2006 TCR Advanced LE

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Kimmoth

by Kimmoth

Hi, I'm a mechanic (thus pauper) and just a casual cyclist (hardly ever wear lycra or ride for more than 20 minutes), hence the toeclips. But bikes are my favourite machine, and I go like a courier. I ignore my country's arsehole mandatory helmet legislation and the road rules which treat cyclists as second class road users; I just have approximately one rule: stay out of the way. It's worked out fine for the last thirty-odd years.

TL;DR: I'm an anarchist commuter on a race bike.

Without further ado, my instrument of anarchy:
6.68kg as pictured.

Nifty details - lightened and countersunk KCNC expander plug; shaved headset cover; trimmed chain catcher; repositioned cable guide for symmetry; shaved 3mm from stack height off pedals; hidden seat clamp bolt; 7700/7400 brakeset (7700 QRs on both); 12t/14t resin narrow/wide pulleys; Ti/Al billet cassette machined to fit on a 7s freehub body, overhanging the hub flange on a 132mm axle, 1.25 turns of extra tension on NDS.

Owes me about AU$1.3k.
Attachments
TCR Red.jpg
Last edited by Kimmoth on Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

Stitchking

by Stitchking

That's pretty dope. Bit of a Frankenstein but that drop makes up for it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kimmoth

by Kimmoth

Cheers :)

There's a rationale behind the parts mix; I got the bike for $600 with 7800 and Ksyrium ES, with only about a year's use on it. Already had the Red and RS80s, so I sold the 7800 group for $560, booyah. I have Red cause it's full WW gear; the wheels cause I'm a big fan of Shimano hubs and these rims, and the brakeset is cause I don't believe in having a DP on the rear; I've never used one there. (Campy eventually agreed with me, but it's a ripoff and would be even more Franken.) They kinda match, especially since I stuck a 7700 QR on the SP. Plus, a SP on a wishbone seatstay looks slick AF.

dolophonic

by dolophonic

Nice .. long as you use it .. i like it.

coriordan

by coriordan

That's pretty dope. You should get some lycra and send it up some hills. It'd fly.

Kimmoth

by Kimmoth

It climbs great, but I'm kinda stumped why folks are into climbing so much... smashing my lungs at 15km/h isn't my idea of fun.

Taxing my balls at 80km/h on the way down is more like it :mrgreen:

Being a weight weenie isn't about climbing for me... it's about engineering I can fap to and how the bike feels.

shotgun

by shotgun

I've owned a similar frameset. It just goes! It loves the climbs. You'll thoroughly enjoy it for sure. As mentioned, geometry drop is very pro.
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

Kimmoth

by Kimmoth

Yeah, I'd probably run even more drop if I had less headtube. Ideally I'd choose the next size down (I've moved the seat clamp forward on the ISP), but I wasn't going to say no to a bargain. This bike cost me $40 after I sold the 7800 off it :D

zmjones

by zmjones

Kimmoth wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:10 am
It climbs great, but I'm kinda stumped why folks are into climbing so much... smashing my lungs at 15km/h isn't my idea of fun.

Taxing my balls at 80km/h on the way down is more like it :mrgreen:

Being a weight weenie isn't about climbing for me... it's about engineering I can fap to and how the bike feels.
gotta go up to go down. really smashing up a hill is great fun. especially when you blow by people like they are standing still.

mrfish

by mrfish

Nice bike, like what you’ve done there.

If you like downhill try a racing bike tandem. 40-50 kph passing speed difference over single bikes if you want.

Kimmoth

by Kimmoth

Oh yeah, this beastie got some major upgrades...

A set of 49mm carbon tubulars from Caden, coming in at 1080g...

And went from Red to 9000 Di2, pretty hard: https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mech ... 070-a.html

TL;DR: shaved the cable hangers and busted out (in?) a custom loom, fully internal with the gutted A-junction living inside the stem.

Now rocking an Edco cassette, and this puppy is sitting on 6.14kg / 13.5lb

Spent about au$3.5k on it now

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

Stunning!!

a lot of dremel work then?

dpries

by dpries

This bike looks awesome!

Kimmoth

by Kimmoth

Knightyboy27 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:44 pm
Stunning!!

a lot of dremel work then?
Check out the bikeforums thread if you want deets, I even made a vid.

Kimmoth

by Kimmoth

dpries wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:56 pm
This bike looks awesome!
Yeah, some deep wheels really set it off. Pity it's a size too big for me...

Lucky I found one in my size, probably gonna do this all over again to that one.

So, EOIs welcome from anyone who'd like to snaffle up this, uh, fuselage as Klein used to call it... Can include frameset, stem and bars, with the battery, A-junction and loom inside it, for the complete full internal plug and play deal, or any combination of possibilities back to just the frameset including the battery and loom, with an unmolested fork with slightly more steerer, and a Di2 wire hanging out of what used to be the race number rivnut behind the head tube, ready to be heatshrunk onto a brake cable.

Oh yeah, it's a 55.5 top tube (56.5 effective), with maybe 705mm between BB centre and seat rails, with another 20mm or so of mast slices for adjustment.

...It just struck me how making the frame Di2-only has made the Shimano chainstay decals about 100x cooler ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com