Stinner Gibraltar / American Dream

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Here is my recently madeover Stinner Gibraltar.

Frame was originally built for me in fall 2015 and delivered to a friend in San Francisco. I flew over with a bike bag full of parts, built the bike at his place to explore the local roads, then brought the bike with me home.

At the time custom geometry was included in the base pricing. While my fit is nothing unusual it did appeal for aesthetic reasons, as I wanted classic rather than compact geometry. I provided the numbers of my Canyon Ultimate and asked for a slightly less aggressive position (taller stack/shorter reach), slacker seattube angle to retain my saddle position with a zero-setback post, horizontal top tube and curved seatstays.

As I wanted to try out Campagnolo the bike was outfitted with a brand new Chorus 2015 groupset along with a Mavic R-Sys SLR wheelset I already had. Though Campy wasn't bad per se, the ergonomics of Sram DoubleTap was still my preference. This year I decided to sell the Ultimate in preparation for a future move to disc brakes and in the meantime make some changes to the Gibraltar.

During my two years of relatively light use the paintwork had suffered many small scuffs. As the bike was already disassembled, it seemed a good opportunity to get a repaint done. I found a local painter to apply a fresh fade and a printer who could do mirror chrome stickers. Wheels and bottle cages were moved over from my Ultimate, most of the other parts scavenged over time on eBay from primarily new bike take-offs.

At about 8.7 kg all inclusive (with saddle bag, pump, computer, etc.) this is far from a weight weenie bike. Still, it is a nice feeling to have something fairly unique and not run into ten carbon copies on any given ride!
Attachments
Stinner American Dream 1.jpg
Stinner American Dream 2.jpg
Stinner American Dream 3.jpg
Stinner American Dream 4.jpg
Stinner American Dream 5.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

How were the hydro rim brakes? This is the first time I've seen a pair here. And you won't have to buy a new groupset, only a pair of calipers/hoses!

rlpaul

by rlpaul

That's paint? It looks anodized! That's very cool.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Klaster1 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:57 pm
How were the hydro rim brakes? This is the first time I've seen a pair here. And you won't have to buy a new groupset, only a pair of calipers/hoses!
They are quite nice actually! The main advantage is of course that you can brake effortlessly using a single finger, just like hydraulic disc brakes. Aside from that they are pretty much the same as any other rim brakes. Haven't gotten the opportunity to try yet but not expecting them to be of any extra help when it comes to braking in the wet…

Unfortunately Sram's retail price on these are pretty crazy and I wouldn't want to pay anywhere near that. I prowled eBay for a good month or two before managing to snag this unused pair for only €205 EUR shipped. While one of the bladders turned out to have a pinhole leak (which the seller claimed to not know about), it was easily fixed with a service kit. Still very much a great deal and yes can be upgraded to disc calipers in the future!

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

rlpaul wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:12 pm
That's paint? It looks anodized! That's very cool.
The painter called it candy type paint. The candy paint itself is translucent and provide the tint. It was applied on top of a silver metallic base coat. Looks very nice in real life.