T2/1X

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RyanH

by RyanH

The new slamset will give you about 5mm extra. Fairwheelbikes.com has it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dak

by dak

@Tony & Ryan thanks for the suggestion. I will look into the slamset, hopefully that will be the solution (although $70! 🤮) otherwise I might have to try a lower stack stem which would suck as the MCfK looks great on the bike.

@calnago I wish I had your technical prowess but honestly you lost me at epoxy!
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141400

euph

by euph

All of these fixes seem a bit dodgy. Calnago's idea is probably the least dodgy. However I would go with a lower headset cap and cover as suggested, or just get a new fork if you really want to stick with this stem. By the time you have added some steerer and bonded it in the weight saving will be negated. Also this stem isn't some beefy 180g aluminium thing, it is well designed and intended to have the full surface clamped on the steerer.

In short, don't cut corners when using expensive and lightweight components.

dak

by dak

Good news! The derailleur hanger was an easy fix. Regarding the stem and steer tube, I decided to go with my trusty Easton EA90 stem for now. When I took out the calipers,there was about 7 mm of exposed stem clamp above the steer tube with the MCFK stem, which was too much for my comfort. With the Easton stem it’s closer to 2 mm. And as a bonus, the stem is super stiff, all be at about 40g heavier.

For now, the bike is not in weight weenie mode sitting at about 15.8lbs / 7.15kg as seen below. Plenty of opportunities to shed weight but for now, it’s solid as a tank. Was only able to ride up and down the street so far, so ride report will be later this week. I’ll add a build list soon but for now here are some quick iPhone pics.

ImageImageImageImage

My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod

dak

by dak

My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

What led to the decision of a 1X build? Do you not have hills where you live?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

minley1

by minley1

Looks a really nice clean build, and a good weight too

dak

by dak

pdlpsher1 wrote:What led to the decision of a 1X build? Do you not have hills where you live?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live in northeast Florida. It’s flat like a pancake. The tallest hills we have are over water. Image The idea was to have a cleaner, simpler setup since I don’t need the small ring when I’m home. Plus I have an Evo for when I need to climb.Image
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod

dak

by dak

minley1 wrote:Looks a really nice clean build, and a good weight too
Thanks! I was quite happy with the initial weight too given it’s Ultegra 8000 and fairly heavy clinchers. The seatpost is a boat anchor too, so it should be able to go quite a bit lighter....
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod

dak

by dak

Shake down cruise this afternoon and I think I’m love Image

I’ll write up a ride review a little later, but the short version is this thing is awesome. From ride and handling to finish quality, I’m really impressed.

My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod

dak

by dak

Trying out Syntace P6 Hiflex seat post. I found a new one on Amazon in the 300mm length which was 191g and shaved about 75g from the FSA I first put on. It was just long enough to get about 15mm past the minimum insertion point so now I don’t have to cut down a 400mm. Curious to see if I can tell a difference in comfort...

Also put my other clinchers on which are way lighter, with the Power Competition tires and Conti SuperSonic tubes. They cut another 385g

Bike is now down to 6.7kg / 14.75lbs.

My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod

dak

by dak

Replacing my 6 year old Ergonova Team bars with the new 3T Superergos after the cheap Chinese carbon stem I had on my CAAD9 left a 50mm wide, 2mm deep indent in the clamping zone 🤦🏼‍♂️ (lesson learned). Almost screwed up ordering the same size as my ergonovas before I realized 3T changed from measuring the size at the drops to measuring from the hoods. So sized down on these from 42 to 40cm.

I am looking forward to how the new flat section at the bend to the tops feels as I often rest my wrists there when on the hoods. Hopefully they didn’t change the shape of the drops too much as I truly love the ergonova shape in the drops.

Weight seems very respectable given the extra shaping and internal routing. Hopefully the won’t be a PITA to route.

My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod

dak

by dak

Still love this bike. Perfect compliment to my Evo
Attachments
F852337D-BE46-42AD-9AB3-6C8CFD96066B.jpeg
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod

fa63

by fa63

That looks great, well done!

CLEAR

by CLEAR

I had same issue with too short steerer tube. Left with 38mm above top headset cover. Was perfect for standard 40mm stack stems. But then, mcfk 44mm stack and ax rigid 45mm, just wasnt perfect anymore. I ended getting back to boat anchor compression plug, previously was using extralite ones which has no lips above steerer tube. Not bad, added around 4-5mm on to steerer tube.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com