Mosaic RT-1

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

rheosibal

by rheosibal

Current Build Here

TL;DR - Just another bike. I have problem.

I've primarily been on my Cannondale Evo and had decided that was my grail bike. Easily determined based on the lack of miles/hours on other frames. Ivan Basso's Liquigas Super Six was the first bike I've lusted over, which had me clawing back to the frameset one way or another.

Anyways, most can relate... "new bike days" are impromptu; spurred with the lack of self control. We spend an absurd amount of time scrolling on the internet: Reading about components or frame materials that you have yet to try - following with hopes of scoring a deal on something cool, before another internet nerd does. Then, the justification process begins: you figure out how much is in your bike fund; how many hours of it'll take to pay it off; or what you need to sell to break even. That's what most do (or what I keep telling myself).

So yeah same cycle as you. You think you're done. After spending countless hours building, fine tuning, and finally enjoying this cool new toy. Then the next cool trend rolls around, and the bike that was perfected becomes boring. Damnit.

The current road trend: Alloy

I've experienced aluminum (CAAD 10) for some time, and briefly assembled an older Bridgestone 700. So I figured, no point in another road bike since I was experimenting with another trend (dirt). Then....Adam told me he was selling his Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel. THE ONE ON THE RADAVIST. I just had to try it. IT LOOKED SO COOL (particularly the paint job). Since Adam and I have relatively the same dimensions, I figured why not.

I liked it, but couldn't love it. Ultimately, I wanted it to be a comfortable cruiser, since I assumed that's what the hype was all about. I still had the Evo and found minor differences between the two. Maybe the agressiveness outweighed the comfort level I had expected. Who knows, I have a list of excuses. It eventually ended up with Ryan (who lacked self control at the moment :lol: ) and opined the same, justifying some of my excuses. Maybe.

But now I'm curious. Metal is the new black. Steel bikes popping up everywhere. Ryan's Litespeed blowing up this forum. The list goes on. I need to be cool.

Then eBay sends me a notification. A pre-owned Mosaic RT-1 being sold by proscloset. First thing that popped up in my head: Palicci's RT-1d built by Above Category for BWR. One of my favorite builds (albeit disc...) to date.

Initially held myself back, knowing it was a bit out of my price range. Fast forward a few weeks of thinking of how I'd replicate that build, I find out that proscloset have moved the frameset into their online store. I'm guessing with some bikes/framesets, they offer it on eBay first. If no luck, they'll post it on their online store, absent of additional eBay fees. PERFECT EXCUSE TO BUY IT, RIGHT!

Frame Weight: 1324g
Last edited by rheosibal on Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Instagram: joserheo

|| Mosaic RT-1 || Cannondale Evo || Cannondale CAAD10 ||

RyanH

by RyanH

Geo? Just so I know for when you sell it ;-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Nice find. Welcome to the metallic club.

Now that I’m riding a metallic bike I’ve stopped looking at all the new carbon bikes that seem to be popping up every week. When you own a carbon bike you always find good reasons to upgrade. When you own a metallic bike the urge to upgrade is absent. If it rides well then why change. You don’t buy a metallic bike because it saves you x watts and y grams.

Can’t wait to see the build process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

romanmoser

by romanmoser

The urge to upgrade the frame , well if you find The one like Ryan I would say not for ss/titanium

But you can always upgrade what's around the frame right :mrgreen:

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

im just here so i wont get fined

CAMSHAFT

by CAMSHAFT

Its going to be great!!

RyanH

by RyanH

dudemanppl wrote:im just here so i wont get fined
Too late I guess

muffinman

by muffinman

oh word

rheosibal

by rheosibal

RyanH wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:55 am
Geo? Just so I know for when you sell it ;-)
LOL I hope this one's a keeper. If it's not, you'll know it'll end up with you for the sake of science.

Here's where things with geometry get interesting. We fit on a bike on an X/Y plane = stack, reach, drop, appropriate STA/HTA, etc. We throw these measurements on every frameset in order to maintain uniformity. As a result, we're able to distinguish specific characteristics of each frameset, construct a hypothesis, and move on.

I wanted the IF Crown Jewel to be comfortable cruiser. All variables were similar which resulted with a heavier Evo that was slightly more comfortable. It wasn't bad, yet they were so similar, I found no justification in having both. Might as well throw 28s on the Evo and you have the same 2 bikes.

I rode the CJ and the Evo back to back on the same roads and the same routes (for science lol) and got an idea of what I didn't like. I believed that it was because of the CJ's geo, or just my overall fit. My fit was particularly agressive at the time (imo), and maybe it was time to change things up. I have been riding my IF Planet X for some time, wher I progressively started moving shorter in reach and taller in stack to find a comfortable compromise between my road and cross bikes.

Anyways, the geo for the RT-1 is slightly shorter than what I'm used to, with all other variables remaining very similar. Let's hope it fits.

rheosibal

by rheosibal

RyanH wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:21 am
dudemanppl wrote:im just here so i wont get fined
Too late I guess
First time riding with Tommy and we get ticketed. 2 fast 4 u

rheosibal

by rheosibal

Pacenti SL23 v2 / Wheels MFG Hubs / Wheelsmith DB14 = 1500g
28H, built 2x F/R

After some research, I found that Kirk did a test batch back of hard ano on his SL23 rims sometime in 2016. I assumed these were prototypes since they were never offered as an option. An individual on Paceline built them to Wheels MFG hubs, barely rode them, then threw them my way. I have another set of SL23/Forza, and despite spoke hole issues (knock on wood), they're easily one of my favorite aftermarket rims available. Wheels MFG hubs are favorites as well, not sure why they discontinued them.

They're heavy, but they look good.

RyanH

by RyanH

Not sure if they're compatible but swisstop blue should be a big improvement in braking.

rheosibal

by rheosibal

They do! Just tested them this past weekend and the braking seems like an improvement to the shimano ceramic ones that I have been using

rheosibal

by rheosibal

Mavic R-Sys = 1345g

I've used Mavics before, but never a set with Exalith coating. I was looking at Ksyrium SLRs, Shamal Milles, or DT Swiss Oxic for my Evo, but these were on sale locally, so I figured I'd try them out for the time being.

First impression is that they are light, but 50g over the claimed weight of 1295g. As expected, spin up is quicker than the Pacenti's, however, engagement isn't as instant as the Wheels MFG hubs. Another caveat would be the internal width of 15mm, which is pretty slim considering the wider trend. I wouldn't use anything larger than a 25mm tire as the slimmer width results in an ice-cream cone effect.

Braking is outstanding. I was skeptical due to many online reviews that reveal an annoying brake squeal. Once set up properly, about 1mm of toe-in, there is only a slight hum, similar to the current Enve brake track.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rheosibal

by rheosibal

Preliminary build = 7043g / 15.53lbs.

I'll post additional photos and a build list after testing a Berk Lupina and eeBrakes.
Last edited by rheosibal on Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.