Blurple People Eater

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Last edited by Imaking20 on Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

themidge

by themidge

@dak's is nicer, but this is very good, you have been assessed: A
If you wish to resit the test, change the seat post.

In all seriousness though, that colour is amazing and the build is very sleek :thumbup:. What made you go back to carbon? You didn't seem to happy about it when you got your Litespeed, but perhaps you were just bored?

KarlC

by KarlC

Looking good, nice job. As they say ..... Ride report ?
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Last edited by Imaking20 on Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Admit it Isaac, carbon is way better.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Last edited by Imaking20 on Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clean39T

by Clean39T

It's alright man. Sometimes you gotta go revisit the old haunts to remember where you got your convictions. We've all been there. Hell, I just re-purchased the Peg Marcelo I sold last year; and am already over it. Great bike, just more stiff than I'm after for the riding I'm doing.

And there's nothing wrong with Evo's, they're great bikes. They just aren't titanium.

Just curious - why didn't you pick up some OS steel to try out?
Last edited by Clean39T on Sun May 13, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

dak

by dak

Imaking20 wrote:Am I really still being asked to explain why carbon vs steel vs titanium?

This is not about pondering the meaning of life (or material). It's about color and a level top tube. Seriously. That is why I started looking for another frame. Y'know what's easy to find at pretty much any given time? A carbon frame . And definitely an Evo. If I'm deciding to go custom, which will be heavier, why not build up a lighter bike in the meantime?

Why is nobody harassing Ryan? Lest we forget he's been on the ti wagon way longer and also has a carbon bike!!!
Do what makes you happy!! ImageImage
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141400

Clean39T

by Clean39T

Imaking20 wrote:Am I really still being asked to explain why carbon vs steel vs titanium?

This is not about pondering the meaning of life (or material). It's about color and a level top tube. Seriously. That is why I started looking for another frame. Y'know what's easy to find at pretty much any given time? A carbon frame . And definitely an Evo. If I'm deciding to go custom, which will be heavier, why not build up a lighter bike in the meantime?

Why is nobody harassing Ryan? Lest we forget he's been on the ti wagon way longer and also has a carbon bike!!!
It’s all in good fun. Seriously. You could proclaim recumbents are the new black, and I’d still be interested in what you do with what you got and why...

It’s fun to try new stuff. It’s fun to read about other people trying new stuff. And it’s fun to hear how they liked X v Y and why.. You’re checking all those boxes.

One nice thing about the EVO too is you know exactly what you’re getting - geometry, ride tuning, etc. That should be useful when having the fit conversations down the road on your custom.

Off to harass Ryan...

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I love your T2, it is disappointing that you are selling it. The cannondale looks great.

But the Ti vs carbon thing is interesting. Everyone who rides Ti comments about the "liveliness" of the Ti and the dead feeling of carbon frames. BUT in humans, due to evolution and all - that hands(google homunculus) have the highest concentration of nerve endings (feel). Now on every Ti frame I have seen on this site the connection between road and hand is tyre(rubber) rim (mainly carbon on WW) spokes (steel), hubs (alloy), fork (carbon) stem (alloy or carbon), bars (carbon) levers - so no Ti at all. The only Ti manufacturer that I have seen that uses Ti for the fork construction is Nevi. All the bespoke Ti manufacturers use generic off the shelf carbon forks - mainly Enve .

The other two connection points are saddle (carbon shell, carbon rails, carbon seatpost) and feet (carbon sole, pedals (ti axle given), cranks(mainly carbon or alloy).

So I do wonder how much of this lively feel is the placebo effect and how much is merely lack of stiffness in the BB.

All that being said I would like a Ti frame but not due to a better ride or that it will last forever (Ryan, who is the most prominent Ti advocate on the site changes bikes more than anyone else on this site except Bely, and probably more regularly than his socks) but simply that they look fantastic.

End of rant.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Clean39T

by Clean39T

Imaking20 wrote:Well, when I was riding ti I never actually said anything about the liveliness of it. It's fun to ride and the biggest ride difference I noticed when I switched from carbon was the lack of my body basically vibrating to death.

What I didn't expect was the words "dead" or "lively" to enter my thought process when switching from the T2 to the Evo. The builds are identical except the seatpost and the weights are both low enough that I would not expect either to feel snappier, climb better, whatever. That part had held true. After a couple of rides, I am going to say that riding one 12 lb bike pretty much feels like riding another 12 lb bike. But... BUT... there is just a muted feeling on the carbon. This could be articulated as "liveliness" and it's not something I was really aware of until hopping back on carbon (for the first time in 6+ months).

The Evo seems just as comfortable as the T2 so far - which puts it at a higher level of comfort than the C60 and probably C59. I think "BB stiffness" is a little bit of a gimmick. I'd say conventional wisdom would suggest the Evo ti rate higher but if I'm nitpicking I'd say the T2 almost felt a little more "alive" out of the saddle. But I can only think of maybe 1 bike I've owned that I thought DIDN'T have sufficient BB stiffness (Soma Smoothie).

Now, since I didn't buy this bike looking for any material advantages or differences (except maybe weight savings), let's talk about some other takeaways. Objectively, and indisputably, this bike is MUCH more blue!

I'm still trying to decide if I want to go with the MCFK post, as i think it looks best, or something like Enve or FSA which have a little more setback that I can certainly use. Going to swap out the stem for a -12 (I probably could have gotten away with a 52cm, d'oh!). And thinking pretty hard about an SiSL2 and spidering now, even though that would result in a weight gain.

I do think I prefer the handling of the Evo, partiyat high speeds (50+). Turn-in is a touch slower and mid corner the bike feels a little more stable. Part of this frame experiment was to see if the handling was all its cracked up to be. I hold Colnago ax the highest standard here and so far that's probably what my custom geo will look like. Its interesting to see the Evo has handling characteristics that are more toward the Colnago end than T2, Tarmac, Felt, basically everyone else's race bike except maybe BMC. I'm curious to see after a couple thousand miles if I want to pull some geo from the Evo as an influence for the custom bike!

The T2 is sold but sticking around WW and will be in the hands of who can make their own comparisons to the Evo - so it will be interesting to hear what he has to day after a few rides.
Very nice. Sounds like the experiment has been worth doing. And I didn’t say before, but that color is one of my favorites Cannondale has ever done. Some of the ‘18 options are nice too, this one was just ahead of the game..

Where’s that pic? I still haven’t spent enough time south of me and need to get out on those roads.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

bruh you wouldnt have fit a 52 tho... you should try riding an emonda slr, they're neat.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Last edited by Imaking20 on Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com