Specialized Tarmac SL4

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Great looking bike... and a smart build with solid components all around. I think the weight looks pretty spot on given the frame and components used. I think that frame is a 9R carbon frame, which isn't known for being low weight and as pointed out earlier in the thread, is definitely heavier than a Smartweld E5 aluminum frame. The components used are all solid, well-performing components designed to last, not super light, weight-weenie parts.

Enjoy it. Great bike and great pics.

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:11 pm
Great looking bike... and a smart build with solid components all around. I think the weight looks pretty spot on given the frame and components used. I think that frame is a 9R carbon frame, which isn't known for being low weight and as pointed out earlier in the thread, is definitely heavier than a Smartweld E5 aluminum frame. The components used are all solid, well-performing components designed to last, not super light, weight-weenie parts.

Enjoy it. Great bike and great pics.

Yeah it's a 9R frame which isn't the lightest but it's good enough.
Plan is run this a couple more years and then get a S-Works Tarmac (once they do a decent colourway).

by Weenie

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

Been a while but here's some updates!

Did a few miles over the winter on it and decided in April that I'd bite the bullet and get a power meter so I could train on my commute. Decided on the Favero Assioma Duo pedals and got them fitted. At the same time I also picked up a pair of Fizik R1 infinito shoes.

Then my Garmin 520 was playing up and only lasting a few hours even after being fully charged, so I pivoted to a Wahoo Bolt:

I then started riding it 4 days a week to work and back, clocking up a load of miles and enjoying 99% of it by which time it was then July, so took part in the BHF ride at Goodwood Circuit:

After that I finally got my payments from work for having two patents granted, so treated myself to the wheels I've always wanted for this bike....Some Roval CL50s. I paired them with S-works Turbo tyres in 26mm again as I've enjoyed using them over the last 2 years.

Also finally managed to get the steerer cut down so it's only got a 5mm spacer on it:

A week later I took part in Revolve 24 again. Once again the bike was faultless and ate up the 192 miles that I clocked up in my 10 hours riding. No aches, pains or discomfort of any sort.

This bike just does everything I ask of it. It's comfortable, fast enough and I honestly just love it.

The only thing I'd change it for is a higher spec SL4 frame as it's a bit on the heavy side still.

So final spec is now:

2017 Tamac SL4 Sport
3T Stylus 25 LTD seatpost
S-works Turbo saddle 155mm
S-works SL Stem 90mm
S-works Aerofly 420mm Handlebars
Custom Revolve 24 2019 Timings Stem Cap
K-edge out front mount + Custom Exposure Trace/Lifeline 600 holder.
Supacaz Galaxy Neon Orange Bar Tape
2 x Specialized gloss black rib cage 2
Ultegra 6800 Groupset (Front & SS Rear Mech and Brakes)
Ultegra 6800 11-28 Cassette
Favero Assioma Duo Pedals
Ultegra 6800 Crankset (172.5mm with 50/34 chainrings)
Roval CL50 Full Carbon Clinchers w/ Mavic Titanium Skewers
Specialized Turbo Inner tubes
S-works Turbo 26c tyres

Final weight: 7.8kg

gurk700

by gurk700

Love your bike! My B-Bike is a blue / white SL4 with 105 group and I love riding it as much as my s-works.

Calnago

by Calnago

Nice writeup. And nice bike. I’d take your bike any day over the newer style.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

rlanger

by rlanger

Calnago wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:06 pm
Me too. The Tarmac up until the SL5 was such a classic. I had the SL5 and loved that bike until I killed it in a 38kph crash.

Your setup is killer Dannnnn. Great looking, and I'm sure it's a great riding bike too.
Last edited by rlanger on Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rlanger

by rlanger

DP

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

rlanger wrote:
Calnago wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:06 pm
Me too. The Tarmac up until the SL5 was such a classic. I had the SL5 and loved that bike until I killed it in a 38kph crash.

Your setup is killer Dannnnn. Great looking, and I'm sure it's a great riding bike too.
Cheers guys.

Yeah this frame shape has so much more character than the newer ones. Also comes in a great colour way which helps too.

I don't think I'll ever sell this. If I get a better SL4/5 then I'd probably turn this into a winter bike or something

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk