cheap. The headset is a tanage passage because they are really good and cheap.

The saddle is an old sdg which maybe tatty but it is comfortable. The seat post is a cheap one that fits and that part of the dream. A wet bike that is kind to my wallet.

Bar and stem are nitto which is the only real money I have spent on this bike.

Finger mudguard have been used. These are really heavy but keep my feet free of spray. Priceless that.

Pedals are a old set of campagnolo look delta style from the 90's. They are pretty much NOS and cost £25. Look delta style pedals are my favourite road pedal because they are cheap now and very robust.

Gearing is 53/39T and 12-25T. I have used a miche 9 speed set of sprockets with miche m drive 8 speed spacers to give the correct spacing for campagnolo 8 speed. Ratios are 12-13-15-17-19-21-23-25T.
Total weight is 12.3kg but its comfortable and shifts well on the flat. Uphill I just sit down and spin in 39/25t.

It did its first commute this morning and ride is sublime. Gear shifting is as it should be and pretty good. Dream bikes dont have to be expensive. They merely have to be a joy to ride and this one is.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com