S-Works Tarmac SL6

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

dshiels

by dshiels

Hi Everyone,

Long terms lurker, first time poster.

After deliberating for about a year on whether to buy a "Sunday best" bike, I eventually took the plunge a few weeks ago and finished the S-Works build last night. I couldn't decide between a Colnago C60 and the S-Works SL6 but when I managed to source the Sagan Superstar frameset after I thought I couldn't get one, the decision was made. I will however own a Colnago someday!

The build deserves Dura-Ace, but I had to make some financial compromises, so opted for Ultegra Di2 (R8050).

I haven't ridden it yet so I need to remove a few spacers and cut the steerer once I get the fit sorted and I will update the photos once this has been done.

Full build list as follows:

S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar Frameset 56cm
Ultegra DI2 R8050 with bar end junction box and EW-WU111 wireless unit
Ultegra R8000 direct mount brakes
Ultegra R8000 52-36 crankset
Ultegra R8000 11-30 cassette
Roval CLX50 OR Mavic R-SYS SLR for hillier terrain
Continental GP4000s 25mm tyres
S-Works SL 100mm stem
S-Works Aerofly 42mm bars
Specialized Power Pro 155mm Saddle
Lizard Skins 2.5mm DSP bar tape
Garmin Out Front Mount
Elite Custom Race Stealth Bottle Cages
Look KEO 2 Max Blade Road Pedals

The weight is 7.04kg with the SLR's or 7.20kg with the Rovals which is generally what I was expecting and my decisions were based on financial consideration rather than weight. If/when I can afford it, I would like to replace the groupset for Dura-Ace with perhaps the S-Works crankset and move the Ultegra onto another bike. If there any immediate things I can do to drop some weight then all advise is welcome.

This bike will probably remain as my Sunday best for the immediate future and my other bikes (all reasonably standard builds) are:

Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi-Mod (race bike)

Cannondale Caad12 Ultegra (training bike)

Whyte Wessex (winter bike)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Nice first post, especially with the inclusion of your other bikes. Welcome!
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dshiels

by dshiels

Calnago wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:08 pm
Nice first post, especially with the inclusion of your other bikes. Welcome!
Thanks Calnago. Quite the stable you have! I spent a long time reading your threads whenever I was swaying towards to the C60.

dshiels

by dshiels

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:53 pm
Great first post and great bikes, all around.
Cheers.

First ride last night and I have to say, it was awesome. Just a bit of noise from the gears to sort out and the rattle for the tube values. Is there any neater solutions than wrapping them in tape?

howler

by howler

A great 1st post indeed! Love that PS paint job and a solid pragmatic build.

Curious about the handeling difference between your 'dales vs the new sworks- been told sharper/more responsive/twitchier. First impresions?

dshiels

by dshiels

howler wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:08 pm
A great 1st post indeed! Love that PS paint job and a solid pragmatic build.

Curious about the handeling difference between your 'dales vs the new sworks- been told sharper/more responsive/twitchier. First impresions?
Thanks!

I love my Evo HM but initial impressions are that the S-Works just does everything better. It accelerates better and holds speed better (probably a lot do with the wheels) and out of the saddle sprints were much more responsive. I've always found the Evo quite twitchy, especially on fast twisty decents but the S-Works just felt much more planted and I had a lot more confidence in the bike.

The biggest surprise was the comfort. I found the Evo transmitted quite a lot of road buzz (we have terrible roads in Ireland) which is fatiguing, however the S-Works just seemed to damp it better and I wasn't sore or stiff like I usually am with I get off the evo. I have a longer run planned for the weekend (130+ miler) so I will be able to comment better then

happyon2wheels

by happyon2wheels

Congratulations on your new build. What a great looking bike. Oh, and quite an impressive lineup of other bikes as well :D

On the Tarmac I am actually a bit surprised about the weight :shock: . Not fat in any way, but I'd still have expected it to come up lighter. Just out of curiosity, what is the weight of the frame and fork?

dshiels

by dshiels

happyon2wheels wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:06 am
Congratulations on your new build. What a great looking bike. Oh, and quite an impressive lineup of other bikes as well :D

On the Tarmac I am actually a bit surprised about the weight :shock: . Not fat in any way, but I'd still have expected it to come up lighter. Just out of curiosity, what is the weight of the frame and fork?
Unfortunately they weren't weighed before it was built up by the shop. However in reading other similar builds if anything it is a bit lighter than I expected, especially with using Ultegra instead of Dura-Ace. I believe the real world weights of the frame/forks is a bit above Specialized's advertised weights and the Sagan paintwork also adds a bit.

HaroldC

by HaroldC

Congrats on the frame! Bike looks great, especially with the Rovals. I’m kinda partial to the paint choice myself. ;)

LeMomo

by LeMomo

It might add a little weight, but that Sagan paintwork is so worth it!

dshiels

by dshiels

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Managed to get a long run on it on Saturday and am still delighted with both the bike and the wheelset. I enjoying climbing and was worried the Rovals would be an issue on the steeper climbs but managed a series of PB's. They did "feel" a little heavier when climbing compared to the SLR's, however the clock said different.

dshiels

by dshiels

HaroldC wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:10 am
Congrats on the frame! Bike looks great, especially with the Rovals. I’m kinda partial to the paint choice myself. ;)
Thanks Harold, it was your build that convinced me on the frame and colour. I've had your photos saved on my phone as they capture the colours so well and are really well taken photos

HaroldC

by HaroldC

dshiels wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:45 pm
HaroldC wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:10 am
Thanks Harold, it was your build that convinced me on the frame and colour. I've had your photos saved on my phone as they capture the colours so well and are really well taken photos
Ha! Glad I convinced you to get the frame! I am amazed every time I take the bike out in the sun.

I actually sold my Zipp NSW wheels for CLX 50s and love them! They’re lighter, wider and stiffer than the NSWs. I’m running the S Works Turbo in a 26 and they measure almost 30mm wide and fit with plenty of room in the frame. I actually retook a KOM on the CLXs, they’re fast!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

reedplayer

by reedplayer

what irritates me a little bit: saddle position is different on each of your bikes! is this intentionally?
regards,