Bowman Palace R Ltd

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

dopesick187

by dopesick187

Hi

Just about to start a new build after my Supersix evo hm disc was written off last week when I was hit by a car. Both me and the bike didn't come off too well :cry:
Decided I wanted to simplify things with this build so I've gone with a Bowman frame, and mechanicial/rim brake groupset. Had to keep the build within a relatively tight budget as unfortunately my supersix wasn't insured. I am hoping to recover the costs from the drivers insurance but these things take time.

Build list:

Frame - Bowman Palace r 54cm Ltd
Fork - Bowman Palace R
Headset - Bowman x Token
Seatpost clamp - Bowman
Seatpost - Fizik Cyrano 00 27.2 x 350
Seat - Fizik Aliante R1 Open
Stem - Fizik Cyrano R1 110
Bar - Fizik Cyrano R1 Bull 40
Bartape - Fizik Endurance SL
Bottle cages - King cages
Outer Cables - Jagwire
Inner Cables - Jagwire stainless
Brakes - Ultegra R8000
Front derailleur - Ultegra R8000
Rear derailleur - Ultegra R8000 SS
Crankset - Ultegra R8000 170mm
Bottom Bracket - Ultegra R8000
Chainrings - Ultegra R8000 52/36
Chain - Ultegra
Shifters - Ultegra R8000
Cassette - Ultegra R8000 11-30
Wheels - Mavic Ksyrium Pro carbon SL
Inntertubes - Continental Supersonic
Tires - Vittoria Corsa G+ 25
Pedals - Ultegra 6800
Computer mount - Raceware

Picutres and weights to follow. Hoping for the low 7's for the final weight.
Last edited by dopesick187 on Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 9 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

happyon2wheels

by happyon2wheels

dopesick187 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 9:32 pm
Pictures and weights to follow.
Yes, please. This will be very interesting to see.

dopesick187

by dopesick187

Just waiting for the frame to arrive, it's being sent direct from Bowman tomorrow. All the other parts apart from tubes, cables, cages and wahoo mount are in.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Looking forward to this one, got a soft spot for Bowmans even though I've never seen one in the flesh...

:popcorn:

dopesick187

by dopesick187

I've never seen one in the flesh either. Was strange buying a frame that I've never cast my eye on. I'm a little nervous about the rear tyre clearence however I've seen many using 25's, even with a wider rim than the one on the Mavic's I've got.

coriordan

by coriordan

Great choice of frame. Interested to see it. I think the R8000 groupset looks fantastic. The frame is *just* the right tube diameter to took ace with both shallow and deep wheels as well.

mattr

by mattr

Just mail bowman and ask about tyre clearance.
Neil's quite keen on the bigger is better thing, so has probably tested extensively.
Or post on their FB page, you should get a response fairly quickly.

happyon2wheels

by happyon2wheels

Just saw a video on youtube of a guy presenting his Palace:R with Continental 4000 in 25mm tires on Shamal wheels and he had zero(!) clearance on the rear. That is almost killing my interest in the limited edition they offer just now. I will be VERY keen to see the clearance once you get your bike built up.

dopesick187

by dopesick187

Was that the overwieght (by his own admission) guy with green frame? If so I saw that and had my concerns too. I've just watched the video again and read the comments. He was clear that he was getting run on the driveside chainstay, intersteing that further down in the comments he states that the frame was found to be misaligned at the rear and Bowman accepted for it to be returned. Likely that this is why he was having so many issues.

Before I ordred the frame I spoke with a guy who has a Palace r with Hunt aero wide's and veloflex 25's. I've also seen someone running Knights with GP4000's in 25, another with Reynolds 58's and GP4000's in 25, and another one Roval CLX64's with Specialized turbo's in 26. Clearence is tight, but it's there, main issue appears to be installing/removing wheel with tyre inflated which won't really be an issue for me. Guess I'll find out soon enough and I'll update the thread.

In terms of the build I think I've decided that i'll be changing the bars to Fizik Cyrano R1, and the seat post to Cyrano 00. Also tempted to change the tyres to Corsa's as I think the gum wall will really suit the build, however puntcture resitance isn't the best and I've heard really good things about the Pirelli's.

fa63

by fa63

Both Veloflex 25 and Specialized Turbo 26 run pretty close to their stated width, even on wide rims. In case clearance is really an issue.

happyon2wheels

by happyon2wheels

dopesick187 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 10:55 pm
Was that the overwieght (by his own admission) guy with green frame?
Yes, that's the one. Obviously not my intention to ruin your joy of the incoming frame, more a reflection of the exact reason I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

On the Pirelli's I can warmly recommend these. Coming for a long love of Conti GP4000's, the Pirelli tires have really impressed me. They run a fraction less wide than comparatively sized Conti's (which run very wide), but with the same latex innertubes the difference in smoothness and road-feel (if there is such a thing :noidea: ) of the Pirelli's is very positive.

Clean39T

by Clean39T

Mine for Challenge Strada B 25s fine:

patchsurfer

by patchsurfer

I ran 25mm conti 4000s' on Zondas with zero issues other than we had a particularly crappy season for roadworks, ended up having a few incidents of gravel getting stuck between the tyre and the brake underside / bridge. My brakes are 6800, I think the 8000's have a bit more clearance...

Currently running the rubino pro g's which I'm really impressed with - I fell victim to the conti 4000 sidewall thing, so...

I have a palace r in green, love it to bits.

Ritchiel1707

by Ritchiel1707

Good choice on this bike, I have one in the same colour and absolutely love it.

For all those questioning the tyre clearance, I run 27 mm Vittoria Open Paves on a H Plus Son TB14 rims at 80-85 PSI with no issues at all. i will post up pics of the clearance shortly and also a full spec list with pics.

Welcome to the Bowman family!!!

happyon2wheels

by happyon2wheels

Ritchiel1707 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 9:10 pm
For all those questioning the tyre clearance, I run 27 mm Vittoria Open Paves on a H Plus Son TB14 rims at 80-85 PSI with no issues at all. i will post up pics of the clearance shortly
Thanks, that would be good - especially around the brake bridge and BB bridge 👍

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com