Colnago C40 Mapei

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Bely

by Bely

They don’t make them like they used to....

ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current
Festka Scala | Pego Respo | English V3 | Colnago EPS Erik Zabel | Colnago V4rs

Incoming

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattyNor

by mattyNor

Is that brake bridge rivited to the frame??

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

garjo

by garjo

best paint-scheme ever
My 4,93 kg Supersix Evo HM: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137647&start=30

My 6,22 kg Cannondale R500 1996: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134364

themidge

by themidge

Nice carpet too :thumbup:

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok, that's nice. Make sure that you build it up as vintage!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I’ve never seen a riveted brake bridge like that on a C40. Any info?
Also, that seattube extension above the seat clamp... is that some kind of sleeve or something? Never seen that either.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Wingnut

by Wingnut

mattyNor wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:10 pm
Is that brake bridge rivited to the frame??

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Something I really dislike about Colnago's...for the high end price I would have hoped and expected something better than rivets.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Wingnut, you kind of imply that you’ve seen those rivets before on other Colnagos? I haven’t. What year/models did they ever use those if it’s part of the original bike? It looks like it may have been a repair of some sort. I don’t know. I also have never seen a sleeve protruding above the seat collar, which looks like alloy, not carbon.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Konsta

by Konsta

That ”sleeve” is a seatpost shim. Most likely manufactured by USE in UK.

Cheap and very well made items indeed. https://ultimateuse.com/spares-and-acce ... post-shims

themidge

by themidge

^ Now you say it, it all makes sense :D.
Quite why you would use (hehe!) a shim in a C40 frame I don't know, it takes a 27.2mm post right?

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Calnago wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:56 pm
@Wingnut, you kind of imply that you’ve seen those rivets before on other Colnagos? I haven’t. What year/models did they ever use those if it’s part of the original bike? It looks like it may have been a repair of some sort. I don’t know. I also have never seen a sleeve protruding above the seat collar, which looks like alloy, not carbon.
As Konsta says- USE shim.
As for repair; my 1998-9 C40 had those rivets. Only difference was they were painted.

themidge wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:21 pm
^ Now you say it, it all makes sense :D.
Quite why you would use (hehe!) a shim in a C40 frame I don't know, it takes a 27.2mm post right?
Nope 27.0mm or was it 28.0?

Back on track. Bely another nice one :thumbup:
Official cafe stop tester

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Thanks, so Colnago did produce a C40 with a riveted brake bridge then. I did not know that.
Yes, about the shim... I see that now. Looks to be a nicer quality shim than the ones I’ve seen, which sometimes amount to nothing more than a piece of beer can cut to fit. The nominal size for the seat tube in the C40 was 28.0, at least the ones I’m familiar with. So this shim must take it down to 27.2mm, which was a much more standard size to find.

C36

by C36

Calnago wrote:Thanks, so Colnago did produce a C40 with a riveted brake bridge then. I did not know that.
Yes, about the shim... I see that now. Looks to be a nicer quality shim than the ones I’ve seen, which sometimes amount to nothing more than a piece of beer can cut to fit. The nominal size for the seat tube in the C40 was 28.0, at least the ones I’m familiar with. So this shim must take it down to 27.2mm, which was a much more standard size to find.
http://www.oldbici.it/tag/colnago/
Here Tom Steels bike, not super clear but see the rivets on 2 pictures.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

mrfish

by mrfish

My 1999 C40 has rivets too. I’m guessing they just held the bridge in place while the epoxy dried as it does seem a strange way to fiy

Seatpost is 28mm, originally they did a carbon post with embossed club typically gold, later a sticker under clearcoat.

glepore

by glepore

My MkII doesn't but the bridge looks similar. Wouldn't be surprised if they ground them down and covered with filler for appearance.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com