Genesis Zero Disc

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

LeMomo

by LeMomo

*Edit - Updated build list*

Frame - Genesis Zero Disc - 1071g including hanger, seatpost clamp, bottle cage bolts and all inserts
Fork - Genesis Zero Disc - 373 uncut
Thru axles - Shimano, 74g rear, 65g front
Headset - Prestine - supplied with the frameset - 71g
Steerer bung and top cap - Supplied with frameset - 48g
seatpost clamp - Ebay carbon 10g
Seatpost - Deda Superleggero RS
Seat - Specialized Toupe - 155mm
Stem - Deda Superleggero RS 11cm
Bar - 3T Superergo LTD 42cm
Bartape - Fizik microtex tape with bar gel (very heavy! c90g for the gel, but as I suffer from carpal tunnel problems in both wrists the extra vibration damping is well worth it) c180g
bottle cages and hardware - Specialized Rib cage x 2 - 64g
Outer Cables - Di2
Inner Cables - N/A
Brakes - Shimano Dura Ace 9170
Front derailleur - Dura Ace Di2 9070
Rear derailleur - Dura Ace Di2 9070
Crankset - Quarq DZero, 172.5mm
Bottom Bracket - SRAM PF86
Chainrings - Praxis 50-34
Chain - Sram PC1170
Shifters - Shimano Dura Ace 9170
Cassette - Ultegra 8000 11-30
Wheels: Winter
hubs - Hope RS4 CL
Spokes - 32 Sapim DB
Rims - DT Swiss RR511
Inntertubes - Continental Race 28
Tyres - Continental GP4Season 25mm
Wheels: Summer
Roval CLX 32
Inntertubes - Continental Race 28
Tyres - Continental GP4000sii 25mm
Pedals - Shimano Ultegra 6800
Polar/garmin/computer mounts - K-edge combo
Headset Spacers - Gammut Cillos

Hi, I thought I'd share a few details of my build here.

I'm a mountainbiker at heart but the imminent arrival of my daughter 2 years ago lead me to buying a CX bike so that I could ride from the front door my thinking being that I'd get a lot more bike time in without impacting family life too much.

ImageNew CX by Matt Cotterill, on Flickr

A 56cm 2016 Cube cross race pro, photo taken the day I bought it, you can still see the price sticker on the bars.

I changed the bars (wider 42-44cm and carbon) and stem (longer 100-110mm) and went through a few saddles. I also picked up a second set of wheels and fitted them with Continental GP4000s so I could head out with friends for road rides.

After 2000kms I came to the conclusion thta the bike really is too small for me and that the only times I ever rode offroad were 4 or 5 times not long after first buying the bike, just because I thought I should. So when the time came to replace I started to look for road disc frames.

I have a thing for non-mainstream brands, I like riding something idfferent to everyone else and being as I already own one Genesis, a 650b+ Tarn hardtail, when I spotted this on ebay at a very attractive price I knew it was the frame for me.

It's not the lightest, about 8.7kg as pictured, but it's built to support a 100kg rider who often forgets that he's not on his MTB!

The fit is still being fine tuned so please excuse the spacers on top of the stem.

Anyway without much further ado, on to the photos...

ImageUntitled by Matt Cotterill, on Flickr
ImageGenesis Zero Disc by Matt Cotterill, on Flickr
Last edited by LeMomo on Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zmjones

by zmjones

i really like the paintjob. what is the tire clearance like? given that you aren't that fussed about weight i'd stuff 28s in there if i could.

ross

by ross

I really like the colour schemes on this bike, lovely thought out details plus you have given it a solid matching build. The wheels look great de-stickered too :)

For the thru-axles check out the Mt Zoom ones on XCRacer, if you buy three products at the same time I think you get another 5% discount

Cheers

LeMomo

by LeMomo

A couple of updates, I picked up a very tidy Dura Ace chainset to replace the Ultegra one and have made the switch to SPD-SL with a pair of Ultegra pedals (bearings were feeling pretty slack in the old 540s so it was a good excuse, will probably swap back over winter though so I can use my insulated boots). I've switched the stem for a 120mm one. This has all contributed to a drop of around 150g.

ImageGenesis Zero, 5 mile bridge by Matt Cotterill, on Flickr

I also swapped my trusty old topeak saddle pack for a Silca Premio, it's a little lighter but the main reason for the switch was aesthetics and so that I could mount a second light higher up the seat post.

I've got a Dura Ace rear mech on the way and a 155mm Toupe Pro to try, between them they should see another 100g(ish) off the total weight.

Other than that I've just been putting the miles on it and beating PBs everywhere (despite being heavier and significantly less fit than I was 18 months ago!) I'm booked in for a bike fit at the beginning of July, once I'm settled on position on the bike I'll cut the excess steerer tube down flush.

lazypete

by lazypete

Hi - nice build. I'm in the process of building up a zero disc frameset and wondered if you'd mind sharing a technical tip ? The cable entry on the head tube doesn't seem to have any cable stops, and the internal cable clamps / guides around the BB seem sized for 4mm outers, rather than sheathing / bare inners. Is it designed to run full length outers shifter to mech, front and rear ? How did you set it up - continuous or interrupted adding stops somehow ? Need to order some cables bit not quite sure how to make it work, and can't stretch to Di2 ! Any advice gratefully received. Cheers, Pete

LeMomo

by LeMomo

Hi Pete,

It confused me at first too, but I've run continuous length outers to the mechs - not the lightest solution - I'd estimate it at around a 70g penalty - but well suited to riding conditions in the UK.
A second tip, the internal cable clamp on the downtube, the bolt is pretty long, it does not, I repeat DOES NOT need to be removed completely to get the cables into position. If you do remove it fully you could end up spending a day trying to locate the plastic clamp from inside the chainstay like me!

