Pinarello Gan RS

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

HarrisonK

by HarrisonK

I'm a relatively new member. I raced for several years but havent touched a bike in nearly 10 years. I just picked up a new bike to get back into it. I got a 2017 Pinarello Gan RS with Ultegra mechanical. Right now it weighs 7.6kg but I hope to get it down to 7kg soon. I don't have much of a budget for upgrades as I'm a full-time law student but I'll be doing things slowly. I think my first few purchases will be a Garmin 520+ (should be coming out within the next week according to LBS), Dura Ace cassette and chain, Look Keo Blade 2 Ti pedals, and carbon handlebars. After that is wheels. Suggestions appreciated!

And my old bike:
Last edited by HarrisonK on Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Skip the 520 and get the wahoo bolt. Next priority lighter wheels.

HarrisonK

by HarrisonK

I ended up buying the Edge 820 today. Additionally, I tested the Pinarello on my trainer today due to heavy rain all weekend. I love the bike so far, but the trainer doesn't give an accurate representation. I will update this weekend with a ride report. I'm excited to test my old Guru back-to-back with the Pinarello.

As far as wheels go, does anyone have experience with Hunt wheels? From a value perspective, they seem unbeatable. I'm thinking about either the 3650 Carbon Wide Aero (1477 grams) or the 36 Carbon Wide Aero (1417 grams) to replace my Fulcrum 5s.

rexyi1990

by rexyi1990

I have a F10 frameset, and nearly can't find the difference between gan and F10 when I go through them

HarrisonK

by HarrisonK

The Gan RS is very similar to the Dogma F8. Basically the same bike with a different grade of carbon.

Kimmoth

by Kimmoth

Chinese carbon bars can be had for like $40. Toseek (who?) do a 3T Aeronova copy for this price that's quite nice once you cut the last 40mm off the drops (this part points up when you have the bars at a good angle, and is the only part of the bars where you can see any asymmetry).

Of course, $40 for light bars is a gamble, so you should try to break them before fitting. There are reports of these bars failing, and when you test them you will hear some fibers break, indicating they don't test them. But if you do your best to break them by hand and they don't, they should be perfectly safe. DIY QC FTW.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I wouldn't spend money on "upgrading" the cassette and chain, at this point. There are bigger "bang-for-the-buck" upgrades to be had, and since those are wear items, anyway, you'll have to replace them sooner rather than later. Wheels (and tires) would definitely be my #1 priority, right now (I don't have any experience with Hunt, sorry).

After that, go for the contact points: bar/stem/saddle/pedals. Rotating mass is always a priority, but the less you need to move around, the better you'll be. One thing I would recommend, from a purely asthetics side, is that if you aren't going to go with a power meter, please ditch your current speed/cadence sensor and go for a crank-mounted cadence sensor (the speed sensor is really useless, because if you have a GPS unit, just use your speed based on that).

One practice pointer, when photographing your bike: always put the chain on the big ring on the crank and small cog on the cassette.

HarrisonK

by HarrisonK

I took everyone's advice and put 50mm carbon wheels on today. They aren't the best/most expensive wheels, but as a full-time law student with limited income, it's the best I could do right now. My goal is to get a pair of Enve's or Lightweight's after school. For now, these will do.

Before (Fulcrum Racing 5):

After (Bontrager Aeolus Pro 5):

Big difference in appearance. Didn't get to ride the new wheels yet as my shoes snapped 3 miles into my ride.

I'm going to be lowering my stem 1 spacer every month while my body adjusts. Once fully lowered I will cut the tube. I hate the current stack.

Next up (in order): Berk composites saddle; look keo blade ti peddles; carbon stem/bar (hopefully integrated).

mrfish

by mrfish

I would personally steer clear of $40 carbon bars from unknown sellers. 99.9% might be ok but the downside of the bar snapping at the wrong moment is just not worth it. I’d recommend enjoying the bike as it is, then spending the money on replacing the frame of your guru so that it is the same size, then you have a bike for rain, indoor trainer etc.

HarrisonK

by HarrisonK

Small update: I put on a Garmin Edge 820 and a Berk Lupina saddle:

Next up:
Look Keo Blade Carbon Ti pedals and incrementally lower stem and then cut tube.

bilwit

by bilwit

lookin real mean now compared to stock 8)

kidrob

by kidrob

bilwit wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:44 pm
lookin real mean now compared to stock 8)
yeah, completely different bike! Stem corrections should also change a ton, looking forward ;)

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

HarrisonK wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:46 pm
My goal is to get a pair of Enve's or Lightweight's after school.
Hehehe... No, you won't. Enjoy paying off those student loans :P

-Signed, a practicing attorney.

HarrisonK

by HarrisonK

Lowered my stem 2cm. Have 1cm more to go before I cut the tube. Pictures to come.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com