Ryan Gets Trendy: Wilier Cento10Air Disc :shock:

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RyanH

by RyanH

...and my experiment with disc is over. It's up on ebay right now. A Romato disc frameset just went for $4K and ebay just offered me 8% back if I list items now, so that'd put me well ahead. After another noise filled ride today, I'm done with disc...not...worth...it...

It's possible H11 runs its pads closer and it's more prone to noise but I've spent more time truing, centering and just generally dicking with disc over the three weeks of owning this that I just want to go out and ride a bike, noise free, even if the braking is slightly diminished.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Get a XR4. Between it and the EVO, I now own the 2 best bikes I’ve ever ridden.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

asiantrick

by asiantrick

well that escalated quickly. Was about to pull a trigger on a disc bike but having 2nd thought about disc now after seeing your comment.

glepore

by glepore

And a brave no reserve auction....
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Nejmann

by Nejmann

RyanH wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:54 pm
...and my experiment with disc is over. It's up on ebay right now. A Romato disc frameset just went for $4K and ebay just offered me 8% back if I list items now, so that'd put me well ahead. After another noise filled ride today, I'm done with disc...not...worth...it...

It's possible H11 runs its pads closer and it's more prone to noise but I've spent more time truing, centering and just generally dicking with disc over the three weeks of owning this that I just want to go out and ride a bike, noise free, even if the braking is slightly diminished.
Haha your the reason I just stopped looking for a aero/disc bike and found my self a new old stock Colnago C59 with caliper brakes and *f##k* BSA BB.

MoPho

by MoPho

Well I'm guessing your issue is with Campy or something because I know at least a dozen people on disc bikes and none are having such issues :noidea:

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

I’m wondering if this could be just a personal tolerance issue. I’m assuming some seemingly small issues that annoy some of us with discs go unnoticed by others.

All of my disc bikes have annoyed the hell out of me and I’m going to hold out until they are further refined. Even the most minor “tinging” takes my attention away from the ride I’m on.

MoPho wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:33 pm
Well I'm guessing your issue is with Campy or something because I know at least a dozen people on disc bikes and none are having such issues :noidea:

dj97223

by dj97223

Welcome back to the non-trendy side. :welcome: :thumbup:
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

shuttlenote

by shuttlenote

Will you be re-acquiring your old T3?

RyanH

by RyanH

Ha, nope, I sold that deliberately so it'd force me to "upgrade." Just ordered a T1sl. They offered to find me the lightest one (I didn't ask), Godzuki is going to be maaaaad. He'll have to settle for second lightest.

themidge

by themidge

RyanH wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:05 pm
Just ordered a T1sl.
Nice, looking forward to it, here's to another 40 page thread.

Presumably it's rim brake? :wink: IIRC you didn't hate the disc version you tried.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

RyanH wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:54 pm

Well, that scalated quickly :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't blame you at all!!

MoPho

by MoPho

SLCBrandon wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:12 pm
I’m wondering if this could be just a personal tolerance issue. I’m assuming some seemingly small issues that annoy some of us with discs go unnoticed by others.

All of my disc bikes have annoyed the hell out of me and I’m going to hold out until they are further refined. Even the most minor “tinging” takes my attention away from the ride I’m on.
Nope, noises drive me crazy, I've turned around and gone home to tear my bike apart after hearing rattles, squeaks, etc.. I'm the guy who carries a small bottle of chain lube to fix other peoples crying chains because it irritates me ( amazing how many people with $5k+ bikes don't lube their chains).
My brakes will occasionally ping a little when out of the saddle, but my rim brakes rubbed too ( I used to carry a brake centering wrench my Sram Red rubbed so often). And as I said earlier, they will rub from expansion for about 10s after a hard braking event, but that goes away. And there has been a couple of occasions where they got contaminated and made some squealing noise so I turned around, went home and fixed it in about 5 min. And squealing is not isolated to disc brakes, I've had rim brakes do it and on almost every group ride there is someone with howling rim brakes. And I have 12k miles on my disc brake bike so far, I won't go back to rim, I think they are much better and everyone I know in person who is on disc has said the same thing.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Having being driven to almost drinking as new sport by Ciamilo brakes not being centered despite 3 millions attempts on every ride, I can relate. I've been fortunate that short of finding my pedals making a clicking sound that required half the bike to be taken apart, I haven't encountered much. I do preventive maintenance often enough that I catch stuff early and other things well before it even makes a noise though.

DOUG

by DOUG

@RyanH have you checked to make sure the pistons are returning all the way? Might be the pistons only need to re-set and the system bled. This is a common issues with disc brakes IME and should only be a 10min fix if thats the case. I always bleed the brakes on any new set up just to make 100% sure its been done correctly from factory (spoiler: it often isn't).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com