My Scott Addict - Detailed spreadsheet of weights attached

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

JScycle

by JScycle

Hey! Thought it was about time I posted up one of my bikes.
Hope you all enjoy it. Feel free to point out some places to lose weight

ImageScreen Shot 2018-07-12 at 4.42.34 pm by Josh S, on Flickr

ImageScreen Shot 2018-07-12 at 4.42.43 pm by Josh S, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7303 by Josh S, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7281 by Josh S, on Flickr

KCookie

by KCookie

There's quite a few parts that could be lighter, just depends on budget.
Cassette, chain, chainring bolts, expander, peddles, bottle cages, saddle, cables and stem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JScycle

by JScycle

KCookie wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:50 am
There's quite a few parts that could be lighter, just depends on budget.
Cassette, chain, chainring bolts, expander, peddles, bottle cages, saddle, cables and stem.
Thanks for your opinion.
Cassette: when I get a set of race wheels I will get a sram red cassette.
Chain: what is significantly lighter? dura-ace is about 20g ligther
Chainring bolts: yeh they seems heavy so im wondering if it was a scale error
Expander: I guess you got cane creek and extralite
Pedals: I would like to stay with Shimano cleats so these can't get any lighter
Bottle cages: think these are lighter than arundel mandibles but are beaten by tune cages and the 4 or 6 gram ones from the company whose name is on the tip of my tongue. I will get better cages eventually as these ones scratch my bottles badly
Saddle: love the shape of this one however I could go for the carbon railed version about 20-30g lighter
Cables: those cable weights are just a random estimate. I probably overestimated. Next time I need new cables I will go with Jagwire Elite link
Stem: how light can they get in 140mm?

KCookie

by KCookie

SRAM cassette is definitely a good choice. Chain KMC Xl, are around 228g for 116 links, Yes Extralite expander. Bottle cages go for Carbonworks, 15g for two. My lightest Berk saddle is 68g, so a good saving there, and Jagwire cables. saved a little to. Stem would be quite expensive but there's MCFK, AX Lightness, THM.
Have you a target weight.

themidge

by themidge

Looks good, but the spreadsheet and pictures don't seem to match: Quarq cranks vs ultegra, am I missing something? :noidea:

JScycle

by JScycle

themidge wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:07 pm
Looks good, but the spreadsheet and pictures don't seem to match: Quarq cranks vs ultegra, am I missing something? :noidea:
Good spotting, forgot to address this in the post :)

The quarq crank was an upgrade and have not taken photos since.
Also changed pedals and other things since. Will get a new photo soon

JScycle

by JScycle

KCookie wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:03 pm
SRAM cassette is definitely a good choice. Chain KMC Xl, are around 228g for 116 links, Yes Extralite expander. Bottle cages go for Carbonworks, 15g for two. My lightest Berk saddle is 68g, so a good saving there, and Jagwire cables. saved a little to. Stem would be quite expensive but there's MCFK, AX Lightness, THM.
Have you a target weight.
Will definitely get a red cassette. Not sure if I can shell out that amount of cash for 20g less. Will look into a different expander and cages sometime. Not interested in changes saddles because this one suits me really well. Definitely going elite link cables. May keep the stem or go for the next level 3T carbn stem.

themidge

by themidge

For a really light chain look at the PYC sp1101 (or something to that effect) on ebay, cheaper and similar weight to KMC.

JScycle

by JScycle

themidge wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:08 pm
For a really light chain look at the PYC sp1101 (or something to that effect) on ebay, cheaper and similar weight to KMC.
Thanks, what is the durability like?

themidge

by themidge

I've no idea, but it's steel so it can't be much different to everything else.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Sharp Scott! Love me some Addict (though I’m quite biased).

Even with that honker of a stem! :lol:

I’ll second KCookie’s recommendation for a Berk saddle - assuming the shape fits your needs. I’m on my second season with an unpadded Lupina and can honestly say it’s every bit (and maybe better) as good as my former Selle San Marco Superleggera and Aspide carbon saddles.

I’ll also second KC’s recommendation for a KMC SL chain and Red cassette. They’re both excellent, relatively long-wearing items. After many years running them, I’ve got no worries about durability.

If you’re not a gorilla, the carbonworks cages will also be a good choice. Treat them with care and they’ll last you. Another solid recommendation.

If the budget allows, look into a set of EE brakes. They will slice off big time weight without sacrificing function. They’re now owned by Cane Creek. They’re almost, almost mainstream brakes in my opinion.

It won’t be cheap, but a MCFK seat post will save you a ~50g chunk.

JScycle

by JScycle

Johnny Rad wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:45 am

Even with that honker of a stem! :lol:
Yeh it makes my back much straighter and the FSA bars due have relatively short reach and are 38cm at the drops 35cm at the hoods
Johnny Rad wrote:
I’ll second KCookie’s recommendation for a Berk saddle - assuming the shape fits your needs. I’m on my second season with an unpadded Lupina and can honestly say it’s every bit (and maybe better) as good as my former Selle San Marco Superleggera and Aspide carbon saddles.
I'll keep the saddle in mind but pretty hesitant to change from the pro stealth because I love it
Johnny Rad wrote:
I’ll also second KC’s recommendation for a KMC SL chain and Red cassette. They’re both excellent, relatively long-wearing items. After many years running them, I’ve got no worries about durability.
How many km's would you say you get out of the cassette and chain?
When I get my race wheels I will probably get a race chain and the red cassette.
Johnny Rad wrote:
If you’re not a gorilla, the carbonworks cages will also be a good choice. Treat them with care and they’ll last you. Another solid recommendation.
Do they tend to scratch bottles? My current cages do
Johnny Rad wrote:
If the budget allows, look into a set of EE brakes. They will slice off big time weight without sacrificing function. They’re now owned by Cane Creek. They’re almost, almost mainstream brakes in my opinion.
They look amazing but yeh maybe in the future

reedplayer

by reedplayer

i would not change the saddle for weight purpose. "pro" seems to fit you perfect, you repeated and underlined that several times, so i`d keep it.

JScycle

by JScycle

reedplayer wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:12 am
i would not change the saddle for weight purpose. "pro" seems to fit you perfect, you repeated and underlined that several times, so i`d keep it.
Thanks for your opinions. Race wheels seem to be the next step. Will probably be about 50mm and will put my vittoria corsa's on them with a Sram Red 11-28 cassette

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

swright

by swright

@JScycle,

Are those spreadsheet weights the manufacturer's claimed weights or did you scale everything yourself? I ask because I ofen find some discrepencies in claimed and actuals. Admittedly, it's never huge numbers of grams, but as WeightWeenies, I figure we should strive for accuracy and integrity... :D

It would be really interesting if your spreadsheet had both weights -- then we could see how honest and/or conservative the component manufacturers are!

cheers,
Scott
2003 Klein Q Carbon Race (aluminum with carbon fiber seatstays) in purple haze, Campagnolo Record 11s groupset, Bora 50 Ultra (rim-brake clincher) wheelset, full Deda Elementi finishing kit, Fabric ALM Ultimate saddle [7.2kg/15.9lbs]