Look 785 XL new build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well I start with the frame weight 931g, with Look seat clamp and inner liners fitted (as it came out of the box) and the fork 281g uncut.

Just has a quick clean of the Super Record 2014 RS groupset parts. Now I have to decide what bars to fit and what seatpost. I could raid the parts bin i.e the shop but Nitto bars are a bit heavy for this bike. Deda Superleggara is what I can think off as I get on with these.

Oh I need to build the wheels too. These are going to be very nice 45mm deep 26mm wide and tubeless with Extralite or Carbon Ti hubs. I have both. Perhaps Extralite this time.

Expected weight will be about 6kg without trying. Should I try harder? I am loth to tune the groupset (not much that can be done anyway) it not like I can buy more super record RS parts and it is a complete groupset that I have somehow not completely ruined. So where to cut weight. The wheels will be tubeless carbon clinchers ( a new rim I might start buying if i like them although I will have to put a few set through destructive testing first) and weight with the extra lite hubs will be 1310g.
Tyres are likely to be IRC formula pro light 25mm. I could save a bit of weight with some hutchinson galatiks TLR and I was going to try them until users on here commented on the non existant wear life.

I suppose I could get hold of more power cordz cables and some light outer. Which like outer though. I was going to try the new Campagnolo EG-FDR700 cableset or whatever its called. The one with the new more flexible cables. First world problems.....6kg is light enough. I am 83 or 84.5kg depending on how full of s*** I am. This morning I lost 1,5kg, so truly full of it.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Lovely frame!! Can't wait to see more

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Lovely looking frame. Would look good with deda bars. Alligator mini i links would be a good outer. Not much to be saved on the groupset.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I already have the groupset recycled from another bike so that was always the obvious choice. I like ashima kevlar casings I might use those but also why not use Campagnolo cables etc as they are the most durable on the market.

The groupset parts need more cleaning and the wheels need the straight pull cx ray blanks in the right length being available first.

poursuivant

by poursuivant

Nice frame! Nice to see some large bikes on the forum.

A word of caution - I am having trouble getting good shifting quality with the Alligator I links at the moment - actually considering changing them out.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Thought about a bonded bar/stem combo and saddle/post setup?

Agreed on it looking great for a full sized human spec frame :)
Using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The frame looks normal but fork is defiantly French. No crown race is required. The bearing just sits on the fork. I suppose that saves weight.

So the oddness on this bike is hidden.

I could send the saddle and bars to berk for bonding. I might do the same with the seat post and saddle or just get one of his. Damm your helping me spend. I don't need help there.

campagowlo

by campagowlo

Mcfk stem with deda superleggera rs bars bonded would look the nuts.

campagowlo

by campagowlo

@poursuivant - might be worth checking each linked is fully clicked in. Once or twice mine unclicked and it impairs shifting noticeably.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

McfK is nice stuff but the u.k distirbutor is not so. I once tried opening an account and there responce is how do we know your a shop.... I distirbute myself and I mange to work it out. It's not hard.

BERK's bar stem combo looks good not sure if I have 750 euro's and they cant take more orders for them at moment.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

bm0p700f wrote:The frame looks normal but fork is defiantly French. No crown race is required. The bearing just sits on the fork. I suppose that saves weight.

So the oddness on this bike is hidden.
Isn’t that how the majority of forks are these days... no separate crown race... it’s molded right into the steertube. Or is this something different again?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Maybe on high end bikes but mostly I don't see those for headset changes. My 795 is the same. In fact headset changes are not a common service thing.

poursuivant

by poursuivant

campagowlo wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:10 pm
@poursuivant - might be worth checking each linked is fully clicked in. Once or twice mine unclicked and it impairs shifting noticeably.
Thanks for the tip!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Bars and seat post are here. Deda superleggara and superleggara.

time poetry

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rexyi1990

by rexyi1990

931g the frame is a little bit heavy, isn't it?