Japanese Steel: update on p4

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

DOUG

by DOUG

@Colnago why did you bypass the internal routing? I really like the fact that the bar tape is nice an smooth and doesnt have a lump where its wrapped over the cables. I found it pretty easy to run the cables as well even with the stiff hydraulic lines.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Doug... are you running Etap hydro? That’s why. Try running two mechanical housings through the internal guides and you’ll see where the problems start. They may have even updated this bar since the one I did for that very reason. But one hydro or mechanical brake housing through there would not be a problem. And I think it was also forcing the derailleur cables to be used in the channel of the Campy ergo levers that I avoid like the plague because it has an acute bend as it exits the shifter similar to Shimano levers and eventually is the point that the cable may start to fray. With the round to the front option the cables, kept clean, could be in good Service for years. Plus, once it’s wrapped you really don’t notice the cables at all.
As much as I prefer mechanical shifting, perfect shifting requires smooth unencumbered cable runs. If you can’t achieve that, you’re probably better off with electric... TT bikes being a good example.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

glepore

by glepore

Wookski wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:18 am
Forgot how rad the Obermeyers on Veloflex carbons were. Also brings the system weight down to 6.68kg. Not bad for a non weight focussed steel build.
There is nothing on God's good earth that rides like narrow steel on lightweights. I got a whole bunch of bikes, but if I need a smile, I know where I'm going.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

glepore wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:41 am
There is nothing on God's good earth that rides like narrow steel on lightweights. I got a whole bunch of bikes, but if I need a smile, I know where I'm going.
Reading this gives me a smile. Riding lightweights on any kind of remotely gusty descent quickly takes it away I'm afraid.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

DOUG

by DOUG

Calnago wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:38 am
@Doug... are you running Etap hydro? That’s why. Try running two mechanical housings through the internal guides and you’ll see where the problems start. They may have even updated this bar since the one I did for that very reason. But one hydro or mechanical brake housing through there would not be a problem. And I think it was also forcing the derailleur cables to be used in the channel of the Campy ergo levers that I avoid like the plague because it has an acute bend as it exits the shifter similar to Shimano levers and eventually is the point that the cable may start to fray. With the round to the front option the cables, kept clean, could be in good Service for years. Plus, once it’s wrapped you really don’t notice the cables at all.
As much as I prefer mechanical shifting, perfect shifting requires smooth unencumbered cable runs. If you can’t achieve that, you’re probably better off with electric... TT bikes being a good example.
Ah ok makes sense. Yep Im running E-Tap Hydro

Wookski

by Wookski

Calnago wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:44 am
glepore wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:41 am
Reading this gives me a smile. Riding lightweights on any kind of remotely gusty descent quickly takes it away I'm afraid.
Unless you’re talking gale force winds it’s actually not that bad. A gentle push here or there is all part of the experience :lol:

Wookski

by Wookski

Updates:

McFK -17 stem
McFK topcap
Berk Hlod UD gloss saddle
Darimo T2 UD gloss post
Michelin Pro4 tubulars
Ceramicspeed UFO KMC X11SL
Tune wasserträger cages

Now 6.76kg with Bora Ulta 50’s and under 6.30kg with AX Ultra 25’s/ Extralite streeter combo.

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

This is VERY special! R E S P E C T
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

Can we have close ups from the frame please?

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok, that's nice, too. I think the gloss Deda might look better.

jemima

by jemima

Very nice.

How's the comfort on the Hlod? and what saddle did you come from?
Curve Grovel ti.

Wookski

by Wookski

jemima wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:24 am
Very nice.

How's the comfort on the Hlod? and what saddle did you come from?
This is my 3rd Hlod, they are my favourite saddle- perfect shape and lots of flex. I also run Komm Vor and Komm Vor plus, also very good for me. My spooky has a WR S1-A which is a great shape but the lack of flex beats me up on rides over 5 hours.

Italophile

by Italophile

Hey Wookski,

First of all what a stunning build. Just perfect in every respect.

Its hard to find much information on ordering through Japanese custom builders online. I had some questions about what your service experience was like dealing with Cherubim: are they comfortable dealing with overseas customers or would you recommend flying out to collect, get fitted etc? I'm considering a similar build but am unsure about arranging the build/shipping to the UK.

In a similar vein, how customisable are the bike presets that are shown on the website? Could I get DM brakes, 28mm tires for example or do they stick to traditional styles only?

Thanks, and once again, lovely bike. Truly something special :beerchug:

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

u switched to boras instead of lws? which one you like better?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wookski

by Wookski

mike wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:14 pm
u switched to boras instead of lws? which one you like better?
Always switching wheels- the Lightweights are the best but I get sick of the shouty gen iii graphics. I need to get some gen 4’s.