1995 Specialized S Works M2 - Campy Bora rebuild

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Rule

by Rule

This build uses the frame of my first real road bike, which I bought in 1996 for 2800 dutch guilders, down from 4999! Back then some fellow students were in disbelief that i bought this, while i could have had 2800 beers.....It came equipped with a full Ultegra 600 gruppo and Open Pro rims. Inpired by a friend’s retro builds i decided to rebuild this frame that has been sitting in a closet for nearly 8 years. Apart from the frame, i had some spare Campagnolo parts, including Bora 35s, so Campy was the way to go. The frame is 56cm cntr to cntr and made of 6061 alloy tubing reinforced with aluminum oxide ceramic particulate, supplied by Alcan and then marketed as ‘M2’. Nice touches are the 'made in the USA' decal and the titanium seat clamp.

I'll keep up to date images here as i progress. Saddle is placeholder. Tower above stem will go one day.

The frame weighs (don't fall off your chairs) a healthy 1435g, incl hanger (excl cable stops, seat collar, bottle cage bolts). Think of it as an Estheticweenie build instead of Weightweenie one.

Original titanium seat post clamp @ 24.0g : keeping that!

Made in the US of A

Love the color and the simplicity of the decals. The paint is pretty fragile though.

Last edited by Rule on Sat May 12, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 18 times in total.

Rule

by Rule

Straight out of the closet with Bora 50s to see what it would look like.

First thing on the list was to swap out the fork for a 1” threadless, straight legged carbon fork. Easier said than done, without breaking the bank. Alpina made (?) a nice one. Hylix has a full carbon one, but not sure on that. I finally picked up a new Origin 8 Synergy heavy @665g cut down incl race, but will do for now. Took out the threded headset and installed a Cane Creek 40: i want all the accents to be black to match the Campy group. The Cane Creek race was impossible to install by me and LBS, so we split the race and cut the steerer down a bit until i get everything tuned in.

First impressions of where things are headed. Installed a Chorus 52/36 and Chorus dual pivot brakes. I thought the Deda stem was going to be ok (-6 deg), but looks horrible, plus it has way too much graphics on it. I ordered a Uno -17 deg stem instead. The Ritchey seat post will need to be blackened out.

Last edited by Rule on Sat May 12, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 6 times in total.
2016 Supersix High Mod - Red 11sp - EE - Bora 50 Ultra tubs / 2016 CAAD12 disc - Dura Ace - Hollowgram wheels / 1994 S Works - Chorus/Record - Bora 35 One clinchers

by Weenie

Rule

by Rule

I still had a Record 11 sp rear derailleur in the closet and got a used matching record front derailleur. In order to keep the tire clearance good and the tube line pures i found this glossy Cutter carbon front 31.8mm clamp @6.2g that nicely matches the Boras with the exposed weave.

Of course Campy has to be complicated and provides their front deraileur with a curved 'washer'. Using a temporary plain M5x16mm bolt (no stainless at Homedepot...) until i get a black titanium somewhere.

Last edited by Rule on Mon May 07, 2018 3:02 am, edited 5 times in total.
2016 Supersix High Mod - Red 11sp - EE - Bora 50 Ultra tubs / 2016 CAAD12 disc - Dura Ace - Hollowgram wheels / 1994 S Works - Chorus/Record - Bora 35 One clinchers

raincity

by raincity

Black out the fork too. I like where you're headed.

Rule

by Rule

Chorus shifters are good enough. Handlebars are some leftover Cannondale C1 bars, will remove graphics!

Chorus chain and 12-27 cassette

Cable time soon! Black handle bar tape on it's way.
Last edited by Rule on Sat May 05, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rule

by Rule

raincity wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 6:19 pm
Black out the fork too. I like where you're headed.
Thanks. I would if i could leave the carbon bare, but I'm afraid that the glueing of the carbon to the metal uppers is at brake caliper level. Then it would need a paint job which i dont feel like. I'm keeping an eye out for Alpina forks or others maybe. These ones flare out too much near the the brake attachment. Ideally, they should be the same width as the headtube

poursuivant

by poursuivant

Columbus minimal is available in 1”

Specifically designed to complement for svelte classic tube sets like this. As a bonus it’s 340g.

http://www.columbustubi.com/eng/4_2_6.htm

Love the build by the way!

happyon2wheels

by happyon2wheels

What a great looking bike. Impressive what difference the straightbladed fork makes to the overall look. Perhaps consider a stem with steeper angle to follow the downward sloping toptube?

Rule

by Rule

poursuivant wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 6:06 am
Columbus minimal is available in 1”

Specifically designed to complement for svelte classic tube sets like this. As a bonus it’s 340g.

http://www.columbustubi.com/eng/4_2_6.htm

Love the build by the way!
Thanks for the tip. If the Columbus were straight, i’d go for it without blinking....i think i’ll finish the bike first and then come back at the fork issue. (-300 grams or better looks :roll: )
Last edited by Rule on Mon May 07, 2018 5:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rule

by Rule

happyon2wheels wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 8:59 am
What a great looking bike. Impressive what difference the straightbladed fork makes to the overall look. Perhaps consider a stem with steeper angle to follow the downward sloping toptube?
Agree, my main gripe as well. Steeper stem (-17 deg vs placeholder -6 deg) is on its way. The top tube is horizontal btw, maybe the perspective skewed the lines a bit.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Really sweet looking build... I'm a big Specialized fan boy and I'd love to build something like this at some point.
2016 Pactimo Brand Ambassador
http://www.Crankaddicts.cc
2017 Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL5
2015 Specialized S-Works Allez
2014 Specialized S-Works Shiv TT
2015 Specialized Venge Pro (Retired)

Rule

by Rule

Received the UNO 90mm -17deg stem @105gr. After 15 minutes of nail polish remover rubbing, a clean look. Instead of the Cdale bar, i found a Ritchey WCS logic ii @241gr on Craigslist nearby, so installed that after debadging. Decided to leave the Ritchey logos on seatpost and dropbar. Fork will be cut once i start riding and find my position. Will also remove the degree indication from the bars: when there are few details they better be good.

Current status. Bottle cages, Ebay carbon @21gr each, installed, as well as cables and outers. Classic cable routing makes life very easy.

Only waiting for black Campy cable stops now before taping the bars.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Rule wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 7:28 am

Only waiting for black Campy cable stops now before taping the bars.
Looks great... really great. The only thing I can see that I'd change is rotating the bars down a bit, so the flat section at the bottom is parallel to the ground. Probably have to adjust the levers slightly.
2016 Pactimo Brand Ambassador
http://www.Crankaddicts.cc
2017 Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL5
2015 Specialized S-Works Allez
2014 Specialized S-Works Shiv TT
2015 Specialized Venge Pro (Retired)

Rule

by Rule

Looks great... really great. The only thing I can see that I'd change is rotating the bars down a bit, so the flat section at the bottom is parallel to the ground. Probably have to adjust the levers slightly.
Thanks, appreciate it. The top plane of the bars is actually as good as horizontal and in line with the top tube of the frame. (photo was taken from low viewpoint). The bottom section and top section of these bars are not parallel. If they were, i think the angle between the bottom and the backwards sloping part would become too acute to be comfortable. Ritchey logic. They are not my dream bars, but were easily and cheap to procure, and the Ritchey logos on the bar and the seatpost now match.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

IT does look good.

by Weenie