Ryan Gets Trendy: Wilier Cento10Air Disc :shock:

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RyanH

by RyanH

I've been perusing the new batch of aero bikes and none of them really spoke to me. I think Trek's Project One program is awesome but the Madone, imo, is only a hair better looking than the Venge Vias. The new Venge looks pretty good but I'm not keen on plopping that kind of money on a black bike that I'll see a dozen of on my Saturday ride. Then I came across the Chromovelato Azzurro...

Should be here by the end of the week.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Wow.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

AZR3

by AZR3

You’ve been too quiet, figured something new was going to pop up soon.....and you’ve picked a looker for sure :thumbup:

romanmoser

by romanmoser

There is the new cCento 10Air Pro now ...
Don't know what has changed except 6% more stiffer :roll: according to them

I had the chance to test the cento10 air disc with ultegra mechanical and DTswiss 1400 48mm clinchers
It had a good ride quality , can't tell about the aero

Is there you stem length handlebar width avalaible with the combo ?

This color and the ramato are ace
Not perfect from close but still better than many more '' bigs '' brands

themidge

by themidge

But you don't like discs...?

RyanH

by RyanH

@themidge
I have a strange fascination with disc that I cannot shake. I've ridden them enough to know that for most intents and purposes, Boras with Super Record brakes are good enough and I'm not going to descend any faster with disc. The big sell for me is twofold: decoupling braking performance from the rim and being able to panic stop in Hollywood Hills. For the latter, I'll be the first to admit that disc shines here. There's a lot of 10-20% grades with stop signs in the middle that I generally just blow through...which is more or less russian roullette because I'm definitely not stopping in time unless I have alloy on that day. For the former point, as many of you are aware, I love wheels...but buying wheels has been a little anxiety ridden these days because I expect my wheels to brake as well as Boras/Mavic, which isn't really the case for most. Now, I can buy whatever I want and know that braking performance will be the same. With all that being said, I was about to pull the trigger on the Direct Mount (rim brake) frameset until this came up and was too good of a price to pass up. So, had they been the same price, I would've gone Direct Mount.

Long story short, I'm viewing my jump to disc as a luxury item, not a necessity. Just a little nicer and convenient braking for my typical weekday rides.

@romanmoser
Eh, no, the Alabarda options are awful. I'll probably have to get the Wilier Stemma, and if I do, I'll get it bonded to an aero bar.

RyanH

by RyanH

So, part of the purchasing decision was to get a top aero frame. I had trouble tracking down real data but finally found the Tour test which put it at 207.3w with 404s. That would mean it's only a few watts slower than the Madone, Venge, etc...

glepore

by glepore

The first gen (cento one air) had flex issues in the chainstays, lateral, not vertical. They fixed it with the 10. Luckily I'm small enough that I don't mind the cento uno that I have. You will certainly feel the benefit downhill and at anything over 22 mph or so.

I think I'd really like to have discs where you live. Here, probably redundant. I'm a bit concerned that with the soon to be proliferaiton of 12 and 13 speed with new freehub standards all of our wheels are going to become slowly obsolete. I'd like to think that's not an industry conspiracy. Who knows. Anyway, having a pile of wheels is what's keeping me off the disc bandwagon for now, as I don't see any technical reason not to.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

RyanH

by RyanH

Anyone know of a rim that is as aero as a Zipp 303 but less than 350g? I'm struggling to come up with a build that will be less than 1200g.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Sweet... I'm probably going to get a BMC TMR01 myself... but frame only is Black :( .. I kinda like the white one.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

jmagoulas

by jmagoulas

RyanH wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:38 pm
Anyone know of a rim that is as aero as a Zipp 303 but less than 350g? I'm struggling to come up with a build that will be less than 1200g.
355 gram though.....

http://www.venn-cycling.com/index.php/r ... wound-rims

KarlC

by KarlC

Very cool, Im looking forward to this build.

Looking at the Tour test you posted this frame scored high in all areas except Comfort so Im looking forward to your review on the crap roads you ride. I ride crap roads also, so some days if feels like Comfort is King.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

RyanH

by RyanH

@jmagoulas

That's their 35mm deep wheel, which can't really compete with the 45mm and greater wheels at yaw angles greater than 2.5*. Most of the sub 40mm wheels seem to suffer from increased drag as yaw angles increase above 0*, with the exception being the Aeolus 3 D3, which seems to perform on par with the Zipp 303.

Zipp 303 to Carbon Ti hubs are probably my best bet although the road sailor wheels may be suitable if they'd sell just the rims.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Why not Bora 50 or Fulcrum 55?

edit: I am sure you entertained that... just wanted to understand your thought process not to consider them...
Last edited by AndreLM on Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I was going to say Aeolus d3... should be ~350g per rim (tubs)... I only see the new XXX on the website now.. looks to be a little over 1300 for D4s. If you can source the rim only then botique hub it.. might be possible to go 1200.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com