Please share some photos once you're finished, these seem to be fairly thin on the ground so it'll be good to what someone else does with theirs.

lazypete

by lazypete

Cheers - that does seem the simplest solution, though like you was hoping to avoid extraneous weight ! I've emailed genesis as well to ask how they do it, but not had anything back. Will get some pics up once done, though will be a swap from current bike until I can raise cash for Di2 and some nice finishing kit !

Miller

by Miller

I recently built up a Genesis Vapour CX frame which has the same cable routing system, there's a thread on here from May. It's as LeMomo says, the cable routing is designed for continuous outer casing from shifter to mech. The internal cable clamp is designed for one hydro hose and two 4mm gear casings.

It's a nice system although if I have a criticism, it's that I think encouraging three cables to lie flat against the inside of the down tube encourages cable rattle over bumps.

lazypete

by lazypete

Thanks - I've ordered enough outer to run continuous. Is it safe to assume i don't need ferrules on the front mech hose, as the outer slots tight into that conduit running up from the BB to in front of the rear wheel ?

Nice Vapour BTW !

Miller

by Miller

Thanks.

I don't think I could have used a ferrule on the end of the front mech casing, as you say the casing is a tight fit on the plastic conduit.

LeMomo

by LeMomo

Yep, no ferrule needed for the front mech.

Anyway, a couple of purchases have arrived,

Dura Ace rear mech - 161g

and 155mm Toupe Pro saddle - 190g, a bit dissapointing seeing as the claimed weight is just 165g! However, this is still 34g lighter than the ti railed 143mm Toupe it replaces, only one 50km ride on it so far so I'm reserving final judgement until I've had a bit more saddle time.

I did also purchase a Fizik Aliante Versus Evo R1, this came in under the claimed weight (182g vs 195 claimed) but it is not the fit for me so it's back up for sale again.

ImageFizik saddles by Matt Cotterill, on Flickr

A cheeky ebay offer also saw these land on my doorstep last week

Not fitted yet and probably won't be for a while, I think I'm going to hang out for a set of 9120 shifters.

Need to recoup some funds from parts removed, but next targets are through axles, seat clamp and expander/top cap.

After that it'll be new wheels, mid depth carbon, Hope RD40 (c£1100, 1495g), DT Swiss PRC1400 35db (c£1600, 1438g) or Roval CLX32 (c£1600, 1350g) are my current favourites, I tried a friends 50mm wheels to see how they looked and to my eye they don't work, hence wanting something a little shallower.

LeMomo

by LeMomo

Thought it was about time that I updated this thread with the changes made over the summer.

Firstly I picked up a set of Mt Zoom thru axles, 30g front and 40g rear, original shimano ones are 64g/75g so a loss of 34g/35g. However, I'm not overly happy with how either axle fits, rear is too long and there are 3 or 4 full threads protruding through while the front a wee bit too short and only engages a few threads, so I tend to run with the stock axles in place for piece of mind.

Seat post clamp has been changed for an unbranded chinese special from ebay, 14g lighter than the stock clamp

Water bottle boss bolts changed for alluminium bolts - 5g (-8g over stock)

Headset spacers changed from 3x 10mm Mt Zoom carbon to a single Gammut Cillos 30mm spacer, stiffer and lighter too at c6g.

Left hand crank arm swapped for a Stages Gen2 power meter, weighs 180g, exactly the same weight as the stock R9000 LH crank arm plus the garmin cadence sensor.

I picked up a pair of Dura Ace 9120 shifters (2 seperate purchases, 1 ebay the other on a discount weekend at PBK) so fitted them along with the 9170 callipers I'd already purchased, while the bar tape was off I cut away a lot of the gel padding I'd originally installed, about 40g worth has gone in the bin as I realised I didn't need the extra padding across the tops.

A local shop ran a promotion offering 20% of purchases back in loyalty points (I was after a full new winter wardrobe, so using complex man maths this closed the gap between the Roval CLX32s and the Hope wheels I'd also been considering). So I now have a pair of CLX32 disc wheels, they weigh in at 1395g (1350 claimed, albiet I'm guessing that's bare weight) with stock tape and 12mm adapters fitted (626g front/769g rear)

Final weight is just under 7.8kg (with light/pump/GPS mounts and stock shimano through axles) or 8.55kg with saddle pack, rear light, pump and GPS - so ready to ride just needs bottles.

So what's next, well the stages is now playing up (and being as I bought it used from ebay) and may need replacing as I do like having power available while I'm riding. I'm unsure as to wether to go crank based or pedal based if I go down the replacement route.

Other than that, after a Sportive on Sunday the Rovals will go away for their winter holiday and the Hope/DT Swiss wheels will go back on (with RT81 disc rotors) with 25mm Conti GP 4 seasons, the local roads are horrendous in the winter here but a man cannot survive on Zwift alone!

lazypete

by lazypete

Looks good. Just looking out for a similar shallow/mid depth Wheelset to finish mine off, then will get a pic up - too unclean at present !

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Try carbon Ti axles and steerer bung. These are perfect.

lazypete

by lazypete

IMG_20181104_142544215.jpg
My Dzero build - just need some lighter wheels (currently using winter trainers). Not particularly light at 8.2kg, but I love it !

P

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com