Colnago C64 Disc

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jmagoulas

by jmagoulas

My guess is the frame you have coming is EPS/Di2 only. Or etap?

Evenflow

by Evenflow

I heard back from Ciccli Mattio overnight and it does appear that I have an EPS specific C64 disk frame set however the grommet in down tube is clearly for two derailluer cables so they are working with Colnago to get the correct grommet for me. Colnago also offered to cover the cost of an authorized dealer local to me using a dremel to add the grommet to the head tube lug...seems a little scary to me but they said it is perfectly ok to do and they will send me that grommet as well in case I want that option. To be honest with the deal I got on the frame set I may just use this as an " excuse" to go with EPS. On a side note CM offerred me a store credit for the trouble as well, between the discounted price of the frameset and the customer service & credit offer I must say I am impressed with their customer service... just takes a bit to get replies via e-mail from them.

So, it appears that there are 3 C64 disc versions from late 2017 production to the new 2019's. For clarification the 2019 is the only one that uses the new C/D shaped steer tube that is compatible with that new integrated stem/bar combo with internal cable/hose routing through the stem - steer tube - down tube.

BTW - @Seedster My apologies for " thread jacking " , being new to the forum I did not realize this was a personal build thread I thought it was a thread for all things C64 disk.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rexyi1990

by rexyi1990

Seedster wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:07 am
Interesting. Did you get the frameset for an authorized dealer?

Perhaps they’ve made some subtle changes since the launch stock. Are there entry points on the drive side? They have to enter somewhere.

For reference, here is another C64 disc frame with entry point on the non-drive side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the color of this frame draw me crazy....

Seedster

by Seedster

Evenflow wrote:I heard back from Ciccli Mattio overnight and it does appear that I have an EPS specific C64 disk frame set however the grommet in down tube is clearly for two derailluer cables so they are working with Colnago to get the correct grommet for me. Colnago also offered to cover the cost of an authorized dealer local to me using a dremel to add the grommet to the head tube lug...seems a little scary to me but they said it is perfectly ok to do and they will send me that grommet as well in case I want that option. To be honest with the deal I got on the frame set I may just use this as an " excuse" to go with EPS. On a side note CM offerred me a store credit for the trouble as well, between the discounted price of the frameset and the customer service & credit offer I must say I am impressed with their customer service... just takes a bit to get replies via e-mail from them.

So, it appears that there are 3 C64 disc versions from late 2017 production to the new 2019's. For clarification the 2019 is the only one that uses the new C/D shaped steer tube that is compatible with that new integrated stem/bar combo with internal cable/hose routing through the stem - steer tube - down tube.

BTW - @Seedster My apologies for " thread jacking " , being new to the forum I did not realize this was a personal build thread I thought it was a thread for all things C64 disk.

Thanks for sharing your experience. There is no need to apologize. Your dilemma was likely more interesting than a fairly standard C64 build!

When I purchased my disc frameset, I was told I would have to wait if I wanted an internally routed version. I had no idea there were a total of three different disc iterations. Sounds like a nightmare.

When you say it was an “EPS specific” c64, do you really mean eTap? sRAM is a wireless shifting group set that would only require the hydraulic cable for rear disc to run through the frame. A campagnolo EPS specific frameset would benefit from cables running through the head lug as pictured below.

Evenflow

by Evenflow

What they are telling me is that the frameset is electronic group specific ( any brand ) so the intention is that only the rear brake hose and the electronic wire would need to enter the down tube via the grommet on top of the down tube which is what is shown in the photo of the white C64 I posted. In that photo you can see that they routed the E wire and the rear brake hose around the left side of the head tube and then into the down tube via the grommet on top of the downtube. The grommet that I have in my down tube is for two derailluer cables but they told me I can simply remove the grommet and drill out one of the two plastic holes in the grommet large enough for the rear brake hose to pass through. So, my options are :

1. If I want to run a mechanical group - have a local Colnago dealer dremel the hole onto the head tube lug to insert the grommet for the rear brake hose like your frame and then use the grommet on top of the down tube for both derailluer cables.

2. If I want to run an electronic group I have two options - either drill out the grommet as mentioned above or they can send me a grommet.

So, my options are open either way...it's just a bit scary to let someone take a dremel to my frame to add that hole in the head tube lug :/

Seedster

by Seedster

Thank you for takign the time to explain this in detail. I guess I have a dual purpose frame that permits either electronic or mechanical. Despite running an electronic only, I prefer to not use the grommet on the down tube and run the cables through the head tube. What did you elect to do?

Evenflow

by Evenflow

I’m still undecided... waiting for some friends to get home from Interbike next week and I am going to go check out my options with Campy groups. Price will honestly probably dictate my final decision but I was thinking Record disc group with Bora One 50’s.

scb

by scb

Is the C64 disc E-version, all internal routings, backwards compatible with Campy 12 speed mechanical? If so, then I thinking about it putting on C64 when it arrives before year end and then switching it out for SR EPS v4 when is hopefully arrives early next year. I could either sell or put the mechanical on another bike.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Lovely bike Speedster! I too sold my XR4, finished building up a Protos and a C60. The XR4 was a great bike, but there was something about it that just didn't quite do it for me. Great performance but something missing. I think the countervail made the ride a touch too lifeless. Now that I've had a chance to accrue some kms on the Protos... my my... what a weapon! Its a pure racers bike. It doesn't give you much if you cruise around, but if you put the power down its like a Jet taking off. Love it. The colnago, on the other hand is something else. Its so sedate. It rides like a lot of endurance bikes to be honest. It has no snap whatsoever - feels the same if you're churning 400w as cruising at 180w. It just floats along. Its not a bike for those chasing a punchy rig. From what you describe, it seems as though the C64 is the same?
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

Seedster

by Seedster

Thank you for the kind words Zappa. You have a ton of experience on some amazing bikes. I felt the same way about the XR4. It did everything really well and looked great, but it left me feeling indifferent. The Protos is a purpose-built race machine with no compromise for comfort. It's a lovely machine that I would ride for shorter rides.

As for the C64, it is my first Colnago. I purchased because I sought something more tame than the Protos. The reputation for the "magic carpet ride" and predictable handling is correct. It is plenty stuff but I would not call it punchy. You certainly get more feedback than the XR4, but it is not as aggressive as the Protos. I am happy with my decision, but from what i heard it's not a significant departure from the C60. I just wish Ernesto would hurry up with the updated disc model with internal cable routing for a clean cockpit.

Seedster

by Seedster

New wheels

cchesebro

by cchesebro

Hot damn. That thing is absolutely fire! Next time I'm in NYC I'll have to keep an eye out for you.

welchy

by welchy

Super nice ride, wish I could afford a C64 - what size tyres are you running now? 25 or 28? Not sure if it's changed from the original build thread.

Seedster

by Seedster

Thanks for the kind words. The brand and type of tires changed from Dugast tubulars to Vittoria clinchers. They remain 28s despite moving to the Meilenstein. Replacement frame with internal cable routing arrived. Will take pics of the bare frame before the build starts

Seedster

by Seedster

New internally routed frame arrived last week and boasts the new font. Still need to weigh it, but the fork feels heavier. The included stem is “sturdy” and clean but porky.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com