2008 TCR Advanced

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kimmoth

by Kimmoth

Hi, I'm a mechanic (thus pauper) and just a casual cyclist (hardly ever wear lycra or ride for more than 20 minutes), hence the toeclips. But bikes are my favourite machine, and I go like a courier. I ignore my country's arsehole mandatory helmet legislation and the road rules which treat cyclists as second class road users; I just have approximately one rule: stay out of the way. It's worked out fine for the last thirty-odd years.

TL;DR: I'm an anarchist commuter on a race bike.

Without further ado, my instrument of anarchy:
6.68kg as pictured.

Nifty details - lightened and countersunk KCNC expander plug; shaved headset cover; trimmed chain catcher; repositioned cable guide for symmetry; shaved 3mm from stack height off pedals; hidden seat clamp bolt; 7700/7400 brakeset (7700 QRs on both); 12t/14t resin narrow/wide pulleys; Ti/Al billet cassette machined to fit on a 7s freehub body, overhanging the hub flange on a 132mm axle, 1.25 turns of extra tension on NDS.

Owes me about AU$1.3k.
Attachments
TCR Red.jpg
Last edited by Kimmoth on Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Stitchking

by Stitchking

That's pretty dope. Bit of a Frankenstein but that drop makes up for it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Kimmoth

by Kimmoth

Cheers :)

There's a rationale behind the parts mix; I got the bike for $600 with 7800 and Ksyrium ES, with only about a year's use on it. Already had the Red and RS80s, so I sold the 7800 group for $560, booyah. I have Red cause it's full WW gear; the wheels cause I'm a big fan of Shimano hubs and these rims, and the brakeset is cause I don't believe in having a DP on the rear; I've never used one there. (Campy eventually agreed with me, but it's a ripoff and would be even more Franken.) They kinda match, especially since I stuck a 7700 QR on the SP. Plus, a SP on a wishbone seatstay looks slick AF.

dolophonic

by dolophonic

Nice .. long as you use it .. i like it.

coriordan

by coriordan

That's pretty dope. You should get some lycra and send it up some hills. It'd fly.

Kimmoth

by Kimmoth

It climbs great, but I'm kinda stumped why folks are into climbing so much... smashing my lungs at 15km/h isn't my idea of fun.

Taxing my balls at 80km/h on the way down is more like it :mrgreen:

Being a weight weenie isn't about climbing for me... it's about engineering I can fap to and how the bike feels.

shotgun

by shotgun

I've owned a similar frameset. It just goes! It loves the climbs. You'll thoroughly enjoy it for sure. As mentioned, geometry drop is very pro.

Kimmoth

by Kimmoth

Yeah, I'd probably run even more drop if I had less headtube. Ideally I'd choose the next size down (I've moved the seat clamp forward on the ISP), but I wasn't going to say no to a bargain. This bike cost me $40 after I sold the 7800 off it :D

zmjones

by zmjones

Kimmoth wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:10 am
It climbs great, but I'm kinda stumped why folks are into climbing so much... smashing my lungs at 15km/h isn't my idea of fun.

Taxing my balls at 80km/h on the way down is more like it :mrgreen:

Being a weight weenie isn't about climbing for me... it's about engineering I can fap to and how the bike feels.
gotta go up to go down. really smashing up a hill is great fun. especially when you blow by people like they are standing still.

by Weenie

mrfish

by mrfish

Nice bike, like what you’ve done there.

If you like downhill try a racing bike tandem. 40-50 kph passing speed difference over single bikes if you want.