Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Mep wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:14 pm
bruno2000 wrote:
Mep wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:29 am
Spoke to a dealer today who said that the new Madone SLR stem handlebar combo is not compatible with the Madone 9. Are they actually backwards compatible?
bruno2000 wrote:The Madone 9 in this top is compatible with both normal handlebar/stem and the Bontranger one piece handelbar/stem.
You just need another topcap for the headset with a hol ein front where the cable go in the headtube and frame.

The Madone is also suppose to work with the new Madone SLR handelbar and stem according to Trek Benelux.
I hope so as I have ordered the new stem and handlebar and should have it next week...
Nice, congrats on the purchase. Please let us know here how it turns out!
Quick updateon the new MAdone SLR stem on the 'old' Madone 9 frame.
the new stem and the old spacers do not fit.
I suppose I will need to buy the new spacer-kit too?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Can you provide more details on this? How doesn't it fit?

izza

by izza

They can be made to fit.

I used the old stem/bar for 6-8 weeks on my SLR frameset before the new stem/bar arrived.

The reason they are claimed not to be compatible relate to the position of cables (they can be made to go round corners) and the locking pins (which on the bottom row can be ground off).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bruno2000

by bruno2000

izza wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:49 pm
They can be made to fit.

I used the old stem/bar for 6-8 weeks on my SLR frameset before the new stem/bar arrived.

The reason they are claimed not to be compatible relate to the position of cables (they can be made to go round corners) and the locking pins (which on the bottom row can be ground off).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So you suggest to use the 'old' headset topcap and the old spacers with the new stem/handlebar?
There is a difference in the headset-topcap, the 'old' cap has a hole in the back for the rearbrake housing, the new Madone SLR topcap does not have that?
SO it might be better to use the old topcap and spacerkit and make them fit?

bruno2000

by bruno2000

FIJIGabe wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:26 pm
Can you provide more details on this? How doesn't it fit?
The topcap and spacers of the new Madone SLr are smaller in size, the pins in the spacers to make them fit are different and the topcap does not has the hole in the back for the rearbrake housing as on the old Madone.