2003 Klein Q Carbon Race with Campagnolo Record 11s & Bora Ultra 50s

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

swright

by swright

The Boras were just put on this week (in commemoration/compensation for my being about to join the half-century club) and the groupset went on last year; apart from a power meter, I'm done upgrading so it's time to debut my rig...

2003 Klein Q Carbon Race (aluminum fork and frame with carbon fiber seatstays)

Final weight: 7.24 kg/15.94 lbs (including 248g pedals, excluding computer mount & bottle cages)
Klein Boras migliore landscape.JPG

The paint job is called purple haze: it's a polychromatic metallic green flake/metallic purple flake, and appears green or purple (but never both blended together) depending where you and the light are (see pic below).
Klein Boras migliore portrait.JPG
Headset: Cane Creek Internal
Seatpost: Deda Elementi Superlegerro RS
Seat: Fabric ALM Ultimate Shallow
Stem: Deda Elementi Zero 100
Bar: Deda Elementi Zero RHM
Bartape: Deda Elementi "Viola Vescovo" (Bishop Violet)/"Verde Jaguar" (Jaguar Green)
bottle cages: Deda Elementi SR1 (carbon fiber)
Brakes: Campagnolo Record
Front derailleur: Campagnolo Record
Rear derailleur: Campagnolo Record 11s with CeramicSpeed aluminum pulley wheels
Crankset: Campagnolo Record
Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo Record
Chainrings: 52/36
Chain: Campagnolo Record
Shifters: Campagnolo (ErgoPower) Record
Cassette: Campagnolo Record 11-25
Wheelset: Campagnolo Bora Ultra 50 (rim brake/clinchers)
Inntertubes: Silca latex
Tires: Michelin Power Competition 25mm
Pedals: Shimano Ultegra PD-R8000 ("soon" to be replaced by Garmin Vector 3)
Garmin (computer) mount: Rec-Mounts Type 12

The frame, fork and headset are original to the bike -- every other component has been replaced/upgraded. The original build was a mix of Shimano Ultegra/105 9-speed components and a Bontrager wheelset that I think was made of a lead alloy.

The ride is sublime, it climbs like a mountain goat and accelerates like a rocket (subject to the form & fitness of the motor, of course! :wink: ); I will never sell this bike!

cheers,
Scott

p.s. And for the cynics, I do honor to the bike: my average pace is 25 to 35 kph, depending on distance and elevation gain...
2003 Klein Q Carbon Race (aluminum with carbon fiber seatstays) in purple haze, Campagnolo Record 11s groupset, Bora 50 Ultra (rim-brake clincher) wheelset, full Deda Elementi finishing kit, Fabric ALM Ultimate saddle [7.2kg/15.9lbs]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

Very nice !!
What's the mirror for (couldn't help myself :wink: )?

Louis :)

swright

by swright

Hi Louis,

Thanks for the compliment!

I ride on mostly heavily-trafficked roads and always have to be wary and watchful: that's my rear-view mirror to (help) ensure that I'm not side-swiped or otherwise caught unawares by vehicular traffic (and those d**n Tesla's are disconcertingly quiet)! I'm in the U.S., so it's on my left side... :)

It's more effective (and much sleeker) than some (IMHO) helmet-mounted hokiness. :wink: Lots of riders don't even notice it unless I explicitly point it out (and they wonder how I always know just how to match their pace and not let them overtake me by surprise!).

cheers,
Scott
LouisN wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:25 pm
Very nice !!
What's the mirror for (couldn't help myself :wink: )?

Louis :)
2003 Klein Q Carbon Race (aluminum with carbon fiber seatstays) in purple haze, Campagnolo Record 11s groupset, Bora 50 Ultra (rim-brake clincher) wheelset, full Deda Elementi finishing kit, Fabric ALM Ultimate saddle [7.2kg/15.9lbs]