(yet another) Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi-mod (2012, size 58 4.890 kg)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

Inspired by the likes of 4Ibanez and Godzuki26 (and me always wanting a sub 5 kilo bike) I started my sub 5 kilo bike project about one year ago. It begun with an Olympia 849 frame and eTap, which then became a Evo Hi-Mod, which then dropped the eTap in favour of mechanical Red 22. The complete story is too long (i.e. boring) and saw a THM Clavicula, Corima 32mm S+ and EE calipers going through the build until it got to its end game.

This post will be slightly different in the sense it is an “un-build” post. I finished the bike, had 12 months of pictures, had never posted about. Took it apart over the weekend, weighed and photographed everything, will post here in reverse order. The only thing which doesn’t really work is the picture of the crumpled up bar tape sat on the scale.

The frame is currently on eBay (shameless plug: London pick-up only ending this Sunday, 13 May 2018). All the other nice bits and bobs, including a bunch of THM bottom brackets which were just installed but have no mileage, will go up for sale here on the sales thread.

Well, enough of the small talk. Without further ado, here is my sub-5 kilo project.

So there it is: a red box with bike bits.

Super Six Evo Hi-Mod frame, size 58, no derailleur hanger nor cable guide, FSA BB installed weighing in at 77 grams with all the bits. I literally bought 4 different PF30 BBs, kept the lightest model (the one that could have the plastic bit in the middle removed) and returned the rest. Frame only sans the BB would be 776.6, respectable for a size 58 in my books.

Full disclosure: I was going to post pictures of all the following bits but oh my would that be boring. If someone wants any of these posted, just ask for them!
Derailleur hanger, 9.4 grams.
Cable guide, 4.2 grams.
Rear tub, Tufo Elite 160, 158.1 grams.

Rear wheel, 20mm carbon tubular, bitex shimano hub, 579.3 grams.

Omni TI hub, 11-25, shimano, 114.0 grams with lock ring.

Extralite steerer bung, 5.9 grams.
Headset compression ring, 3.3 grams.
FSA SL ACB 1 1/4 45x45 bottom headset bearing, 16.8 grams.
FSA SL ACB 1 1/8 45x45 bottom headset bearing, 13.7 grams.

Uncut fork with crown race, 324.8.

Front tub, Tufo Elite 160, 160.0 grams.

Front wheel, 20mm carbon tubular, bitex hub, 441.4 grams.

Tune rear Skyline skewer, 10.0 grams.
Tune front Skyline skewer, 8.2 grams.

Low profile FSA super six headset dust cover, 4.1 grams.
10mm Mt. Zoom spacer, 2.9 grams.

Schmolke 42cm bars, 172.2 grams.

Extralite Hyperstem, 110mm, 7 degress, 82.3 grams.

Red 22 shifters, 286.1 grams.

Aican Bungarus rear shifter inner, 13.2 grams.
Rear shifter outer, a mix of Tune MTB old school brake cables with the outer pulled out and Aican bunagrus outers, 13.5 grams.
Front brake outer, regular shimano brake cable, 9.4 grams.
Front shifter outer, Aican Bungarus, 9.2 grams.
Aican Bungarus front shifter inner, 8.3 grams.
Rear brake outer, a mix of Tune MTB old school brake cables with the outer pulled out and Aican bunagrus outers, 8.2 grams.
Rear brake inner, forgot to photograph, but wrote it down: 14.4 grams.

Tesa fabric tape. A lot easier to weigh when reversing the process! 15.8 grams.

Bar end plugs that come with Deda Traforato tape, 4.5 grams.

Tesa tape installed!

Red 22 rear derailleur, 143.0 grams.
SRAM chain catcher, 8.0 grams.

Red 22 front derailleur, 75.1 grams.

Red 22 BB30 exogram crankset, 170mm, with that grey plastic spacer thing, 355.4 grams.
4 praxis bolts and that weird long bolt from behing the crank arm, 10.5 grams.

Extralite Octaramp 50-34 teeth, 96.4 grams.

