Genesis Vapour CX

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ross

by ross

Just like buses, none for ages and then two come along at once :lol:

I'm never been a fan of Genesis' music, but this bike really rocks ;) I've had it a few months now and put a bunch of miles on it - really pleased so far. Took it to Devon recently and went exploring the single track roads and byways open to all traffic etc. Amazing fun

Please excuse phone photos

Spec is

Genesis Vapour CCX size small - 1076 grams with hanger and seat collar, fork was 401g uncut
Ultegra 6870 shifters, climber satellite shifter and XT Di2 rear 1x11
40T Absolute Black oval front on Ultegra 6800 cranks, XT 11-42 cassette
K-Edge CX chain device
Fulcrum Racing 5DB, Maxxis Mud Wrestler 33c for winter and Contintal CycloX King for summer
Quaxar Axim floating rotors 180mm F+R with Shimano flat to post mount adapters (brakes taken from another bike)
Juin Tech R1 calipers
Zipp 40cm SSR bars, 3T 110mm stem, CarbonTi top cap and bolt, Deda tape
Ritchey WCS carbon 400mm seatpost with di2 battery mount
Selle Italia SLR TT saddle
XTR spds

8.1 KG with pedals, Garmin mount, bottle cage, bell etc

Looking for some lighter Shimano E-Thru 12mm thru axles, Far and Near do a nice rear in blue but only found a front one by Mt Zoom which is black only. Anyone know of 1.5mm thread pitch 12mm front E-thru TA 120mm length in blue?

Future mods - maybe some nicer wheels some day :D

Cheers all

ross

by ross

Oops fixed photos :oops:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeMomo

by LeMomo

Really nice bike and stunning scenery.

I think I might be adding one of these to my collection of Genesis's (Geneses?) next year

Miller

by Miller

Forum needs a 'like' button.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Miller wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 1:32 pm
That's a good point to rise. I often feel like nothing to contribute except for general praise, but I try not to make posts like that. I think the lack of "like" button encourages thoughtful and more detailed posts.

P.S.: Nice bike, a single chainring Ultegra looks unconventional, never seen one with own eyes.

ross

by ross

LeMomo wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 1:01 pm
Really nice bike and stunning scenery.

I think I might be adding one of these to my collection of Genesis's (Geneses?) next year
Thanks very much, I just saw your other thread (will comment within it) - looks like our framesets share many similarities, which is great because it felt a well thought out design when I was building it up with decent access ports for the cabling and neat touches like that. I'm really pleased with the quick handling of this bike. My previous CX bike was a Rose Pro Cross DX which had a long wheelbase and felt stable at speed over rough ground, but wasn't very fun to ride with slow steering. Very utilitarian if you know what I mean. This frame feels really responsive, nimble and playful like my CAAD road bikes so its much more fun to ride on the road sections. I'd like to get a dropper post for it if it can take one.

Miller wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 1:32 pm
Thanks mate :D Hope you are enjoying yours as much as I am. I think its the perfect all-rounder just with a quick change of tyres

Klaster1 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 3:50 am
P.S.: Nice bike, a single chainring Ultegra looks unconventional, never seen one with own eyes.
Thanks very much, the crank came from another bike & I paired it with the Absolute Black oval chainring and I like the look. The oval chainring is really nice to use, feels very fluid & natural in my pedalling stroke and I am planning to switch out my other bikes now as well. Cheers!

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

Lovely bike. The frameset weight seems very reasonable too.

I use ultegra with an absolute black oval chainring too. The oval is great for gravel grinding and road where you can maintain a good cadence but i find it a hindrance in cyclocross races when you sometimes have a low, choppy pedaling style.

oh and nice photos 8)
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Lovely countryside and a nice looking bike too, good job

ross

by ross

Thanks very much both! Yes I was very pleased with the low frame weight, probably helped a little by the small size

In other news I've managed to find a Far & Near Rock Shox front TA in 12x100 with 1.5mm thread pitch, so have ordered front and rear TAs which will drop the weight by around 50g or so. The Muckynutz mudguard has also gone now its summer and I've swapped over the tyres and inner tubes for summer weight ones as well so hopefully I'll get this under 8Kg without having to swap wheels.

I'm also planning to swap the bar tape from the Deda dark blue to Deda dove grey which will match the frame a bit better, it's hard to tell in the photos but it's an off-white light grey. I was hoping the Deda blue tape would match the top tube colour but it's a bit off, but I wanted to get the winter conditions out of the way before going for a light grey tape :)

themidge

by themidge

ross wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 11:54 am
a light grey tape :)
Just get white bar tape, should be the right colour in no time :P .
Bike looks nice :thumbup: .

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Perhaps try the Specialized cloth tape. Its grey and quite comfortable/durable.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com