Ridley Helium X 2017 - Retro Red

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ironingboard

by ironingboard

Hi all,

2 years into my cycling and was looking at upgrading my second hand 2010 Alu Fuji Roubaix 1.0 but really did not want to be yet another TCR owner (great bikes, just wanted something different). I came across the Ridley Helium in Retro Red. It did not take me long to bite the bullet:

Frame: Ridley Helium X 2017 in Retro Red, Size Large.
Teddy: Mr Bean

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ironingboard

by ironingboard

Seatpost: Deda Zero 1
Seat: Fuji Roubaix 2010 stock
Stem: Deda Zero 1
Bar: Deda RHM01 (£2.40 from ebay).
Headset: FSA
Bartape: Deda
Bottle cages: Decathlon
Brakes: 105 5800
Front derailleur: Ultegra R8000
Rear derailleur: Ultegra R8000
Crankset: Ultegra R8000 53/39 175mm
Bottom Bracket: Wheels Manufacturing PF30 to shimano 24mm.
Chain: KMC X11EL
Shifters: Ultegra 6800 (yes they are perfectly compatible)
Cassette: 105 5800 11/32
Wheels: Fulcrum Racing 3
Tires: Continental GP4000SII
Pedals: Shimano R540
Bottles: Lotto Soudal

I stretched the budget to get the frame and wanted to ride it asap. Therefore couldn't blow out on the rest of the build. Currently weighing in at ~7.8kg but with lots of room to diet. (I will try to get a full weight list).

Bonus: In action at Ride London 2018

Last edited by ironingboard on Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Welcome aboard! One of my local riding buddies has the same frame in an XL, and loves it. I think he's using Ultegra Di2, but I'll check the next time I see him. Enjoy it, and enjoy the build!

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

I’ve always loved that frame! Very easy to drop some serious weight on that build too.

flying

by flying

Nicely Done !

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Awesome build - looks like perhaps a zero-setback post would fit better?

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Looks fab! I like the fact you have bought matching Lotto Soudal bidons. I wouldn't worry about the weight ride it hard for a year and then drop weight by getting new wheels. The deda bars and stem match well as does the ultegra.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Looks fantastic. Love these simple paneled schemes. That looks like a pretty big drop you’re running, what is it, out of curiosity?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ironingboard

by ironingboard

Thanks for the opening interest everyone, I appreciate the comments.
Calnago wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:48 pm
Looks fantastic. Love these simple paneled schemes. That looks like a pretty big drop you’re running, what is it, out of curiosity?
Not with my bike currently so don't have an exact measurement at the moment, However I do know that the saddle height is roughly 220mm!

I have had some problems with the saddle height gradually slipping through the ride. This was down to me being overly cautious with the seat clamp bolt while I waited for my torque wrench to be delivered. Since it arrived I have been over the whole bike to make sure all of the bolts are just correct. Also got some carbon paste should seat slipping persist.

ironingboard

by ironingboard

Look away now

As with all things, after not too long and while being cautious, she has taken her first knocks.

1.) I soft pedalled into Green Park after finishing Ride London only for my chain to suck into the chain stay area. It turns out my initial covering with helicopter tape was not enough!

I have added more helicopter tape over the chain stay scar now which appears to be just paintwork but if anyone knows of any products that will prevent the chain physically sucking between the chainstay and the chainrings, let me know (I already have a chain catcher and the bike was pristine at the start of the ride).

2.) Then to further annoy me, I slipped ever so slightly with the torque wrench when changing to some carbon headset spacers.

The second ding on the top tube is harder to remedy given how close it is to the painted Belgian stripes. Sanding this would only end in a mess in an obvious area, so the sticker will suffice for now.

I am a bit gutted about this but it happens to everyone and bikes are still bikes, no matter how shiny or red they are.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

colagreek

by colagreek

Great looking build.