1995 Specialized S Works M2 - Campy Bora rebuild

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Rule wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 3:57 pm

Thanks, appreciate it. The top plane of the bars is actually as good as horizontal and in line with the top tube of the frame. (photo was taken from low viewpoint).
Yes... that's the problem. That bar is an ergonomic shape and you're trying to position it, relative to the top tube, like a modern compact bar shape. That bar shape is not designed to be rotated the way you have it.

Rule wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 3:57 pm
The bottom section and top section of these bars are not parallel. If they were, i think the angle between the bottom and the backwards sloping part would become too acute to be comfortable. Ritchey logic. They are not my dream bars, but were easily and cheap to procure, and the Ritchey logos on the bar and the seatpost now match.
It sounds to me like you chose these bars based on the fact that the Ritchey logo matched, the price was right and they were within an acceptable weight range, without really giving though to the shape and how you prefer they fit. It's your bike and you can set it up however you like, but when I see a bike with bars set up like this, it makes me think that this person doesn't know how their bike should be put together. Loking at the rest of the build, its' clear that this isn't the case, which to me, is why these bars stick out so much. I think that when you actually get out and ride some decent distance with this set up, you'll find that there's not enough bar down at he bottom of the drop to feel comfortable and secure holding it. That is, assuming that you ride in the drops. I find that many people rarely do.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Very nice!!

How long is that stem?
Btw, will you tilt down bars a bit?

Rule

by Rule

Rotated the bar a bit as i was finishing the shifters and tape. Comprise between happy on the hoods and comfy in the drops. Stem for now is 90mm. A 100mm may work as well, but will see after some longer rides. For now, very comfortable in the drops. Tower above stem has to go at some point, but depends on whether i'm keeping this fork.
2016 Supersix High Mod - Red 11sp - EE - Bora 50 Ultra tubs / 2016 CAAD12 disc - Dura Ace - Hollowgram wheels / 1994 S Works - Chorus/Record - Bora 35 One clinchers

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Sorry, I focused on the pic without the bartape :) I see it now on the 1st picture.

Ruimteaapjes

by Ruimteaapjes

Gorgeous!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I really like this build, and the story, now that I’ve actually read the whole thing. Looks good, really good. And long after you’ve forgotten about those 2800 beers the bike is still going strong and taking on new life.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Rule

by Rule

Thanks Ruimteaapjes and Calnago.

A San Marco Aspide is on its way to replace the Phenom mtb saddle. Now i’m wondering if i should swap the new style Chorus for a pre ‘15 Campy crank at some point. It looks better with the slender tubes.
2016 Supersix High Mod - Red 11sp - EE - Bora 50 Ultra tubs / 2016 CAAD12 disc - Dura Ace - Hollowgram wheels / 1994 S Works - Chorus/Record - Bora 35 One clinchers