Caad12 2018 build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

kayjay

by kayjay

Hi,

Have been following this forum in silence for a while and thought it was time to present myself together with my new Cannondale Caad12 project. Have been planning a custom build for some time and now it's finally time to begin.

The starting point is a Caad12 Ultegra 2018 that will be stripped and rebuilt with this spec:

Frameset: Caad12 2018
Fork: Caad12 2018
Groupset: Dura-Ace di2 r9150
Crankset: Cannondale Si Hollowgram
Stem: Fizik Cyrano R1
Handlebar: Fizik Cyrano R1 110 mm
Garmin mount: Barfly 2.0 for Fizik stems
Seast post: Cannondale C2 (might be replaced later on...)
Saddle: Fizik Arione R1
Wheelset: Enve 3.4 SES with Dura-Ace C24 9000 as climbing wheels
Tires: Vittoria Corsa G+ isotech (#gumwalls)
QR skewers: PlanetX carbon/ti
Bottle cage: King Cage ti

I have guesstimated the final weight w/o pedals to appr. 6 700 grams. Everything is ordered and I eagerly wait for all the packages to drop in..

Hope you look forward to follow my project. Images will follow...
Last edited by kayjay on Mon May 28, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

poursuivant

by poursuivant

I look forward to this one!

kayjay

by kayjay

I thought it was time for an update. The CAAD12 Ultegra was delivered earlier this week and almost all the goodies except the Dura Ace 9150 groupset is now at home waiting to be installed.

The frameset looks ace, but not to happy with the greenish color of the C2 seatpost, which doesn’t really match the all black Fizik stem and bar. I think I will try to sand it down and clear coat it to match the other components.

The frame is now stripped from all stock parts and the Ultegra groupset and is ready to be rebuilt into its new shape.

The frame is di2 ready but Cannondale still doesn’t include grommets and plugs or a di2 specific bb cover. So I placed an order for some insanely expensive parts from shapeways that hopefully will do the trick.

The CAAD12 in it’s birthday suit. The weight is 7610 grams without pedals, cages and bartape. Do apologize in advance for the saddle’s angle...

Some of the new components on the scale.

I will hopefully get som time to start sanding the seatpost and install some of the new goodies this weekend. Updates will follow.

kayjay

by kayjay

Finally done, and everything turned out as planned. Had to sand and clear coat the seatpost to get rid of the greenish color. Still hard time to find plugs and bottom bracket cover for the CAAD, so has to buy 3D printed ones from Shapeways.

Took it out for a first spin yesterday and love the way it rides. Can’t wait to spend some more time in the saddle.

Here’s the final build. 7.2 kg with super-heavy Garmin pedals. (Might be time for new pedals and power meter...) The stem will slammed later on, when I have ridden it some more to get used to the positioning.