Scale 700 ultimate

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

defride

by defride

Past few years XC has taken a back seat to the road, so much so I hadn't riden offroad since Christmas. When I did dust off the Focus Raven 26r I found a ding on the c/stay had propogated a crack. In addition subsequent inspection showed a crack down the seam of the top tube. Time for a new bike...

Scale 700 Ultimate M (2017)

Being WW and all here's how it weighs in

Frame/Fork components inc axles

8712g

That's stock with the wheels converted to tubeless, no pedals

Shimano 540 pedals @ 350g
Scott Garmin topcap @ + 19g
Bottle cage @39g

9120g ready to ride

Stock wheels with tubes were
F 1603g R 2102g so that's 8856g on the shop floor

Rides nice!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Nice ride, any plans to WW it or just keep it as is?

defride

by defride

Klaster1 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:37 pm
Nice ride, any plans to WW it or just keep it as is?
Cheers.

Not for the time being. Will see how it goes but I'd be thinking to keep it within warranty and go the route of Schmolke/Berk/77 in the future. Saddle's light at a claimed 135g and Scott's weights have been bang on so far, does mean the post is porky. Weighed the pair at 383g which means it's 250g or there abouts, pedals are also heavy so there's plenty of opportunity to drop weight below 9kg easily. Ultimately it'll depend on how much I ride it. Love riding offroad but mostly grab the road bike when I've a couple of hours spare.

Thought long and hard about 29r or 650b. Ultimately decided given I wanted a bike that'd be fun in singletrack and only occasionally might swing for a race the smaller wheels would be more fun. The trails round me aren't extreme however think next purchase may be the Magura dropper. Can ride with buddies on 140-160mm travel when we get away and it gets more extreme but starting to get caught out in rock gardens and drop ins due to the saddle height.

In the meantime having had months out with injury priority is to get fit again!

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

lovely 8)
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

defride

by defride

Henrylips wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:42 pm
Great ride, man! Have any more photos?

Bit of cable tidy required...

Appears the wheels are not or at least no longer a straight pull out of the DT range rebadged. Syncros use there own hub shell with the DT internals inc the ratchet system. This wheelset was tubeless ready, a Syncros branded rim strip covers the rim bed so it's not possible to make out if there are any clues as to who makes the rims for the wheelset. Spokes are DT. They claim 1550g, so far the Scott weights have been suprisingly accurate, seems about right though I didn't weigh the wheels without tires and cassette.

The Scott Garmin topcap sits a little high but keeps the unit nice and secure. Having probs with front brake setup, a little bit of rotor rub from the off, resetting the pistons didn't help and recentering the caliper made things worse. Light was low while working on it and hard to see into the front caliper to see what was going on. Rotor appears straight so it looks like it could be a facing issue. Going to have to wait until I've some time to look at it in daylight.

Surprisingly comfy, I usually favour saddles with a slight dip like Flite's however a couple of hours on this has given no cause for cocern that it'd be uncomfrtable on longer rides. All bolts are tightened to recommeded torque but under load there have been a couple of nasty carbon creaks, fingers crossed.

Chainguide, is it needed? Little bit of rub in the 50t

Did I do the right thing or should I have gone 29r or 29r FS? So hard to say without any experience of the bigger wheel size. One thing I did notice first ride out was that it did seem to roll faster than the 26". One fast skittery descent gave me a PR and 2nd on a Strava segment, going down it did seems faster than it ought given the effort being put in. Hmmm 29r... That said it feels nippy in the singletrack which covers the large majority of trails around here. Overall pretty happy with the choice.