New member here!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

monka

by monka

hi guys new member here, long time rider, new weight weenier.

been Riding most of my life, mainly xc living next to the new forest and not being remotely interested in road bikes!!

and may get shot down here, but I seem to have a thing for Carrera's. (they're cheap) however looking around this site is making me want to spend more.

any way, my bikes and projects. (although i think most will be on the heavy side for members on this site)

my main bike, 2011 Carrera Kraken, little bit lighter than stock.

And the reason I am here, my dads old Raleigh Ascender, always loved it, and when he was going to bin it last october i decided to strip down and build it into a sort of hybrid bike, (about 12kg's)

however since i have built that i have the need to build another bike and have an old Carrera Subway frame that i have decided i'm going to try and go light weight with. aiming at about 6-7kg. although trying to do it on as tight a budget as possible.

edit, how do i post pictures, photobucket still not working like it should?

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

monka wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:27 pm
edit, how do i post pictures, photobucket still not working like it should?
You can attach photos directly to posts, this way the images will be protected against thrid party service policy changes or going out of business. We saw that too many times.
monka wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:27 pm
however since i have built that i have the need to build another bike and have an old Carrera Subway frame that i have decided i'm going to try and go light weight with. aiming at about 6-7kg. although trying to do it on as tight a budget as possible.
Looking forward for this, without going rigid/singlespeed I'm not sure if tight budget and such a target weight aren't mutually exclusive. What's the frame weight?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

monka

by monka

It is going to be rigid and 1x9.

Frame currently ways 2118g. Although currently planning on running it raw and toying with the idea of a single front brake so may remove the disc and cable mounts. I know it's not a good idea, but the Raleigh was built with left over parts and consequently never had a front brake, and that's been ok.

And as for budget, it's more of a case of eBay bargain hunting. I got a x7 shifter and x9 derailleur for £20 each, zee crankset for 17, Thomson masterpiece seatpost for 25.

Only bits I seem to be struggling with are finding a decent weight budget wheel set.