Argon18 Krypton XRoad Disc

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jelledb

by jelledb

Hi weightweenies

I have allready been member for a while, but first post here. I'd like to show you my new build. I'm racing the elite category in Belgium, so I'm not officially allowed to use disc on road races. However I commute nearly everyday and in the busy urban areas stopping with my "old" canti commuter bike is a real nightmare. So I started looking for something new. I found an awesome deal on an Argon18 Krypton frame which I really liked. It's an hybrid road/gravel Do-it-all frameset, but personally I find it rather "road-ish". The geometry is nearly the same as my Wilier GTR road bike. Since it's a bike which will be used for both commuting and long training rides I really had to make a well-thougt tradeoff between light weight and durability. So I came up with the following spec-sheet

In "shine modus"
In "commuter modus"

Total weight: TODO, weigh the "shine modus" setup of the bike with the aliexpress bike/luggage scale! (guessing a 8.3 or something) or 9.5kg (in commuter modus, weighed with a person's scale)

Frame: Argon18 Krypton XRoad frameset
Seatpost: Argon18 carbon seatpost
Wheels: Prime RP-38 tubeless disc (1520g without skewers) or Shimano RX10 (2159g, weighs as stones, for commuting)
Tires: Schwalbe Pro One 28mm (tubeless, 45ml of sealant) or Continental Ultra2 (25mm, commuting)
Shifters and brake callipers: Shimano ST-R785 + BR-R785
Derailleur front: Shimano Ultegra DI2 FD 6870
Derailleur rear: Shimano Ultegra DI2 RD 6870
Battery: BT DN110-1
Junctions : SM-JC41 & EW-RS910
Crankset: FSA Powerbox Alloy (50-34), also rather heavy, but I do find having a reliable power meter really important :)
Bottom bracket: FSA BB86 386, frame has a BB86 pressfit system (so it is in fact made for 24mm Shimano, this FSA version has scaringly narrow bearings to accomodate 30mm powerbox axle
Rotors: Shimano SM-RT91 140mm
Chain: Sram PC-1130
Cassette: Sram PG-1130 (11-28), don't ask me why, this has been my favorite cassette for a while now
Saddle: Pro Stealth 142mm, first time on this saddle
Handlebars: Pro Vibe Alloy Compact (40cm), oh boy this one caused me a a sleepless night, since it wasn't di2 compatible the way I thought it was :lol: . I ended drilling 2 extra holes near the shifters to route the wires through
Stem: Deda Zero 1 (120mm), also drilled the stem to make the di2 wire game on-poit
E-tube wires: 150mm (FD-JC41), 650mm (RD-JC41), Shimano EW-JC130 splitter for the shifters to the EW-RS910, 1400mm (EW-RS910 to JC-41) SHIF, 550mm (BAT-JC41)
Pedals: Speedplay CroMoly (longer rides) or Shimano SPD M-520 (commuting)
Bottle cages: M84U carbon
Bar tape: BBB FlexRibbon
Wahoo Mount: Hide My Bell - these things are the best invention since electricity or something :D

As said the Di2 internal cable handlebar routing looks nice but was a real nightmare. I first tried to solve it without drilling extra holes with taping them to the bars. But by doing so 1 wire ran over from the left to the right bar and it realy looked weird. I'm pretty confident that the drilling will not cause too major issues strengthwise. The stem is no problem, this is often done in cyclocross to better route the front brake cable.
Attachments
IMG_0102.jpg
IMG_0098.jpg
IMG_0103.jpg
Last edited by jelledb on Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

That's a lovely looking bike. Surprisingly heavy though. Look forward to seeing your progress
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jelledb

by jelledb

onemanpeloton wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:22 pm
That's a lovely looking bike. Surprisingly heavy though. Look forward to seeing your progress
Yeah, I was also a bit disappointed when I saw the reading :cry: . But on the other side I weighed it with a person's scale, so it isn't super duper accurate and the scales are overreading (I hope so :P ) my own weight. In the spreadsheet which I made before the actual purchase of the components total final weight was around 8.9kg. I should buy a dedicated scale to weigh bike components if I want to become a real weight weenie :wink: .

