2018 Trek Boone - fast gravel set-up

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Nicely put together. I'm not sure about the white stem, but that's just personal preference. I agree on tubeless for road, but for gravel, it's a must!
Madone 9 https://goo.gl/7UwZpV
Crockett https://goo.gl/f5PdCN

Emonda SLR (under construction), Madone 5, Cobia. I own a lot of Treks.

by Weenie

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

wow, so good. I love it :D
2017 Giant TCR Disc
2015 Giant TCX
2016 Cube Stereo 140

erik$

by erik$

Very clean bike! The direct mount chainring looks really good on there.

What is your saddle height and how much adjustment do you have left with that topper? I might get a chance to get one of these myself and still a little uncertain about which topper to go for.

plpete

by plpete

Thanks erik$.

I don't remember of the top of my head but my saddle height is right around 70cm and I went with the short or regular topper. There is a longer version available too. Im on vacation now but can check how much space there is left on the integrted post. There is definitely a minimum insertion marker but even with the short topper I still have enough wiggle room.

erik$

by erik$

Thanks, that probably means I need the long one, since I am sitting on around 74 cm. Enjoy your vacation :D

Huskies91

by Huskies91

Amazing bike. Great job putting it together. I would love to hear how the isospeed decouples work and if they soften the ride at all. Love the handlebar tape. What kind is it?

plpete

by plpete

Thanks @Huskies91. The ISO Speed stuff definitely works! I also have it on my Madone RSL and it definitely makes a difference. The Boone is a stiff bike for sure. The front ISO Speed takes out the bigger bumps but it's by no means any type of suspension. I run about 45-50psi in those tires and like the ride a lot.

The bar tape is from Trek/Bontreger - I dig the look too! https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equi ... hite_black

Really had a blast riding this thing. Have done pretty technical single tracks, some fun less technical and fast trails as well as a stupid rainy fondo with many fast descents. Had 28c Vittoria Control tires for this at like 60ish PSI. Perfection. The gearing is pretty much spot of for most stuff I ride. 42x36 gives me low enough gear I typically need and 42x11 let's me get up to 28-30mph in a fast paceline. Here are a few more shots:

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Superb!
Plasma 10 frameset
Domane
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

spartan

by spartan

nice bike but that zig zag handle bar tape . black/white/grey dsp camo would look better
Current Rides:

2018 Madone SLR DISC DI2 9XXX
2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0 DI2 9150

plpete

by plpete

Thanks gents.

I actually really like the zig-zag and get a lot of compliments. I tried the DSP tapes but didn't really do it for me. Personal choice I guess.

xDOMx

by xDOMx

Solid, clean build. Patterned tape always divides opinion, but all that matters is that you’re into it.

Marin

by Marin

plpete wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:20 pm
deal with the mess
You need a worms plug kit, brilliant stuff. You only need a tube for a huge sidewall cuts then.

Really nice build BTW!

erolorhun

by erolorhun

Very very elegant bike. Been eyeing the Boone for a long time as a consolidated road/groad/pathbike. Yours looks almost spot on. Enjoy it!