Genesis Vapour CX w Campagnolo Potenza disc group

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Miller

by Miller

In 2013 I did a disc build based on a Chinese CX frame and TRP Hy/rd brakes. This bike showed me new directions in more ways than simply technological and has led me into the CX sportive scene. I loved it. So I sold it. Here is the replacement, I finished it at the weekend.

Frame is a 2017 Genesis Vapour CX, surprisingly light at just over 1000g.

It's built with a full Campagnolo Potenza disc group.

Easton EA70 AX gravel bar and Lizard Skin tape

Potenza Disc Ergos

Campag disc calipers really exist. Kind of a shame the frame comes with Shimano thru-axles though. 160mm rotor.

Potenxa 50-34 UT chainset

Medium cage rear mech

12-32 cassette and 140mm rotor.

Some mechanical disc bikes have a forest of front cabling but this routing avoids that.

Reilly Cycleworks Vector post, Pro Turnix saddle

Funky paint

Wheels I built from a Bdop kit including Novatec hubs, CX-ray spokes, Kinlin asymmetric rims. Tyres are Schwalbe G-One Bite.

Complete bike as pictured is around 8.5kg.

It's the time of year for new things.

ross

by ross

Very cool, nicely thought out component choice. What's the clearance like on those tyres? I picked up one of these framesets recently and I really love it, really responsive like my CAADs. I run 33c and Di2 1x11. I'll get round to some photos soon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

We'll have to like each other's bikes as there's not much other comment! The G-One Bites are 37mm but there's plenty of clearance.

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Miller wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:51 pm
We'll have to like each other's bikes as there's not much other comment!
Ok ok... Bright colors is fresh air on WW ! It's a coherent build, not heavy and everything seem to be well thinking. A reliable bike that do the job.

If I have to say a little thing about colors, it will be the two red touch on the saddle and the computer mount.

Miller

by Miller

Thanks, and actually I agree with you about the red parts. Have fixed that already, swapped around some outfront mounts so now there is a discreet black one, and I removed the red tag on the saddle.

All I need to do now is go and ride the thing.

xcnick

by xcnick

This looks great. How do you find the hood shape compared to normal Campag shifters?

Miller

by Miller

Kind of early to say, tbh, but I have a couple of initial impressions. With the hood extended to host the brake cyclinder there is a whole lot for your hand to grab onto which particularly over rough ground will be welcome. I'm liking that. The rubber cover is thick and cushioning but this does mean a step down to the bar tape at the edge of the hood. I'm not sure how I will feel about that long term.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Enough of the open mold frame? Real thing is real thing :thumbup:
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

Miller

by Miller

This frame ticked the boxes I was looking for in updated CX/mixed terrain bike so when I saw it on offer, I went for it. And yes, I'm ok with it being a name brand rather than direct from China. Which is not to say that I have not been very happy with my two China bikes, because I have been and am.

shamrock134

by shamrock134

How did you find setting up and installing the Potenza disc groupset? Is the bottom bracket BB86?

I'm looking at building a disc commuter soon and can't decide whether to go for Potenza disc (expensive but I prefer Campag) or wait for 105 R7000 since it'll probably be cheaper.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Miller wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:29 pm
And yes, I'm ok with it being a name brand rather than direct from China.
I had the same bike/frame you had. Now having Jamis Renegade and Scott Addict CX and never going back :)
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

Miller

by Miller

shamrock134 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 3:02 pm
How did you find setting up and installing the Potenza disc groupset? Is the bottom bracket BB86?
Very straightforward, and I'm speaking as someone who has not previously installed hydro disks. I bought some specific tools, namely the Campag oil level too, which is basically a machined block of alloy, and the Campag filling and bleeding kit, then watched the relevant Campag youtube training videos. It all assembled as advertised.

Yes, the Vapour uses BB86. There's a hatch under the BB shell to allow access to cabling. And, neatly, there's an internal cable clamp to grip rear brake hose and both gear cables.

bananapls

by bananapls

Love it :D Really nice build! You just have to get rid of the Shimano-parts :p How's the Schwalbe G-One Bites on tarmac?

Miller

by Miller

Thanks!

The G-One Bites are ok on tarmac, it's entirely feasible to ride tarmac to get to your off-road destination, but in normal conditions you wouldn't really choose them for an all-tarmac ride. I've had one ride on local bridleways and tracks and they are very confident tyres in those conditions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Nice.