I did my first test ride yesterday and boy those wheels feel really sluggish, it's like bringing a truck up to speed :| . On the flip side it is proper training by doing so 8)

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

jelledb wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:32 pm
onemanpeloton wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:22 pm
Yeah, I was also a bit disappointed when I saw the reading :cry: . But on the other side I weighed it with a person's scale, so it isn't super duper accurate and the scales are overreading (I hope so :P ) my own weight. In the spreadsheet which I made before the actual purchase of the components total final weight was around 8.9kg. I should buy a dedicated scale to weigh bike components if I want to become a real weight weenie :wink: .

I did my first test ride yesterday and boy those wheels feel really sluggish, it's like bringing a truck up to speed :| . On the flip side it is proper training by doing so 8)
I have a similar issue with my giant TCR disc. Weighs 8.9kg stock with pedals which was disappointing. It is also sluggish to accelerate, yet people rave about the frame and its stiffness and climbing ability. I hope that changing out the stock wheels shows me more of these characteristics!
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

jelledb

by jelledb

Et voila! The planned upgrades are done. I wasn't happy with how the bike handled and wanted to make the mods as soon as possible. And I must say!!! I'm super happy I did the wheel change. The bike feels a lot more responsive when accelerating. The previously mentioned "sluggishness" is entirely gone. And the weight savings turned out to be quite huge. I included weighing comparison pictures of both rear and front wheel. To summarize, the following changes were done:
  • Bottle cage: Bought another M84U bottle cage, they're super light and they hold my bottles in place reasonably
  • Pedal swap: From SPD M520 to Speedplay's is quite a considerable weight saving, and I only like SPD's for MTB and CX
  • Wheelset: From Shimano RX-10, a.k.a. heavy weights to Prime RP-38 discs, expected a weight saving, but didn't expected it to be around 1kg :D
Front wheel weight comparison (same rotors)

Rear wheel weight comparison (same cassette and rotors)

Oh yeah!! The white marks on the scale aren't drugs :lol: . I just love home made vanilla pudding :mrgreen: .

And ... admire the endresult 8)

Lastly ... My aliexpress bike/luggage weighing device is on its weight so I will post a final weighing picture as soon it arrives. My guess however is a weight in the lower 8's I think. Quite happy with final result.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Hi

Looking good, decent weight loss with the upgrades, well done!

Keen to hear what you think of the Prime wheels once you've had a chance to ride them a bit.

Also, are the Prime decals removeable?

velov

by velov

Great lines on the Krypton.
I need to figure out how to remove decals on my set of Prime 38s as well.

penum

by penum

Looks great! Does it have fender mounts for commuting?

jelledb

by jelledb

Sorry for the somewhat later replies. Been training hard abroad for the last 2 weeks :) .
Gearjunkie wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:47 pm
Hi

Keen to hear what you think of the Prime wheels once you've had a chance to ride them a bit.

The decals are not removable, I think they're under a layer of matte finish so it would be a very challenging job to remove them I guess :D . However I picked this set of wheels for their attracting price point and the fact that I find the decals rather stealthy and do not disturb the sober look of my bike. They ride absolutely awesome. They accelerate way better than RX-010 heavy weights. I also did some harder gravel sections and the wheels (and tyres) hold up exceptionally well under rough cicrumstances.
penum wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:44 am
I don't know if it are fender mounts but they're srew holes everywhere around front fork and rear seat stays. I can only think of them as a type of fender mounts? Perhaps somebody has experience with those type of screw holes ?