Corima pads, 12.6 grams.

Planet X CNC calipers, pad holders and all nuts and bolts, 177.7 grams.

KMC X11SL chain cut for a 50-34, 11-28 system, 219.2 grams.
Mt. Zoom seatpost clamp, 6.2 grams.

Saevid Alien saddle, 81.1 grams.

Woodman Carbon seatpost, 27.2mm, cut down a bit, no setback, 103.8 grams

And all that bunch of pictures and weights equate to this (in terms of showroom weight, so no pedals or cages, and the fork never got cut so I don’t have the top spacers and top cap to balance that)

4.650 kilos, showroom weight.

Adding a cage and pedals:

Tune cage, 10.5 grams.
Cage bolts, 1.4 grams.
Plastic blips, 0.5 grams.

Look Keo Max Ti pedals, 184.9 grams.

And that’s that, complete bike at 4.850 grams. The one caveat would be “You need to glue the tyres, dude”. A very valid one, so as for what I know that would make it roughly 4.890 grams.

If this was as boring to read as it was to type, my apologies :lol: :lol: :lol: ! It was a greatly entertaining project which guided the best portion of one year of bike bits shopping. Well, done and dusted now, over to the next project (whatever that may be)!

Here’s a screenshot of the excel table for this bike also:

That’s that, everyone. Hope this helps someone. Live long and prosper, Weight Weenies.

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

Don't know what's up with the pictures that aren't playing ball. Will check out what's going on later in the week when I upload a screenshot of this bike's spreadsheet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Peeza21

by Peeza21

Saw the frame on eBay and was intrigued when reading it was part of a sub5 build. Good work.
Cannondale Systemsix Ultegra 2020 8)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=160844

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

When other builds share same parts as mine, a warm reassuring feeling well up in my chest. What's the budget of this build, did you reuse some parts from the spares bin or manage to find a bunch of good deals? Recently, an acquaintance asked me if a ~5kg road bike can be built for about USD4000, the question keeps bugging me ever since.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

You should've kept it all and rode the hell out of it!

DWatkinsBSB

by DWatkinsBSB

Valid point, 4ibanez! Problem is I'm too much of a sucker for projects and there are a few other bikes around, including the new work horse I'm hitting with the weight weenie stick. I really should get a few other posts up for the other bikes...

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

What are your thoughts in the chainrings? I just ordered a set for my build but after reading some of the reviews I'm a bit nervous.

velov

by velov

Bianchi10 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:08 am
What are your thoughts in the chainrings? I just ordered a set for my build but after reading some of the reviews I'm a bit nervous.
I would not run them on my main bike, best kept for the WW showpony build.

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

velov wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:17 am
Bianchi10 wrote:
I'm so on the fence!!! the response for these chainrings is literally split down the middle from "they are absolute rubbish" to "They shift flawlessly and I love them!" Is your experience with the new generation or the first styles?

Orbital

by Orbital

Bianchi10 wrote:
velov wrote:
Bianchi10 wrote:
I'm so on the fence!!! the response for these chainrings is literally split down the middle from "they are absolute rubbish" to "They shift flawlessly and I love them!" Is your experience with the new generation or the first styles?
I was just about to pull the trigger on Spécialités for my sram crank before yours came up for sale.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

Orbital wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:40 pm
Bianchi10 wrote:
velov wrote:
Bianchi10 wrote:
I was just about to pull the trigger on Spécialités for my sram crank before yours came up for sale.
I have to give a HUGE shoutout to Fairwheel. I've been tossing and turning about whether I should keep them or send them back. I called Fairwheel with one last ditch effort for them to give me some feedback. He said he had a like new but slightly used set of them on his desk. He's gonna ship them to me so I can try them for myself and then decide if I wanna keep them or return them. If I like them, I simply send back the used set and rock my new one. If I dont like it, I just return the new set and ship the used set back. This is the best of both worlds to be able to see for myself and not wonder how they would have performed and yet be given an out if I dont. So I guess I'll see here shortly!