And ... the final weight is in. The weight with my aliexpress Luggage, bike, everything ;) scale shows 8.435kg . That's not super duper weightweenie, but getting it down more would absolutely break the bank :) . However I can definitely live with this weight considering how lovely it handles in long Alpes descents last training camp :)

chutneyyy

by chutneyyy

jelledb wrote: Sorry for the somewhat later replies. Been training hard abroad for the last 2 weeks :) .
Gearjunkie wrote:
Hi

The decals are not removable, I think they're under a layer of matte finish so it would be a very challenging job to remove them I guess :D . However I picked this set of wheels for their attracting price point and the fact that I find the decals rather stealthy and do not disturb the sober look of my bike. They ride absolutely awesome. They accelerate way better than RX-010 heavy weights. I also did some harder gravel sections and the wheels (and tyres) hold up exceptionally well under rough cicrumstances.
penum wrote:
I don't know if it are fender mounts but they're srew holes everywhere around front fork and rear seat stays. I can only think of them as a type of fender mounts? Perhaps somebody has experience with those type of screw holes ?

And ... the final weight is in. The weight with my aliexpress Luggage, bike, everything ;) scale shows 8.435kg . That's not super duper weightweenie, but getting it down more would absolutely break the bank :) . However I can definitely live with this weight considering how lovely it handles in long Alpes descents last training camp :)
Hi jelledb,

I also got this frame on order and its currently shipping to me,
Im looking for some disc brake wheels but i noticed the standard are confusing (sorry i have no idea about disc brake bikes yet as i been riding rim all my life),
seeing the frame pictures it seems it is a quick release rather than thru-axle, so in this case does it mean the wheels i need to get will need a 135mm rear? and what about the front, is it 9mm 12mm or 15mm?
And can the frame naturally take 160mm disc rotor? or its just 140mm?

Thanks for the insight in advance

jelledb

by jelledb

chutneyyy wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:37 am
jelledb wrote: Sorry for the somewhat later replies. Been training hard abroad for the last 2 weeks :) .
Gearjunkie wrote:
Hi

penum wrote:

Hi jelledb,

Im looking for some disc brake wheels but i noticed the standard are confusing (sorry i have no idea about disc brake bikes yet as i been riding rim all my life),
seeing the frame pictures it seems it is a quick release rather than thru-axle, so in this case does it mean the wheels i need to get will need a 135mm rear? and what about the front, is it 9mm 12mm or 15mm?

Hi, I think my frame is a 2016 (or a bit later) model. I found it relatively cheap online and pulled the trigger. As my "main discipline" is CX-racing in the Belgian winter I'm quite familiar with discs and all of the standards out there. My frame are just traditional QRs. For disc QR, the rear dropout spacing is 135mm (instead of 130mm for rim brakes, think this is to accomodate callipers and discs). The frame has postmount mounting for calipers (also a slightly older standard) but they accomodate 140mm rotors. You could also go up a size (160mm) but than you'll have to install some kind of adapter (http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/si/SI-8170A-001-ENG.pdf).
Personally I think Thru-axles facilitate the rotor alignment a bit, with the standard QRs wheel swaps are still quite fast but the discs tend to rub a bit more.

Hope this clarifies a bit more your questions around the frame (I know from experience that all these standards can be daunting :) )

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chutneyyy

by chutneyyy

jelledb wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:39 am
chutneyyy wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:37 am
Gearjunkie wrote:
Hi

penum wrote:

Hi jelledb,

Hi, I think my frame is a 2016 (or a bit later) model. I found it relatively cheap online and pulled the trigger. As my "main discipline" is CX-racing in the Belgian winter I'm quite familiar with discs and all of the standards out there. My frame are just traditional QRs. For disc QR, the rear dropout spacing is 135mm (instead of 130mm for rim brakes, think this is to accomodate callipers and discs). The frame has postmount mounting for calipers (also a slightly older standard) but they accomodate 140mm rotors. You could also go up a size (160mm) but than you'll have to install some kind of adapter (http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/si/SI-8170A-001-ENG.pdf).
Personally I think Thru-axles facilitate the rotor alignment a bit, with the standard QRs wheel swaps are still quite fast but the discs tend to rub a bit more.

Hope this clarifies a bit more your questions around the frame (I know from experience that all these standards can be daunting :) )
Thanks! This really helps a lot, i will just stick to 140mm rotor for now.
i can't wait for the frame to arrive and i will show you my build, it will take a while though
I was kind of hoping i can keep the weight down below 8kg but it seems it wouldn't happen since my wheels are already heavier than the Prime wheels you have there